You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

I have a Tiny Problem with Mid Tiers at the Moment

27 comments in this topic

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,741 posts
3,261 battles

I was in a T6 Match, no, multiple T6 matches last night as i ground through my La Galissonniere, and.... Have Battleships entirely forgot they have an AP option? I cannot tell you how many Battleships I fired at, and set on fire, and sunk as they all fired HE at me, whereas the few that actually fired AP managed to sink me.

YA7DNY0.jpg?1

UfSg8af.jpg?1

In this one match, the ENTIRE enemy team fired HE. Not one of them fired AP. Not one. Dunkurque which possibly has the best AP penetration in Tier 6, the enemy team had a division of three, and they all fired HE. Their Queen E only fired AP at me when I was within 5km of him, and his AP shells over-penetrated me at that distance. What is this? Battleships are not like cruisers, they don't fire AP under 10km only, on broadside targets only. It's one thing to be broadside to a Montana in my Yamato that fires an HE broadside at me, it's another when I am broadside, at 12km to a Fusou, and all I see are HE rounds flying at me from 16km away. I fed off of the HE slingers last night. And only really had problems with the BBs sniping me accurately from range with AP, and the cruisers too. But the Battleships firing HE at me? I can understand British Battleships, but why in all hell would a none British Battleship fire HE from the very beginning of the match, at broadside cruisers?

WG, releasing the British Battleships has released a virus that has infected the minds of players making them think it's okay to quite literally sling HE and not change shells at all, not even for specific targets. Allow me to thank you for making players switch to HE, so they don't outright delete my Cruisers, and allow me to farm hundreds of shell hits and tons of fire damage.

~Hunter

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Yeah lol I love using AP as a BB since a good salvo can totally obliterate an enemy ship. HE may set fires, but it fails to instant kill ships like AP can do.

[RLGN]
Members
8,269 posts
17,307 battles
24 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

HE may set fires, but it fails to instant kill ships like AP can do.

Yeah, such fun firing AP at broadside targets, seeing the spread fall between the forward and aft barbettes, and watching the overpen damage results roll up as RNG  gives you a big fat middle finger.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,622 battles

What?

HE isn't the right ammo for BBs? 

Next thing you're gonna tell me shoot AP in my DD!?

[VW]
Members
1,940 posts
12,499 battles

The best is when you tell/ ask them to shoot ap, why shoot he they say “it gives more consistent damage”

i love it when i see them doing this because it means i’ll be doing more damage!

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
3,741 posts
3,261 battles
14 minutes ago, pikohan said:

What?

HE isn't the right ammo for BBs? 

Next thing you're gonna tell me shoot AP in my DD!?

Not the whole damn match >.> All those broadside shots which should've one shot me, only took 5k HP and set a fire or broke modules, but didn't do anything else

~Hunter

[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,593 battles

Even I've been known to spam a bit of HE in my Dunkek, but that's only to punish those other BBs that think they can simply bow tank when I'm shooting at them.  Still though, my default is AP until a ship leaves me no choice.

Alpha Tester
1,306 posts
9,373 battles

I was gonna make a thread on this but I believe this issue lies with Brit BBs since they have great HE. That means noob players think other BBs also have the same HE potential which they don't. It's because Brit BBs get 1/4 HE pen, other BBs get 1/6. Noobs also like HE since they can always get damage and don't wanna learn to aim.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

You overestimate how much casuals care about efficiency and using the right kind of ammo and all that.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

they are trying to break your steering gears.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
3,741 posts
3,261 battles
58 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

they are trying to break your steering gears.

Too bad, my Steering Gears are hard to break. I maybe get them broken one out of 6 games? lol Cannot remember when the last time I lost steering gears was.

~Hunter

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

I wish I could say the same. I've had Normandys shoot AP at my DDs and anytime I would show broadside in my cruisers, AP will always be slung in my direction. 

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
304 posts
5,188 battles

I was in a game a week or so ago. Everyone kept rapping on the Missouri. It was me, this missouri, and two other BBs rushing into A in trap. A Z 52 presented himself, someone asks Missouri for radar... nothing... a minute goes by one of the other bbs gets torped by the z52. I say Missouri you know you have radar right? ... nothing I look over at him and what comes out of those 16” muzzles of death shooting at a completely broadside conquerer? You guessed it HE.  He finally popped radar after one of the other BBs was killed by the Z52 in the second torp salvo.  At least WG got all that free xp conversion $

:fish_palm:

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
202 posts
3,998 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah, such fun firing AP at broadside targets, seeing the spread fall between the forward and aft barbettes, and watching the overpen damage results roll up as RNG  gives you a big fat middle finger.

Yeah... This seems to be the way its working out for me too... Either that or watch dispersion grab those shells and have them land within 3 feet but, no closer, all around the target.

Members
2,398 posts
7,721 battles

Weekeds = lots of potatoes...

Members
1,844 posts
17,666 battles
1 hour ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Cannot remember when the last time I lost steering gears was.

I think I heard somewhere that it was probably about 6 matches ago...if that helps you remember at all (old age sucks...makes us forget the simplest things sometimes) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
68 posts
4,768 battles

It doesn't help that a certain fairly popular WoWS youtube personality suggests new BB players use HE until they get a better feel for the game aka angles/armor/penetration, that some consistent damage is better than no damage salvos. I think this starts new players off with the wrong mindset and they chose to never learn appropriate shell usage.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles

Happy to have enemy battleships shoot HE at me while I Citadel them.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
3,741 posts
3,261 battles
17 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Gabby to have enemy battleships shoot HE at me while I Citadel them.

Allows my La Gal or any cruiser I captain to survive longer so I can burn them to the waterline instead of having 3/4 of HP disappear from a single shell at the most retarded angle possible.

~Hunter

Members
1,020 posts
13,055 battles

I love getting into a one on one gun duel with a BB that's only flinging HE while I pound it down with AP. :fish_viking:

Just add it to that long list of mysterious head scratching behavior seen in the games.

Members
3,797 posts
14,098 battles
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, Hunter_Steel said:

I was in a T6 Match, no, multiple T6 matches last night as i ground through my La Galissonniere, and.... Have Battleships entirely forgot they have an AP option? I cannot tell you how many Battleships I fired at, and set on fire, and sunk as they all fired HE at me, whereas the few that actually fired AP managed to sink me.

Are you complaining? Hell, I wish I had your luck having BBs only firing HE at my Cruisers.

Also, please don't remind them! :cap_book: