You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GabeTheDespot

What is the best T9 CA

43 comments in this topic

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Have been playing Roon for a week or so, almost done grinding the full captain and B Hull, even now, it is a monster. 

I think it is the best T9 cruiser with Neptune, and Dimitri Donskoi being hot on its tracks. The Roon has good DPM, effective AP and usable (but not preferable) HE, working armor, maneuverability, and crap, but workable, concealment.

Although the stats put it below Donskoi and Saint Louis, I believe the Saint Louis suffers stat inflation due to mostly more experienced players using it, and has limited DPM. I also believe that Donskoi’s low gun caliber limits HE’s effectiveness, and limits AP usefulness against heavily armored targets.

What do you guys think?

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
458 posts
18,909 battles

Depends on your playstyle and the MM mix. If radar isn't necessary, then the Roon's probably the most well rounded - tanky and still able to DPM. The Neptune's also good since it has it's own smokescreen, fairly long range torps and good AA that doesn't rely on DFAA but requires a very different playstyle - not everybody's going to do well with her. If you need radar, it's hard to argue against the Don since it has a range advantage over the Balti as well as much better gun arcs.  The Saint-Louis does great damage, but I don't know that it can influence games as much as any of the above. 

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

The Baltimore is extremely effective when played to its strengths.  It's fairly stealthy, a very powerful AA platform, it can abuse a lot of fun nooks on various maps, it absolutely eats other cruisers if it catches them out with the SHS and most people on this forum seem to think radar is so powerful the matchmaker should take it into consideration.  It's not easy to play, though, as it's poorly armored and doesn't have the easiest ballistics to work with.

Saint Louis, Donskoi and Roon are all fairly easy to play (for cruisers, which means still hard to play) with more well-rounded stats.  Donskoi is probably the most useful of the three because, again, radar is a bigger influence on who wins the game than the fact that Saint Louis is good at dodging incoming fire or the fact that Roon has a turtleback so it gets citadeled less often.

Neptune is hard to play and half the time I see one in game it ends up dying in a Devastating Strike.  Too many people have gotten too good at countering smoke-camping CL's.  It's certainly got the capacity to do a lot of damage before someone one-shots it, though, I guess.

Ibuki is completely terrible.  The answer to your question is definitely not Ibuki.  It's literally just a tier 7 cruiser with access to Repair Party and the tier 9 module slot.

Edited by Vaidency

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

baltimore can be strong when played to its strength, but roon is way more fun.   i am just more consistent in roon than any other t9 cruiser.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,844 posts
13,820 battles

I enjoyed playing the Baltimore and the Neptune so much while grinding to their respective Tier 10s that these two ships still sit in my port. I even play them occasionally. The Ibuki while serviceable and had useful torps was just to fragile to keep playing after the grind. I haven't reached the T9 Russian yet and I haven't played the Germans or French to offer an opinion. Frankly I'm not sure I even want to play the German or French cruiser lines. 

But my pick for the Best Tier 9 Cruiser is either the Missouri or the Udaloi. Both ships really excel in the Cruiser role. 

:cap_cool:

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,391 posts
5,093 battles

Roon has solid DPM, Neptune smoke sits well and has nice torpedoes, and Baltimore/Donskoi has solid radar. Donsoki is also a nasty flamethrower. Ibuki is a tier VII cruiser that at best can pointlessly farm BB damage at long range before losing over and over again because its game impact is zero. If you want that playstyle at tier IX just use St. Louis, because it does it better.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
14 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I enjoyed playing the Baltimore and the Neptune so much while grinding to their respective Tier 10s that these two ships still sit in my port. I even play them occasionally. The Ibuki while serviceable and had useful torps was just to fragile to keep playing after the grind. I haven't reached the T9 Russian yet and I haven't played the Germans or French to offer an opinion. Frankly I'm not sure I even want to play the German or French cruiser lines. 

But my pick for the Best Tier 9 Cruiser is either the Missouri or the Udaloi. Both ships really excel in the Cruiser role. 

:cap_cool:

i like udaloi, but  I do better with 8" cruiser that is somewhat tanky.       MO can use higher DPMS.  

t9ca.png

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Good feedback so far, the reason I didn’t mention Baltimore was because it was too situational IMO to qualify as best T9, no matter how good for competitive radar is.

