You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

question about the Dunkerque

23 comments in this topic

Members
240 posts
4,670 battles

I want to start down the french BB line so I"m looking at the Dunkerque loaded because not only do you get a port slot you also get 3,000 gold and a six point captain. Even if this is just an average ship is it worth getting at it's current price? My friend got it and seems to really enjoy it!

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I like the Dunkinhole It has a different play style but has many benefits because f it. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,487 posts
2,344 battles

People tend to say its a fun ship. I like it and could be a good captain trainer for your French BB line, and french captains in general. Will also get you experience for whenever you reach the Richelieu.

Spoiler

pd2cXRp.png

Overall, get the Dunkerque if you're also looking for something different in a BB. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

Members
631 posts

I got it in a Santa Crate 14 months ago I think!  Not Sure. It is very easy to play do to many things that it should not do. Myself and others posted our opinions under the Battleship sub forum on various Dunkirk threads. I am only using it to get a 19 point French Captain. I do not see any other uses for it.  Maybe as a trainer for similar main guns only on front ships? 

[THROW]
Members
200 posts
3,951 battles

it was great fun when I got a year ago but t6 usually gets bad mm so I would not recommend it unless you’re comfortable with getting bottom tiered consistently. That said, bowtanking does not work against ships with 380mm guns or bigger in the dunk, but it works well otherwise

[INTEL]
Members
8,603 posts
25,771 battles

Dunk is a love/hate ship. If like the bow on playstyle, you will like her. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

If you can afford it, go with gascone.

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Have had the Dunk for about a year - one of my weakest tier 6 BBs.  If you are getting as a captain trainer for French BB, ok purchase.  Really struggles when up tiered, guns can be wonky, especially ap, so spend a lot of the time he spamming.  

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

If you cant get the Nelson, and dont wanna grind for Izumo or Richilieu, then Dunkerque is the way to go. I love how all the guns face forward on Dunk. I play it almost always forward/backward, instead of left/right. You dont need to deal with broadsides or anything.

As everyone else has said, it is super interesting to play, and totally worth it. What bundle you pick depends on what you need and the size of your wallet

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,267 posts
10,005 battles

Here, watch Yuro's guide and see if you like it before buying! Personally I like mine, its fun!:cap_like:

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,267 posts
10,005 battles

Also, you may want to consider checking out Little white mouse's guide on it too.:fish_book: shes like the queen, when it comes to making reviews!

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
501 posts
3,673 battles

Dunk is better choice than Gascogne if you are just starting a line and don't have a trained captain.  You will miss those skill points fighting Tier 9s and 10s.  Dunk is fast, maneuverable and is great at deleting cruisers.  Her AP is fine versus Tier VII and VIII BB, or do like a lot of folks and spam HE.  Lots of opinions in the thread, YMMV.

[WOLF5]
Members
465 posts
19,089 battles

IF you're looking to use it as a French trainer, the consensus is that it's a better BB trainer than the Gascogne simply because at T-6 you can get away with not needing a 10+ captain. T-8 MM should be a consideration as well - potentially you can do better with the Gascogne, but facing T-10 with 380mm guns can be challenging. Dunk's got all the guns up front, wonky dispersion, poor armor and catches fire easily but it's quick and fairly nimble for a BB. It does require a different play style to make it effective. 

if you're just looking for a French trainer and can play cruisers, the De Grasse is a good option since  you can potentially train not only BB, but DD and C captains as well. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles

She's a good ship but she is easy to screw up in. I personally love mine, the guns are the fastest velocity and second best penatration for her tier. That said I found myself having to aim lower than I do on other BBs because the high velocity shells tend to over shoot for me and appears to be a common comparing. She is the fastest for her tier which means it is easy to get into trouble also

Here is a review I wrote a couple weeks ago for her where I go into more detail but that said she is a good captain trainer

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

I used to love my Dunkerque... now I hate it. The bow-tanking meta just isn't my cup of tea. IMO, in terms of flexibility, tankiness, secondaries, and gun performance, the Mutsu/Warspite are far, FAR better tier 6 premium battleship options. 

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
7 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

the consensus is that it's a better BB trainer than the Gascogne

Consensus? Where? I disagree with this statement in its entirety. The Dunkerque is fragile and has very unpredictable guns. She also only vaguely resembles one other ship in the French tech tree.

Gascogne looks and feels like the majority of the tree - Dunkerque does not.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo

[WOLF5]
Members
465 posts
19,089 battles
2 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Consensus? Where? I disagree with this statement in its entirety. 

