You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Richelieu thread

28 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Have seen Alsace threads, Lyon threads, Normandie threads, even Bretagne threads but no Richelieu threads? So here's a thread to discuss the Richelieu, how it compares to it's T8 peers, it's French line peers and anything else Richelieu. Seeing how many of us shelled out money to get this ship early(didn't get the ship early but still shelled out the money, hope you're putting it to good use WG!), I'm surprised I haven't seen any enthusiasm about this one. 

Is that a stapler the ship has on the stern?

Members
411 posts

Love it. Easy 100k damage-a-game for the most part. Bow-in at a distance is best and quite vulnerable from the sides.

I specced for secondaries, and at 10.1km and they're good fire starters. I've gotten plenty of secondary kills as well without having the manual AA spec yet, too.

I've found the speed boost quite handy and I like that it has to give up a slot for aircraft to do it. It's a nice challenge.

It's guns are slightly inconsistent, but the arcs, velocity, and penetration are great! They also find heavy cruiser citadels every other salvo for me, and that's without using the primary armament module.

Just my two cents.

Members
835 posts
4,631 battles

That's good to hear, I have the Lyon and I'm looking forward to the Richelieu, a very nice looking ship and one of the largest battleships ever built by a European navy.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
84 posts
3,577 battles

I finally got mine fully specc'ed out and played her last night. I used a 17 pt CPT with secondaries build and as Konigstiger VII points out, her secondaries are a beast! Since I already had the tier 6 Dunkerque in my fleet, I very much play the Richelieu like the Dunkerque, nose in and only swinging her broadside when no BB's are present, to unleash her secondaries. The accuracy seems to be a bit better than the Lyon but play her as a close and mid range brawler, even though she's got long'ish ranged guns. I too chose her speed boost over scout plane because it enhances her ability to move about to another spot far quicker, not to mention disrupting otherwise potentially well placed shots by the opposing teams when in a brawl.

Looking forward to playing this one a bit and will purposely take my time grinding to the Alsace, just to gain a 19 point commander.

Members
3,564 posts
6,893 battles

As a collector Richelieu is a must-have for me; that said, I am enjoying Lyon and Alsace much more so far.

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles

Does Reichlieu have rail guns for main guns?  Cuz ive been shot at by like 6 AI Reichlieu salvos and EVERY fking one of them is 15K+ hits, 2 being from 18-20km, even while im turning......

The other 3 were close [edited]range, but yeah, thing seems to have some pretty amazing guns.

Members
544 posts
2,961 battles

Good velocity but dispersion is pretty awful. Secondaries suck, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Range is there but unless you're showing your [edited]only about 4 turrets have firing arcs and 2 shoot very slow.

On the plus side I actually really like speed boost. Not so much the top speed increase but the HP increase it gives you lets you accelerate/decelerate in forward and reverse very fast so you can get out of torps pretty reliably.

Edited by ksix

Members
3,797 posts
14,092 battles

I just got Richey-Loo from the quest. I've tested her out in scenarios and Co-Op but not in Random yet. She strikes me as being a pretty good ship except for her accuracy. Her shell dispersion makes the German shell dispersion look rail gun accurate! The 23km range aint worth a plugged nickel if you cant hit anything except the ocean, and I'm doubtful of even hitting that. I've yet to determine is she's a decent brawler because Richey damn sure aint a sniper.

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles

I played Richelieu a ton during the camo event(got her from a container) and had some mixed games, but I felt I was getting more proficient. Here's my 2 cents:

You can get lucky with long range shots but generally you should try to get into mid range and don't be afraid of short range either, especially with the Honore captain specced with turret traverse. With or without boost, you can turn around BB's and their guns cannot rotate fast enough.

I also found bow tanking to be good, especially if your flank was protected by an island.

It up-tiers pretty well; I never really felt I was under-gunned in a T10 game as long as you played relatively cautiously.

It flanks well, and keeps up with cruisers, which is especially useful if you division with a cruiser friend.

It's dispersion can seem a little off at times, especially from distance.

It tends to attract a lot of fires from British BB's and cruisers in general, but that boost can get you out of trouble.

Overall I like the ship and it's a keeper. One thing I will add though. If you play this ship a lot, and the french BB's in general, jumping into any other nationality's BB's will feel sluggish by comparison.

That's about all I can think of, and no doubt someone will disagree with one or more of my points, but then again, I main cruisers, not battleships.

[YETI]
Members
105 posts
4,599 battles

At first, I was not sold on the 2 quad barrel turrets up front and was actually thinking of free XP'ing to the Alsace, but I figured I could at least give her a try and I'm glad I did.  It's a great ship and I'm having some really nice games.  Latest was a 184K damage game with 4 citadels, dev strike, high caliber and confederate.   In a previous game took out a North Carolina at 10km (had 22K health) with 1 citadel and 8 pens.

