You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GabeTheDespot

What is the best T9 CA

43 comments in this topic

[5BS]
Members
6,252 posts

Roon almost certainty is the best t9. The Roon can compete with a few of the T10's effectively and has a nearly identical playstyle to it's T10 brother, Hindenburg (just sans 1 turret). After that it's the Baltimore, for the time being, as its AP is super effective, and a tiny detection radius coupled with a 45 second (upgraded) radar makes her a bane for DD's. That will change soon, with the Baltimore made worthless at T8 and the Buffalo doesn't look too hot at the moment. I think the Dimitri will move in to the second spot with the Baltimore gone, with a great RoF and insane fire starting ability.

Beta Testers
457 posts
8,408 battles

would also agree that the Roon is pretty great...but i think its greatness is that its a bit of a jack of all trades:

decent arm

good guns

hydro and decent torps.

The only real drawback of the Roon is the turret arrangement with only one turret in the front..that makes certain situations tough.

I personally loved the Dimitri and St Louis...they are more classic CAs that do well kiting away and burning things down..but both of those ships really suffer when they are forced to close with other ships if they need to cap or the like. The Roon is one of the few CAs where i feel reasonably confident closing with other ships as the good armour can bounce (or at least not get citadeled) and the hydro/torps make it a very dangerous ship at close range.

Hard to say if its the BEST...but i will say with 100% confidence that the IBUKI is the worst T9 CA. ...it gave me pre-concealment buff PEPSICOLA PTSD.

:cap_viking:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
112 posts
9,704 battles

Easy. Kronstatd is best tier IX CA.

But in all seriousness, I think it's close between the St. Lou and the Roon for the roaming CA playstyle. I prefer the Lou for speed, traditional gun layout, and the more versatile shells. Roon was awkward for me and I always over-kited.

Baltimore, though... she's fun because of radar and USN AP. So satisfying to chunk anything that gives up too much broadside.

[KARP]
Beta Testers
204 posts
7,041 battles

I like all of the tier 9 cruisers thus far. Although not very popular, I liked the Ibuki. I wasn't particularly successful, wins wise, but I did enjoy her. The Roon is a strange beast and takes a bit to get used to. A solid ship though. It's weird that the DM and Neptune do not show up in my list even though I've had them for a while.

image.thumb.png.b2d2e135637fb9b875edc19c97f2a6a7.png

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
15 hours ago, yashma said:

What if I told you the Saint Louis also has an 8.8 second reload, but also higher fire chance and HE alpha?

what if I told you I prefer CM  

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,011 posts
4,848 battles

Ibuki is the flaming gate of suck that awaits the glory of the Zao.

Currently grinding out the Donkey...man am I having fun!

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,186 posts
11,727 battles

Roon is the least worst of the lot.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,820 posts
4,101 battles

Neptune is good, however I do not like the raised citadel coming from Edinburgh. But she is still good. 

Roon is just amazing to me. I really like that ship The only issue is the weirdish gun layout.But thats a minor QOL complaint. 

The rest, can't really comment on as I have not yet played. 

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I clicked with the Baltimore - can't explain it any better than that.

Spoiler

X4CiB05.jpg

I enjoy it so much I re-purchased it yesterday and moved Steven Seag...um John Doe - back to it, as I like it far more than the DM.

To be fair, though - the only other T9 cruisers I've played are Ibuki and Saint-Louis - and I enjoy their stand-off HE slinging less.

I'm at Hipper in the KM line, and looking forward to Roon.

[WOLF3]
Members
18,622 posts
16,995 battles
17 hours ago, yashma said:

What if I told you the Saint Louis also has an 8.8 second reload, but also higher fire chance and HE alpha?

Roon's got better shell flight characteristics, 1/4 German Cruiser HE Pen for reliable penetration damage.

If there is one thing about French Cruiser Shells is they hang more than Ze Germans.  Even Henri IV's shells hang compared to Hindenburg's.

There is also no denying the fire starting capabilities of Tier IX-X German Cruisers.  On paper S-L seems better in HE, but in practical terms, not really in fire starting, and Roon / Hindy can do more reliable HE shell damage and not just on fires.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NGAGE]
Members
4,277 posts
6,245 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Roon's got better shell flight characteristics, 1/4 German Cruiser HE Pen for reliable penetration damage.

If there is one thing about French Cruiser Shells is they hang more than Ze Germans.  Even Henri IV's shells hang compared to Hindenburg's.

I find the Saint Louis's shell arcs to be more than adequate for hitting BB sized targets at max range, and roughly comparable to German arcs which have their fair share of hang time at long ranges.  While the German 1/4 HE pen is nice, it's not enough to make up for the Saint Louis's superior DPM and fire starting.  Keep in mind the Saint Louis does have 8 inch guns after all, which doesn't exactly struggle to pen things.  Throw in the recent trend of more and more BBs getting 32mm deck armor, and it's not really an issue.

The Roon may be the stronger over all ship, but in terms of kiting/long range HE spam the Saint Louis has the superior potential.  

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

saint louis is just one dimensional vs roon.   decent damage farmer, but I hate how large and unresponsive it is compared to CM.    Roon is just fun bote.  agile with decent firepower.    while I do better with hindy  I have fun  with roon (kinda like khaba vs udaloi)  

[KNMSU]
Members
5,079 posts
5,357 battles
2 minutes ago, centarina said:

saint louis is just one dimensional vs roon.   decent damage farmer, but I hate how large and unresponsive it is compared to CM.    Roon is just fun bote.  agile with decent firepower.    while I do better with hindy  I have fun  with roon (kinda like khaba vs udaloi)  

This was my reaction to StL vs. CM as well - CM can dodge, bob, and weave. StL is a freaking brick. 

There's a strong case to be made that Charles Martel is the highlight boat of the tree.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i really like Algerie and CM.     have done well with both and just got algerie back for OP and general fun.      CM reminds me of murmansk during its heyday.  similar style  of saber dancing.

as far as roon,  i wish it had second torp rack on each side  :D.

[WOLF3]
Members
18,622 posts
16,995 battles
5 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Roon is the least worst of the lot.

No denying it.  Tier IX Cruisers are basically stepping stones to all the really cool Tier X ones.  They're improved versions in every way compared to the IX ones.  IX ships deal with X almost every match, so why stick with a Tier IX Cruiser when you have unlocked the X already?

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,002 posts
14,530 battles
21 hours ago, yashma said:

and the engine breaks if the cook farts.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Roon, with a relatively close second in the Donkey.

Everything else is just not in the same league.  Baltimore, Ibuki and Saint Louis aren't bad. They have their strengths, but they're not on the same level.