Remember, the OP intends to use this as trainer for a low point captain. Why is the Dunk better than the Gas for a low point capt

1. T-10 MM and high level UK BB HE spam - with a sub 10 point captain you really can't do a survival build. With a sub 14 point capt, you really can't do a stealth/survival build
  2. 380 mm guns at T-8 vs 330 at T-6. Pick AR or EM. T-6 MM is more forgiving. 
  3. While torp protection for both isn't great, you're going to see much more damaging torps at T-8 than T-6. At t-8+, you're not going to see a DD unless he wants to be spotted. At T-6 you at least have a chance to see some of them before they torp. 
  4. $66 vs $36. Dunk is better bank for the buck. 

Now if you're an experienced BB player, are used to T-8MM, can play with the worst DPM BB guns in it's tier, have a high point captain that you want to earn more points for, then yes, the Gascogne will make more XP than the Dunk for similar performance. 

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,522 battles

For whatever reason, pound for pound, tier for tier, the Dunkerque is one of my best BBs.  It's play style takes getting used to but it performs very well.  The Dunkerque loaded is a pretty good value in my opinion as well. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,677 posts
5,620 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I want to start down the french BB line so I"m looking at the Dunkerque loaded because not only do you get a port slot you also get 3,000 gold and a six point captain. Even if this is just an average ship is it worth getting at it's current price? My friend got it and seems to really enjoy it!

The ship is a lot of fun and the price is relatively cheap. People keep saying it's a bow tanker. It really isn't. Richelieu can do that. Dunkerque doesn't have the armor or the guns for that. I see people doing that all the time and they just get sunk. It's a fast flanker. It plays best when you use your speed to get to a  position on the enemy flank where it can harass enemy BBs and cruisers and support allied cruisers and DDs on the move. Play it like Kongo (it is about as durable) but with better weapon arcs for fast attacking. The gun layout helps you keep angled against enemy BBs while on the move. Dunkerque can't tank a lot of damage. It needs to be on the flank and moving. Play it like a well-armored CA not a BB. 

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,522 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

The ship is a lot of fun and the price is relatively cheap. People keep saying it's a bow tanker. It really isn't. Richelieu can do that. Dunkerque doesn't have the armor or the guns for that. I see people doing that all the time and they just get sunk. It's a fast flanker. It plays best when you use your speed to get to a  position on the enemy flank where it can harass enemy BBs and cruisers and support allied cruisers and DDs on the move. Play it like Kongo (it is about as durable) but with better weapon arcs for fast attacking. The gun layout helps you keep angled against enemy BBs while on the move. Dunkerque can't tank a lot of damage. It needs to be on the flank and moving. Play it like a well-armored CA not a BB. 

It bow tanks just fine.  Personally I play it like a combo of both depending on the situation.  If I need to hold a flank or blunt an attack, bow tank.  If the battle is more fluid, the use its speed and agility.  Often I will start out bow tanking but when/if the team has a smooth and aggressive flank going on, I will freely move with that flank.  Personally I think it is because it has all these options, that the Dunkerque is an excellent BB.  Where I think people fail with the Dunkerque is that they cling to one play style or the other stubbornly or worse attempt to play her like a traditional BB, 

[1IF]
Members
81 posts
2,745 battles

Dunk is one of my most played ships that I still can't get my win rate over 50% in, but I find it a fun ship.  Watch the How to video posted above and there is a useful thread with video by @Sventexon how to play Dunk in a T8 match which happens a lot (Deconstructing Dunkerque guide).  If the opposing team BBs are armed with guns no larger than 356mm, then you can bow tank them like crazy and if you angle right, you'll laugh at the number of AP rounds you bounce.  She is good at flanking and supporting a push as long as your teammates don't bail on you.  Her secondaries get a bad rap due to their positioning, but you can have fun with DDs that get too close or while you run away from them.  Her speed can and will get you into trouble, but she is decent at dodging air dropped torps.  Never give up your broadside or she folds fast.  You have to keep a watchful eye on the minimap and see which way the enemy BBs guns are pointing before you try any large maneuvers.  Also, while you may enjoy some limited success at brawling a Fuso or NY and deva-striking them, she is not a brawler.  Dunk is a battlecruiser in all regards.  Also, she has terrible concealment, so drive her like a big Russian cruiser with BB guns.  Or any other cruiser with poor concealment.

Members
3,827 posts
14,189 battles

I used Dunk as my main ship in last July's Ranked and did damn good with her. I find Dunk to be a fine ship though her shell dispersal is really wonky. Sometimes you get a nice tight pattern and other times the shells spray all over creation. And... She has NO park benches! :cap_fainting:

Once you get the hang of her unique playstyle due to the turret setup, I think that you'll have a lotta fun and do well.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
11 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Its a great ship as long as you know how to position youself properly in a battle AND know by heart which ships can overmatch your bow.

The better you are at reading the field, the better results you'll have with it. You need to know when to advance, when to pull back and how to turn around without being citadeled 5x in the process. Dunk is a battlecruiser, and you will be facing battleships, they will have more armor and bigger guns than you so you need to be smarter.

Edited by Ulthwey