You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Chimera2

Gascogne worth it?

21 comments in this topic

[RED2]
Members
113 posts
6,623 battles

So does anyone think the Gascogne is worth it? I mean its a Richelieu that removes what makes the Richelieu unique. Its got eight fast firing guns and monster secondaries, but so does the Bismark and that ship also features better armor and higher pen. It's expensive Ultra premium Camo doesn't even grant any extra benefits like Kii or Roma. So what's the selling point suppose to be?

• Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,223 posts
12,756 battles

Read the review. It will tell you more than any reply here can.

• Bad 5

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,398 posts
7,363 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Read the review. It will tell you more than any reply here can.

Getting other peoples opinions here instead of one + your little section can also tell him quite a lot.

Edited by Kousatsu
  • Cool 2

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

I do not know if it was me or the ship, but this morning the guns were NOT working out for me. Everything was either crazy dispersion or a bounce. 

Now that Ive been playing it, it rocks. I even broke my damage record in it today! (170k). 100k games (which is good by my standards), are far from uncommon, and I often find myself nailing 20k salvos. Either my bad luck went away or I learned how to truly use the ship. The speed is fun and the speed boost consumable is a fun gimmick. Another thing that often goes un-stated is the repair party. The reload is something like 30 seconds, so you can fire off repair parties fast and effectively. Secondaries are no Germans, but they are very good. Iirc France is supposedly the second best secondary nation. The gunnery feels kinda like Roma, where its on then its off, but like I said, it could have been just me...

However, the main reason I got this bundle is all the things I can do now. I dont have any cruisers, so to do the new operation I would have had to grind up to Lyon. Now I can do the operation, and did. Also, the new French campaign is the main reason I bought Gassy in the first place. Ill be getting premium camo for Dunkerque (which I have always wanted), and camo for Gascogne and Richu. A bunch of containers (even though I have already finished the collection), and some symbols. 

So yes, you spend 75 bucks, but you get like 150 bucks of stuff from bundle bonuses, missions, scenario, etc. I got my Lyon from a container won by doing a Gascogne mission. However, its not OP, so if your not a spender, I might be tempted to pass. So far I am totally happy with the price for what Im getting from it

• Boring 1

Members
544 posts
2,951 battles

Selling point? Its French. About it. Seems very bland to me and has garbage firing angles. Its nice to see a non-OP ship every once in awhile but WG really relies on the whales to set the prices they do. I got Roma cause its unique but this, like Kii, will be waiting until a holiday sale once its added into the tree for gold.

Members
2,392 posts
7,710 battles

IMO? No. If you want a T8 BB, Tirpitz, Alabama and Roma are better choices. If you want a french BB, Dunkerque is better (tier for tier) and cheaper.

As Mouse pointed on her review, its a mehship. Not great but not terrible either. 

IMO there are better ships to buy.

[NAM-1]
Members
5 posts
2,529 battles

I have thoroughly enjoyed it until this last match I just played. Within 3km of a Des Moines, fired 3 full volleys into her broadside with only 1 citadel. My secondaries did more damage.  Currently reviewing the replay to see if something is broken on her- I've already checked to see how many shell hits, and out of 8 rounds hitting for my 2nd volley, I only dropped 2700 HP off the DM.

Still, I've citi'd T9 and 10 bb's in her, deleted cruisers too.  So she's still fun, fast, and if you learn to work her like a big cruiser that can almost duke it out with other bb's, yet cant afford to get focused (HE damage really wrecks the French bb line it seems) you should be alright.

Edited by AirborneFIST

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,860 battles

Littlewhitemouse said it best about her right here. 

She not a brawler with a broadsword.  Think of her as a foil (type sword) piercing the heart of the enemy in fencing.  Build her to be a survivalist not a brawler.   

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

If Graf Spee and Gneisenau spent an evening in Bordeaux their love child would be Gascogne

^at least that's my short answer. 

Gascogne, having only 2x turrets makes her an odd ship when it comes to Main Battery Firepower. Her DP 100mm makes not having IFHE means there's little Alpha coming from them without spending 4cmdr points. Her Turret layout makes her "weaker" than Richelieu in a Traditional BB role (Bow-In). 

But she's French, and has wonderful Speed and the Speed Boost consumable. Her layout is mirrored by La République, so if you're heading that was Gascogne could be considered "a nerfed République" similar to the relationship between Musashi and Yamato.

If you're some who favours/enjoys a BC style of play, Gascogne being fast and French combined with her "sub-optimal" turret layout might make her more palpable than Richelieu in the tech tree. But if you're a traditionalist BB player you might want to skip her. 

Members
1,542 posts
8,187 battles

Hey

So do to the layout and 4 guns at each end, German like dispersion (yeah), would it compare as a T8 French version (BB of course) of the Graf Spee.  I love the Graf Spee and it kind of reminds me of that type of ship due to the layout; but are the guns so wonky that it doesn't work?  I was up against one today with my Alabama very close (near ramming close) and it seemed to tank damage up close very well.   I have watched the video's on it and some of the negatives is visible.  I am just so hesitant on spending the money to get it even though it's kind of different. 

