You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

IFHE skill for La Galisonnaire commander worth it?

13 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,019 posts

I'm getting close to having enough points on my La Gal commander to pick up this skill. ( I really like the looks of this ship, so this commander will stay with it permanently)

I'd like to ask folks if they think it is worth it, or just a waste of 4 points better spent elsewhere for this ship?

(I hate the reduction in the fire chance for the 6" guns with it, but against T8 cruisers it is matched with way too often for my tastes, is the trade off worth it for the pen damage?)

Edited by capncrunch21

Members
18 posts
8,270 battles

Hi!

If you already have Concealment Expert  and are keeping this captain on the Gasoline or DeGrase  then I would say perhaps.  If you are going up the line and don't want to pay for a respec then a big no.  The T7 and up are all heavy cruisers with 203 mm or higher calibre.

CE is always 1st because the ability to vanish is golden.

-bye for now.

Members
842 posts

IFHE really helps the LaGlass.

Without it, it can't pen 25mm armor. With it, it can pen 32mm of armor.

The difference is that pretty much all T6+ BBs and CAs are covered in 25-32mm of armor.  I'd estimate that IFHE on a LaGlass increases the ability to penetrate on close to 75% of all BBs and CAs that it ever sees, and for those it does now allow to pen, you easily triple the number of pens.

I actually went for IFHE *before* I got CE, as I'm going to be non-stop blasting away in the LaGlass, so concealment isn't that important (and the maps tend to be smaller for T6, so it gets spotted anyway).

[CVA16]
Members
2,281 posts
9,859 battles

Don't have IFHE YET and do notice that often the only damage I'm doing with HE is with fire. Lots of shatters, sometimes even against DDs??? Need one more point for IFHE and am assuming the drop in fire chance will be more than compensated by doing HE damage. Still have to remember to switch to AP when I get that full broadside though. The captain swaps between the Emile and the DeGrasse. Got new captains for the Algerie on up.

[SPTR]
Members
25,791 posts
11,083 battles

Get it for any non british CL that gets into matchmaking that sees BBs that are T6+.

Edited by Rolkatsuki

[BBC]
Beta Testers
38 posts
2,692 battles

La Galisonnaire and De Grasse benefit greatly from IFHE and without it you will be getting a ton of 0 damage shatters against battleships making the ship entirely reliant on setting fires during long range shooting.  I pushed through it without IFHE as the T7+ French cruisers don't need it.  I did make a dedicated De Grasse commander with IFHE, which I picked up after concealment.

[CVA16]
Members
2,281 posts
9,859 battles
3 hours ago, Obeyrist said:

I did make a dedicated De Grasse commander with IFHE, which I picked up after concealment.

Working on same now. 1 pt away from IFHE. Hope it makes a noticeable damage difference. (more shell damage but fewer fires)

[SIMP]
Members
1,019 posts

Well, I took the plunge.

10 point captain with IFHE on La Gal now. Very first game saw a huge difference in number of penetrations. I used to get 1 pen, 5 shatters - this game, 5 pens. 

That isn't to say the pens do spectacular damage, they are still 6" guns after all, but at least they are consistently doing (small) damage and not reliant on RNG for fires to bring up the Damage scores. Fire is just a bonus now. :cap_like:

I'm pretty happy with the results. Thanks guys for your input! :Smile_honoring:

[CVA16]
Members
2,281 posts
9,859 battles

I also FINALLY got IFHE on my E Bertin/De Grasse captain (free XPd the last little bit out of impatience) and it makes a huge difference. I may not be starting quite as many fires BUT I don't get a lot of zero damage salvos either like I did before. Very useful in Hermes where enemy ships often don't last long enough to burn down or are already fully on fire so shattering HE  was useless, and AP subject to lots of bounces against bow on targets.

[SPTR]
Members
25,791 posts
11,083 battles
19 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I also FINALLY got IFHE on my E Bertin/De Grasse captain (free XPd the last little bit out of impatience) and it makes a huge difference. I may not be starting quite as many fires BUT I don't get a lot of zero damage salvos either like I did before. Very useful in Hermes where enemy ships often don't last long enough to burn down or are already fully on fire so shattering HE  was useless, and AP subject to lots of bounces against bow on targets.

I don't think you can take the Bertin and Grasse to the Hermes operation since it only allows some tier 7s and the Richelieu, did you happen to mean the captain in a ship suitable for that operation such as a Algerie, Lyon, Richelieu or Gascorne?

Edit: sorry Im confused I think you mean the Algerie 

Edited by Rolkatsuki

[CVA16]
Members
2,281 posts
9,859 battles
4 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Edit: sorry Im confused I think you mean the Algerie

My Bad. I was thinking of the other Tier 6 OPs

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[AR]
Members
43 posts
5,120 battles

IFHE at tier 6+ is OP. And you will continue to run it until tier 10 when the rounds are significantly different.