You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Map PSA: Okinawa

15 comments in this topic

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles

I'm certain this will not reach the people that need to hear this, but if someone is enlightened by this it's worth it. Simply put: Going to A cap in full force, meaning the entire team, is almost guaranteed to be a loss. I have played this map now three times in a row, and the same result has occurred. You are cut off from the two other points on the map, and if your team goes the other direction you cannot support them. 

5a9c68b96e070_Dontdothis.thumb.jpg.dabe1bef845cadde6034f92842660fab.jpg

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,291 posts
12,830 battles

Worse is when the people going to A don't even go to A but the long way around.

• Funny 1

Members
411 posts

I agree with you on the premise that you're playing with a majority of potatoes. Competent division mates and players can find good arcs over the islands to provide fire support to B.

Does it happen often? No. But it is possible to do well with an AB strategy.

Team coordination and individual skill will win out 99.9% of the time IMO, no matter what adjacent caps your team decides to press.

Beta Testers
1,839 posts
10,762 battles

I think most people play this game not to win, but to be safe. That's why they are attracted to where islands are. The more isolated, the better since if you can't see them, they can't see you.

Image result for ostrich head in sand

Members
835 posts
4,635 battles

A can be good for a cruiser with high firing arcs and good stealth, but otherwise the team should be fighting for B and C, and let A be sneak-capped. A powerful cruiser can ward off or kill enemy DDs and then fire over the island with relative impunity, while holding a capture point.

Just my $0.02 though as I'm bad with cruisers and mainly play destroyers and battleships.

Edited by LordGomes

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

An unopposed Mino at A gets some juicy broadsides at B and can lob over that island all day. 

That said...I effing hate this map more than any other for that reason.  Teams can't help themselves.  They are drawn to A like a moth to a flame.

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,532 battles
6 minutes ago, LastSamurai714 said:

An unopposed Mino at A gets some juicy broadsides at B and can lob over that island all day. 

That said...I effing hate this map more than any other for that reason.  Teams can't help themselves.  They are drawn to A like a moth to a flame.

That's because it's the only place with any real cover. I'm with the Warships Podcast folks in wanting to see heat maps of where people travel on most maps. In willing to put money down that on Okinawa and maps with massive open areas like it get most of their traffic around island cover. If Okinawa was a lower tier map it probably wouldn't be as bad of a map as it currently is. 

The only map with wide open spaces that I can think of that people go to said open spaces are North/Northern Lights and the a cap there due to the island blocking off the broadside shots from half way across the map. 

Members
2,487 posts
2,344 battles

Anytime I got this map, i've always spawned by C cap. So my issue has always been, how do I get into Takao's firing range without getting blown up.  But I can see the issue here.

Edited by Yoshiblue

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,400 posts
5,111 battles

Yup. With the change to Tears of the Dumpster, this is now the worst map in the game. One noob trap cap + no cover over the other half.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
3 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

That's because it's the only place with any real cover. I'm with the Warships Podcast folks in wanting to see heat maps of where people travel on most maps. In willing to put money down that on Okinawa and maps with massive open areas like it get most of their traffic around island cover. If Okinawa was a lower tier map it probably wouldn't be as bad of a map as it currently is. 

The only map with wide open spaces that I can think of that people go to said open spaces are North/Northern Lights and the a cap there due to the island blocking off the broadside shots from half way across the map. 

Seeing the heat maps would be very cool.

A rework of this map would be nice.  It worked wonders for tears of the desert.

[WOLF2]
Members
381 posts
6,227 battles

Yeah have seen this a few times.

Once had a game where we had 8 ships up in the B4-6 area...........which quickly explained why I had no support at B. :Smile_teethhappy:

This can happen on any map though really.  I've seen 7-8 ships up in the NE corner of shards behind the big islands.

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,374 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Worse is when the people going to A don't even go to A but the long way around.

Everyone knows  A is where you always go,   The Islands PROTECT !!!

Members
98 posts
3,471 battles

Someone once told me A was the best option for that map.

Needless to say that person didn't contribute much that match, or probably any match on okinawa for that matter

[SYN]
Members
14,471 posts
10,488 battles

people don't understand how to play this map.

You go after all of the caps and you make sure nothing slips through the sides, as you push or retreat, depending on numerical or tactical superiority in the region.

Line abreast and hope the reds screw up their line.

[-THOR]
Members
633 posts
3,279 battles
3 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

I'm certain this will not reach the people that need to hear this, but if someone is enlightened by this it's worth it. Simply put: Going to A cap in full force, meaning the entire team, is almost guaranteed to be a loss. I have played this map now three times in a row, and the same result has occurred. You are cut off from the two other points on the map, and if your team goes the other direction you cannot support them. 

5a9c68b96e070_Dontdothis.thumb.jpg.dabe1bef845cadde6034f92842660fab.jpg

This. This is something I've been trying to get across multiple times ingame.