You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ImperiumDylan

What nation and type of ships are best for armor and armament.

8 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Probably German battleships and their Cruisers get tanky up at the top also

Edited by silverdahc

Members
519 posts
3,443 battles
17 minutes ago, ImperiumDylan said:

I want to know. 

Just work your way up to the broken Conqueror ..

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

You want to be largely immune to damage and put out big numbers? Yamato is here for you. This is the choice for people who just want to angle, point, and click. Not worried about all that silly positioning.

Drop the armor and get reliable bigger numbers? Conqueror. Also for the people who want to click and shoot, just requires more patience.

Better armor but harder to use guns? Montana. For people who know what flanks and broadside opportunities are.

Best armor, RNG lol guns? GK. For the discerning masochist. Not for people who care about hit ratios.

Republique is neither of your criteria.

The best choice is of course Khabarovsk, properly angled it can bounce even Yamato shells. And the steady damage stream rivals the conqueror when used properly. It also beats all the other choices out by a large margin in the speed and concealment categories.

Members
1,156 posts
3,146 battles

Battleships have the best armor and hitpoints all around. By far the most survivable. The toughest of battleships are the german, from  my experience, although USA and british battleships can tank as well. 

For armament, it depends. Torpedoes from destroyers are incredibly powerful but have long reloads. Cruisers can dish out a high damage per minute, and battleships can hit incredibly hard with a well aimed salvo, but have to wait a long reload. 

As with most things in this game, there is no simple answer, it's a "it depends"

[LOU1]
Members
3,087 posts
8,164 battles

I think it is very dependent on your playstyle.  The purpose of armor is to protect you so that you can do more damage.  Armament exists to do that damage.  Many ships use speed or concealment as their armor.  ROF, turret speed, and accuracy greatly affect your ability to do damage.  In my case, as a former Scout IRL, a heavily armored (slow, unmaneuverable) ship with powerful (slow turning and reloading) guns is very uncomfortable.  I like a good balance, like some of the RN cruisers: speed, concealment, and accuracy.  Or, for heavy lifting, the battlecruiser-type ships like Scharnhorst, Dunkerque, Lyon and others.

As I suggested in the beginning, it all depends on your playstyle, which takes a bit of time to develop.  For example, I hated the USN cruisers for quite a while and stopped the line at Cleveland in disgust.  Since I don't sell ships, the Marblehead and Cleveland were still in my port when I gave them another try after a 1,000 battles, or so.  Cleveland is now my second main comfort ship.  The formerly hated Leander is another comfort ship.  Scharnhorst is now my goto ship when I want to go around causing trouble.  And, my moods tend to change from one week to another.  It is all a matter of personal taste.

Fair winds and following sea...

Edited by ExploratorOne
Spelling, grammar...

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
6 hours ago, ImperiumDylan said:

I want to know. 

American BBs have the best AP performance and AA. HE performance is mediocre. They also have good concealment. Their weakness is generally the very exposed citadels, which are typically above the waterline.

Brit BBs have high endurance, best repair, HE and concealment. However they suffer greatly in AP performance and AA (most is short ranged). The ships are generally pretty slow, but maneuver well.

German BBs have the best armor and secondaries. They are very hard to citadel, but their repair is worse than the Brits. They have good AP, but bad shell ballistics (Worse than Americans, but better than Brits). They also have weak HE. AA is mediocre, but can be good if specced for it. Speed and maneuverability are good, but not great.

IJN BBs are the default battleship line, thats good at everything but doesnt excell at anything. They have good AP (second only to Americans) and good HE (second only to Brits). The armor is good, but not great since citadels are above water on most ships. Their AA is weak and is mostly short ranged. Their speed is good but overall maneuverability is bad because the ships are very long.

... if I was to recommend one of these lines, I'd probably recommend IJN, as its a line that you cant go wrong with. Izumo is the only ship in the line that you may not enjoy, all others are good.

Edited by Ulthwey

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles

Sounds like German battleships are the way to go for you.