Pete

Members
34 posts
3,984 battles

On the merits of the ship itself, my opinion is that she is not worth the money. It would be an ‘ok’ ship if they were to fix the dispersion. Until then, I’d pass

Members
1,542 posts
8,187 battles

Hey

With the comments here, comments in game, and the results of the various CC's and their video's; I think I will pass on this one.  Another sale loss for Wargaming, oh well.

Pete

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,855 posts
10,641 battles
On 3/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, Chimera2 said:

So does anyone think the Gascogne is worth it? I mean its a Richelieu that removes what makes the Richelieu unique. Its got eight fast firing guns and monster secondaries, but so does the Bismark and that ship also features better armor and higher pen. It's expensive Ultra premium Camo doesn't even grant any extra benefits like Kii or Roma. So what's the selling point suppose to be?

I got it and find it quite enjoyable. Don't agree with LWM's review but that is not unusual as I generally don't agree with her assessment of ships (not any attack on her - just saying everyone is different).

It is pretty fast, has excellent secondary guns, decent AA, and the main guns hit hard when they hit. Dispersion can be a pain but it is accurate enough. I also find it to be a tough ship.

I like it but I like most of the French BB's.

If you like German BB play you should like the French BB's as I find them very similar.

Only you can decide if the money is worth it. I am glad I don't base my decisions on what others think or reviews from the "experts" or I would have missed out on a good and fun ship in Gascogne.

Members
58 posts
6,742 battles
18 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

So do to the layout and 4 guns at each end, German like dispersion (yeah), would it compare as a T8 French version (BB of course) of the Graf Spee.  I love the Graf Spee and it kind of reminds me of that type of ship due to the layout; but are the guns so wonky that it doesn't work?  I was up against one today with my Alabama very close (near ramming close) and it seemed to tank damage up close very well.   I have watched the video's on it and some of the negatives is visible.  I am just so hesitant on spending the money to get it even though it's kind of different. 

Pete

It is very much like the Graf Spee. The biggest difference is no torpedoes.  But it's a base of 32 knot ship that can combine with the speed flag and engine boost option.  The secondaries are better than the tech tree ship.  This is due to the 6x2 secondary turrets per side with 3 of them facing front and the other 3 facing the rear.  And the 3 turrets are 2 higher then the other, allowing all 3 turrets to fire at the same time.  The tech tree only has 2 facing front and 1 facing the rear plus the slow loading 3x3 larger turrets.  Whereas Gascogne has only 2x3 facing the rear on the larger and slower secondary turrets.  So in terms of secondaries, Gascogne is better without any doubt.  

Overall, I think the tech tree is better for ranged combat with the concentrated main gun positioning.  Whereas the  Gascogne is better for melee, I.e. Close range brawling.  

It's not meant for anyone, least of all for the usual hide in the back snipers.  I did exceptionally well in the scenario Hermes but not where as good with the tech tree.  And I did it consistently.  

I got it because I am a ship collector.  And I got the 10 point captain package.  This allowed me to man it with the secondary build.  

So to answer the question if it is worth it to spend money on it, that really depended on the play style.  For brawling , I think it is worth it.  For range combat, not as much.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,446 posts
3,376 battles

I like Gascogne. She's very fun to play for me.

At first, I thought she'd fall a little behind Richelieu because she can't put all 8 guns toward 1 direction so easily, but in reality her turret setup has its own charm. Once you're not going bow-in, then I say she is more flexible than Richelieu. I really love zipping around everywhere with her speed, and popping her baguette shells into enemy ships while turning and twirling all over the place, lol. The secondary is super fun too, especially when you get both the upgrade module and the captain skill that extend the range.

I can't speak for how competitive or effective she may be, since I mostly play Coop and Operations, but I can say for sure that she is indeed a fun bote. Sometimes, when a bot ship has her turrets not facing toward me, I do a drive by while dumping a full salvo of baguettes and peppery secondary shells, lol. And when the bot angrily tries to turn toward me, I run away, wheeeee~.

I say she's kinda like a German ship, that traded a portion of the armor and a bit of secondary power for more speed. Very, very fun indeed. :3

Supertester
418 posts
6,115 battles

If I had to make a list of which premiums I want to buy the most, Gascogne would be very close to the bottom of said list. It has some advantages over the Richelieu (basically a 2 second faster reload, a plane and a faster heal cooldown) but ultimately it's just not nearly as interesting or useful as the Richelieu. If you want a real brawler with good armor, good guns and good secondaries, Tirpitz is a far better option. If you're looking for a french trainer, Dunkerque is a somewhat better option and much cheaper. And if you just want a good french BB worth keeping, that's litterally the every ship in line from tier 6 to 10.

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,860 battles

If she had 26 sec reload on mains and turrets traverse cruiser speed I'd be happy.  Yeah I have Jean-Jacques Honore, but it's not cutting it.

[SIM]
Members
1,347 posts

Personally i passed on this ship as i felt she was not worth the cost. Great review by mouse. Also got feedback from others who purchased the ship as well. It will be your call to spend or not. 

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,860 battles

She's a performer using Jean-Jacques Honore (19) in Hermes mission. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,022 posts

I love her, but I'm weird like that.