The only issue I've been having is the front turrets getting knocked out regularly.

Would love to hear your feedback, but what I've noticed at around < 15km to register cits on broadside BB, I had to aim not at the waterline but above (about half way mark).

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
On 3/5/2018 at 10:07 PM, ksix said:

Good velocity but dispersion is pretty awful. Secondaries suck, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Range is there but unless you're showing your [edited]only about 4 turrets have firing arcs and 2 shoot very slow.

On the plus side I actually really like speed boost. Not so much the top speed increase but the HP increase it gives you lets you accelerate/decelerate in forward and reverse very fast so you can get out of torps pretty reliably.

This. Man this ship is a disappointment so far in my book. But then, I enjoy playing my Montana, GK and Yamato... if you're going to be in a Tier X match, play a tier X. 

I mistakenly config'd her for secondaries. After experience the German BB 2nds, especially GK's, the Rich's are rather pathetic. No offense, but they are so very weak. You get a few pop pops... then wait, wait, wait, wait.. nothing. Finally you give up and a few seconds later, pop, pop, pop... 

I've had the Dunker for a good long while.. I have only a handful of missions in the Rich at this point... but on a strict tier by tier comparison, I'd rather take the Dunker to battle in her tiers than the Rich into a mix of T8/9/10. 

Someone tell me the last two BBs in the French line are more battleship-like, yes? 

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
18 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

This. Man this ship is a disappointment so far in my book. But then, I enjoy playing my Montana, GK and Yamato... if you're going to be in a Tier X match, play a tier X. 

I mistakenly config'd her for secondaries. After experience the German BB 2nds, especially GK's, the Rich's are rather pathetic. No offense, but they are so very weak. You get a few pop pops... then wait, wait, wait, wait.. nothing. Finally you give up and a few seconds later, pop, pop, pop... 

I've had the Dunker for a good long while.. I have only a handful of missions in the Rich at this point... but on a strict tier by tier comparison, I'd rather take the Dunker to battle in her tiers than the Rich into a mix of T8/9/10. 

Someone tell me the last two BBs in the French line are more battleship-like, yes? 

Richie is very good, HR.  Hybrid man secondary spec with main batt disp mod and conceal on the commander.  Run speed signal if you can and rudder shift mod.  This thing is a high speed flanker, hit and run artist.  You pop out on the flank and catch that Musashi or Yamato bow on where he thinks he's safe and triple cit him.  Secondaries are effective with BFT and AFT which also provides quite good AA protection.  Bow tank only as a last resort.  Keep moving and wreak havoc.  The speed boost is very useful when you have to turn and run, often shells will fall behind the ship entirely.  Mean little tool of death.

Also I was getting one shell cits on cruisers at any angle regularly.  It actually surprised me how much this would happen.  

Edited by BullHalsey

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
2 hours ago, BullHalsey said:

Richie is very good, HR.  Hybrid man secondary spec with main batt disp mod and conceal on the commander.  Run speed signal if you can and rudder shift mod.  This thing is a high speed flanker, hit and run artist.  You pop out on the flank and catch that Musashi or Yamato bow on where he thinks he's safe and triple cit him.  Secondaries are effective with BFT and AFT which also provides quite good AA protection.  Bow tank only as a last resort.  Keep moving and wreak havoc.  The speed boost is very useful when you have to turn and run, often shells will fall behind the ship entirely.  Mean little tool of death.

Also I was getting one shell cits on cruisers at any angle regularly.  It actually surprised me how much this would happen.  

I shall take your advise under advisement :cap_like: I do want to like her as <ahem> I thoroughly enjoy the French cruiser line and the French BBs to this point. I'll swap some things about and come back in a couple days. 

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
On 6/27/2018 at 11:01 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

I shall take your advise under advisement :cap_like: I do want to like her as <ahem> I thoroughly enjoy the French cruiser line and the French BBs to this point. I'll swap some things about and come back in a couple days. 

Sadly I got to the cruiser murderer Alsace and commenced such a disgusting losing streak despite all my other #s in it...I actually stopped playing Alsace to let that crap cool down or whatever it has to do.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
4 hours ago, BullHalsey said:

Sadly I got to the cruiser murderer Alsace and commenced such a disgusting losing streak despite all my other #s in it...I actually stopped playing Alsace to let that crap cool down or whatever it has to do.

Well now that's not what I wanna read! :cap_hmm:

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
6 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well now that's not what I wanna read! :cap_hmm:

Just my luck I don't know.  Really feels like the more veteran you are the crap MM you get.  Then I play DD and win steadily so make sense if that.  Me with a 38% WR in Alsace after 50 or so battles?  Either I started sucking instantly or something else happened.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

All I can say to that is... :cap_fainting::cap_wander:

Like hitting a wall... well, maybe ya need a short break? Might help? 

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 6/29/2018 at 2:19 PM, BullHalsey said:

The Alsace is actually a poor cruiser murderer.  Her 15" shells constantly bounce on even medium range cruisers of her tier bracket.  I've stopped AP against almost altogether and use the tactic of smothering them with the secondary battery and HE fire.  At least then the Alsace can far outlast a cruiser in that circumstance in survivability and dmg%.  AP is usefully only under 14km, but even cruisers can shrug that off with angling.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
12 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The Alsace is actually a poor cruiser murderer.  Her 15" shells constantly bounce on even medium range cruisers of her tier bracket.  I've stopped AP against almost altogether and use the tactic of smothering them with the secondary battery and HE fire.  At least then the Alsace can far outlast a cruiser in that circumstance in survivability and dmg%.  AP is usefully only under 14km, but even cruisers can shrug that off with angling.

I got solo warrior in Alsace just the other day by deleting a full HP Minotaur right in his face while dodging torp salvos like a crazy person.  If you mean it lacks the bow overmatch of a 16"+ gun BB, yes it does.  But that's ok I won't nerd out with you.  You are right and I am wrong.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
2 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

I got solo warrior in Alsace just the other day by deleting a full HP Minotaur right in his face while dodging torp salvos like a crazy person.  If you mean it lacks the bow overmatch of a 16"+ gun BB, yes it does.  But that's ok I won't nerd out with you.  You are right and I am wrong.

In the face?  As in through the bow?  I guess it's possible but for me if feels like most of the shots will just glance off the bow.  Only a broadside cruiser can I reliably delete, and that doesn't happen often because they tend to notice the thousands of secondary shells being showered on them.  And hitting their sterns isn't that reliable for me either.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

In the face?  As in through the bow?  I guess it's possible but for me if feels like most of the shots will just glance off the bow.  Only a broadside cruiser can I reliably delete, and that doesn't happen often because they tend to notice the thousands of secondary shells being showered on them.  And hitting their sterns isn't that reliable for me either.

No in the front quarter; he turned to torp me point blank and got deleted just before he could fire.  If they are properly angled I'll go for superstructure and gun incapacitation.  They get discouraged rather quickly with broken guns, then they turn and die.

[DOG]
Members
438 posts
5,762 battles

I got Richelieu a few days ago, and I've been playing her with a 7-point captain, the A hull, the 23 km range, and the 30.4 knot speed.  The first few games were ugly.  I figured this ship was designed to keep the bow pointed toward the enemy, and she would get punished for even the slightest raising of her skirt to show a little broadside ankle.  But keeping my bow pointed toward the enemy tends to get me overextended unless I'm really careful.  I finally had a decent game last night by constant speed adjustments, including hitting the reverse button.  I'm not a fan of bow tanking, as I prefer to maneuver.  But I'll do what I have to do. 

I'm definitely getting the B hull when I grind enough XP.  I'll go ahead and get the speed upgrade too, even though lack of speed doesn't seem to be one if her weaknesses.  I'm not sure I'll bother with the range increase, since I seem to have trouble hitting anything over 20 km anyway.  Mostly I was looking at this ship as just something I had to grind through to get to Alsace.  But I'll keep an open mind.  It might be better with the B hull and a lot more commander's skill points.

Members
244 posts
1,273 battles

People see Richelieu, All Guns Forward and think "Because it is best ship at bowtanking I MUST bowtank" however Richelieu is a battleship first and foremost and a very fast one at that. Richelieu is happiest chasing down and eliminating isolated ships (esp cruisers) with that 34.6 knot speed boost and all guns forward allows autobounce pursuit angles without any rudder play to slow you down. Effectively you can run down much faster cruisers simply because, if they are sufficiently isolated and torpedoes are a nonfactor you need not maneuver at all. 34 knots in a straight line beats 29 knots serpentining wildly to avoid 15" gunfire.

Because of this Richelieu is strongest in late-game unlike say Yamato which devours BBs but cannot flex around the map or avoid enemy focus. Therefore it is imperative that you use Richelieu's exceptional agility and adequate armor to survive as long as you can. At 15km+ Richelieu has the unrestricted agility to avoid most enemy fire: Richelieu's maximum turn rate is approximately 4.5 degrees per second and her turrets turn 5 degrees per second. Moving ~26 knots turning this fast means as long as you do not get hit on the broadside you will take very little damage.

Bowtanking is still on the table but you should know when to execute this tactic.

Edited by Meeso_Thorny