[HRDP]
Members
2,718 posts
8,280 battles

Yeah, pretty much Roon is the best general purpose CA at T9. Donskoi is decent, but she is squishy. Neptune is typical of brit CL's in that she is horrible in the wrong hands but a monster in the right hands. But brit CL's require the enemy team to have a fair bit of stupidity. Smart play neuters the effectiveness of british CL's more than most cruisers. and St Louis is a very selfish ship, but if you learn how to shell dodge and equip her with the double rudder shift mod, she becomes the hardest T9 CA to kill, and is very flexible. Baltimore can have stellar games, but ultimately she is the second weakest T9 CA and overspecialized to a crippling degree, and while not as reliant on enemy team stupidity as Brit CL's, she still requires the enemy team to play fairly stupidly to be successful. Ultimately she is the second easiest Cruiser at T9 to counter with good play. However Ibuki is a god awful CA and far far worse than any other CA,, and likely one of the worst ships for its tier. Even though Ibuki is not a difficult ship to use, her DPM is horribly inadequate and her HP is slightly worse than both myoko and mogami.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,810 posts
10,333 battles

Roon.

Baltimore's got too short an effective range, but is useful for AA and radar. Ibuki lacks DPM or impact. Neptune's garbage with it's concealment and 6.6km in-smoke detection.Donksoi is a citadel.

Members
3,790 posts
14,062 battles

Roon is excellent! The only reason I no longer have her is that since I got Hindenberg I never use Roon.

The 2 tier 9 Cruisers I have are Neptune (with radar) and Saint Loiuie. I find them both to be very good ships.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles

Wow, this is tough. I think it's probably Roon, but Saint Louis is right there. It's definitely not Ibuki, which is just lousy.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,099 posts
6,832 battles

It's a close one for me between Ibuki and Roon.  I think the Roon is a little more robust and survivable, so it probably gets the nob from me.  But the Ibuki is a fantastic ship especially with those nasty torpedoes she has.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles

The one downside to the Roon (aside from its lack of radar) is its turret layout, i.e. AXY.  It's great for kiting, but not so great for hunting DDs when you might want to be bow-on to the DD.  Other than that, it's a fine T9 cruiser.

I think that the Baltimore is very good, but it's not a good kiting cruiser due to its slow, lofty shells.  Kiting cruisers are pretty easy to figure out how to play.  The Baltimore is a good deal trickier to figure out because it seems to prefer fighting at closer ranges when the shells become more accurate (and you're closer to radar range of whatever you want to light up).

Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

While the Roon has the longer range, i find the turret arrangement and the almost 3km smaller detection range just better with the Baltimore. The guns on the Baltimore also allow it to use islands which the Roon can't as well. 

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

I've only played three...

Neptune, Baltimore and Ibuki.

I can't say I really had a ton of fun in any of them.

My stats are the best for Neptune, but she had a rough learning curve.

[OPG]
Members
3,972 posts
5,678 battles

Depends on what you want in a ship.  The Saint Louis is the best kiter/HE spammer, but the Roon is probably the most well rounded.  My  heart says Saint Louis, but my brain says Roon. 

Members
1,305 posts
21,091 battles
4 hours ago, ryuukei8569 said:

But brit CL's require the enemy team to have a fair bit of stupidity. Smart play neuters the effectiveness of british CL's more than most cruisers. and St Louis is a very selfish ship, but if you learn how to shell dodge and equip her with the double rudder shift mod, she becomes the hardest T9 CA to kill, and is very flexible.

Very well put. 

Up to the Edinburgh, RN CL can really get up close and be DD killers, etc.  But T9 and up you get punished for trying to influence the game in the RN cruiser.  It really needs (spotting) help to shine.

I've got the Russian cruisers and have got up to the Charles Martel, and yes, they both seem to play similarly.  You have to be a selfish sniper from long range under most circumstances to do well.  I should try to German ones.  They seem to be capable of closer support than the RN, French, or Russian ones.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,121 posts
14,519 battles

Best Tier IX Cruiser?

For traditional ranged spam, the answer is easy:  Roon.  Saint-Louis is close, but Roon's 8.8 second reload makes her dangerous.

For a Cruiser that sneaks in to use Radar and help contest caps, the answer is very easy:  Baltimore.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ONAVY]
Members
147 posts
13,577 battles

I would go with the Donskoi mainly due to the impact the radar can have for the team in the early game. Both Roon and Donskoi kite really well and in the endgame both can push in with authority. Like others have said, really depends on your playstyle. I only give the Donskoi the edge because I like a team-centric approach. Can't go wrong with either one imho.

Das Bat

[OPG]
Members
3,972 posts
5,678 battles
51 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For traditional ranged spam, the answer is easy:  Roon.  Saint-Louis is close, but Roon's 8.8 second reload makes her dangerous.

What if I told you the Saint Louis also has an 8.8 second reload, but also higher fire chance and HE alpha?

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
9 hours ago, yashma said:

What if I told you the Saint Louis also has an 8.8 second reload, but also higher fire chance and HE alpha?

Depends on the build for both, while for Saint Louis it is a choice, for Roon it is the reload mod. The HE on Roon also goes over the 50mm pen threshold, which is quite useful. But Roon’s bread and butter is the AP, and that has always been the case.