You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ImperiumDylan

What nation and type of ships are best for armor and armament.

13 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,863 battles

I would say German BB line. 2nd - Possibly British BB line

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles

Armor is German line for sure, armament would have to be IJN line, don't get me wrong the Germans guns are strong, they just can't hit anything. The IJN is the opposite, very strong and accurate guns but very soft unless used correctly (I.E. angling, bow on, island cover, ect). British line is strong in a different way because their had to citadel but overall soft and their AP shells are for the most part crap until high tiers. USN is the second most accurate line with very strong guns with ok/good armor but they trade for slow speed until high tier

Seeing as how your new the German line is good but it teaches you bad habits (sailing broadside and over extending), RN line is good for new comers but they teach different bad habits, like when and when not to use HE, yes you can spam it but if doesn't have the alpha (or devastating) power AP does. IJN is a good line all and all and the USN line favors more experienced players that know how to play tactically

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Once you've learned and mastered Angling anything with ~34mm armour or better will go a very long way..

Until you get HE spammed to death. 

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,863 battles
2 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Armor is German line for sure, armament would have to be IJN line, don't get me wrong the Germans guns are strong, they just can't hit anything. The IJN is the opposite, very strong and accurate guns but very soft unless used correctly (I.E. angling, bow on, island cover, ect). British line is strong in a different way because their had to citadel but overall soft and their AP shells are for the most part crap until high tiers. USN is the second most accurate line with very strong guns with ok/good armor but they trade for slow speed until high tier

Seeing as how your new the German line is good but it teaches you bad habits (sailing broadside and over extending), RN line is good for new comers but they teach different bad habits, like when and when not to use HE, yes you can spam it but if doesn't have the alpha (or devastating) power AP does. IJN is a good line all and all and the USN line favors more experienced players that know how to play tactically

IJN BB just teach how to sit back and shoot from 20 plus kilometres. :fish_boom:

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
2 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

IJN BB just teach how to sit back and shoot from 20 plus kilometres. :fish_boom:

Soon™ to be a French BB thing..

• Funny 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles
1 minute ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Yea theres that too, nothing like a Fuso sitting at the back of the map using his spotter and complaining how we lost the match and he ends at the bottom of the XP earnings. Been there and seen it to much

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles
8 hours ago, Ivlerlin said:

Soon™ to be a French BB thing..

Pretty wrong, because French BB players are finding their gunnery past 14km is suspect at best.  It's German BB quality dispersion, coupled with having underpowered gun caliber going as far as Tier IX.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,266 posts
2,029 battles

As of now the Germans have the toughest battleships, but tier for tier their firepower is typically the worst, coupled with meh accuracy.

The Americans and the Japanese have the best firepower typically, the American BBs are generally tougher than the Japanese though.

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Pretty wrong, because French BB players are finding their gunnery past 14km is suspect at best.  It's German BB quality dispersion, coupled with having underpowered gun caliber going as far as Tier IX.

Well, the République isn't a bad sniper.  Yesterday I dev struck an Iowa 21km away.  :cap_haloween:  And despite being only 15 inches, the guns on the Richelieu and Alsace hit hard, so if dispersion favors you they can be effective at range.....but that is still a big if.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles
16 minutes ago, yashma said:

Well, the République isn't a bad sniper.  Yesterday I dev struck an Iowa 21km away.  :cap_haloween:  And despite being only 15 inches, the guns on the Richelieu and Alsace hit hard, so if dispersion favors you they can be effective at range.....but that is still a big if.  

In terms of penetration, for Tier VIII+ French BBs, that's not the problem, as shown here in Psycodiver's thread.

The problem people have with French BBs is hitting.  Lyon at VII has famously bad sigma, but she gets 16 guns to cover up for her problems.  Then you got 8 gun Richelieu, Gascogne, that's where you start having gunnery problems.  Alsace has 12 guns at Tier IX to make up for mistakes, but 15" guns and all the implications like Cruisers there being able to face tank your AP are a problem.  They're just like German BBs.  You need to get closer.  Thankfully Alsace has great secondaries to help prop up her damage.  But if the match forces her to stay at 15km+, against the likes of Yamato / Musashi, Iowa / Missouri, Montana, that's not a great thing, IMO.  It doesn't help that her reload time is about equal with her 15" guns compared to Iowa / Missouri, Montana with their stronger 16"/50 guns.

As for Republique herself, I have no personal assessment so far from in game encounters.  I've only seen one briefly at 18km and citadeled it because it was distracted, and that was it.  Haven't seen one in PVP since that encounter.  The others from Tier V-IX I do have.  The dispersion is a common issue with them.

For me so far with French BBs, in terms of employing main battery and secondaries, they have a lot in common with German BBs, at least up to Tier IX.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For me so far with French BBs, in terms of employing main battery and secondaries, they have a lot in common with German BBs, at least up to Tier IX.

The only downside with that though, is they are covered in 32mm armor and go down very quick to concentrated HE spam.  I'm not saying they're bad brawlers, but they don't have the lasting power to spend the whole game on the front line either.  I've had one or two battles where I got stuck in bow on too far forward, and I did not last anywhere near as long as if I had been in a Yammy or Missouri.  

I'm still struggling to pin point how exactly they should be played.  They're sort of feel like hybrids between German and USN BBs.  I'm really enjoying them, in large part because they don't feel as braindead easy to play as other BBs.  If you get caught showing broadside in the République, you will get citadeled, and it's a refreshing change of pace.  *And yes, I just admitted to being a masochist :cap_haloween: