Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wait_Dont_Sh00t

Looking for some advice

9 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
121 battles

Hey guys, 

I was hoping you could help me out with some questions I had! I have been recently working on my carriers. I have a tier v Japan and tier vi USA.

I was wondering which you recommend to stick with. Obviously, I played both so far, but I just can't pick one to stick with. Lately when trying to play my Tier V Japan Carrier, I get absolutely destroyed/camped with US Fighters that I can't do much about. Though it is nice being able to attack a ship from two sides with my planes. They just feel so squishy though and get destroyed pretty fast. The US planes feel a lot stronger, though not as many units obviously.

So I guess first off...Which would you guys recommend to stick with, the US or Jap Carriers?

Second, what would be some good upgrades to add to either of the ships via the modules menu? Same for the Captain as well, I have no idea where I should be putting my skill points.

Third, any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

[USNGL]
Members
85 posts
4,379 battles

I have played exclusively US carriers and while I don't consider myself the foremost expert. I can say that US carriers are fun to play. For carrier premiums the US has by far the best ones. Saipan and Enterprise are great at their tiers. Ever since the carrier revamp the Lexington is absolutely god awful at T8 and the Essex is not too much better. If you play the Lexington and you are fighting a enterprise or a shokaku you've essentially lost the air war barring mistakes by the enemy player. 

For upgrades anything that buffs your planes are a must have. You may want to buff fighters if you play the US. 

For captain skills Don't touch emergency take off or the other one that increases the health of planes when they are returning to the carrier. 

A must have skill is Air supremacy which you MUST get as soon as you get your carrier captain to 10 points. 

Learning to alt drop and strafe as soon as possible will be a great benefit to your carrier career. 

Best of luck. 

• Cool 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,347 posts
9,543 battles

Generally speaking, IJN is stonger, you'll see that with the Ryujo. Overall the USN CV's got a buff in usefulness recently, despite what some people have been whining about with the loss of the all or nothing strike and air superiority load outs. I'd at least get the IJN line to tier 6 to see how they actually run before making any decisions.

For Modules, Air Groups mod 1, Air Groups mod 2 on IJN, maybe Flight Control mod 1 on USN CV's

Air Groups mod 3 on pretty much everything that can take it.

Anything to burn less or hide your ship.

For captain's skills, usually dog fighting expert, aircraft servicing expert, usually torp acceleration, usually Torpedo armament expertise, Air Supremacy, frequently concealment expert, sometimes basic and/or advanced firing training.

• Cool 2

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

If you have any doubts about your squad management, a US carrier will bend you over every time. But the Japanese have incredible striking power. Remember it all changes when manual drop comes at tier 6

Fwiw Im no CV expert either. I just know a thing or two

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles

USN carriers are easier and more comfortable to play. However, they lack versatility and can get outplayed quite easily if the enemy knows how to control their fighters (this mostly applies to the T7 and T8 tech tree CVs). This remains the case until T10, which is doing quite well for itself against the Japanese T10 with less effort required.

IJN carriers require more micromanagement, but they scale better with skill and will ultimately teach you to be a better CV player. Even after all the changes, they perform better than their American tech tree counterparts up until T10, like I said earlier.

Personally, I stuck with IJN until I felt like I learned enough of the basics, and then I branched out into the USN and put that knowledge to use. This was back before T4 and T5 CVs had manual attacks removed, but I still managed to push a ~60% win rate with the much-hated Bogue.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

Welcome to the forums.

I recommend sticking with the Japanese carriers. They have a larger variety of flight controls from tier six onward, so you can pick bomber-focused or air-superiority loadouts depending on your playstyle.

A tip for when you’re fighting American fighters with your Japanese fighters: avoid one-on-one squadron fights if you can. Instead, bait them over friendly cruisers or battleships first so that their AA can help your fighters. In the higher tiers, this also allows you to strafe out at any bombers targeting nearby friendlies. Just be careful not to lead the enemy’s aircraft over friendly destroyers.

And a tip for manual bombing and strafing: it’s a good idea to practice in Co-op until you feel comfortable with the controls for manual attacks. They’re essential skills in high-tier carrier play.

If you need help with anything else, don’t be afraid to ask. Good luck with your carrier grinds!

• Cool 1

Members
27 posts
1,112 battles

The only reason to suffer through the American tech tree carriers from tier 7 onward is the Midway.

Edited by crazyquest

Members
5 posts
121 battles

Thanks again guys. 

I got lucky and got 50k free xp in a crate, so now I'm trying to decide which line to proceed with. I ended up getting a US Captain with 10 skill points, so part of me is leaning towards the US, but everyone says the IJN is superior to the US.

So I can either proceed to tier vi Jap carrier with my lower level captain...

or..

Proceed to tier vii US Carrier with my 10 skill point captain. (If not carriers, which ships do you recommend for US to use that captain with?)

What do you guys recommend, stick with ijn still?

Edited by Wait_Dont_Sh00t

1,542 posts
26 battles

If you're looking purely for firepower, I'd go IJN but for comfort and ease of play USN. I always feel like I take to USN better whereas with the IJN I need to play around with the ships for a while before I get used to them

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this