Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AXELGREASE

Bottom tiered

7 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
680 posts
5,152 battles

I play cruisers mostly.  I am terrible in BBs and only so/so in DDs. 

So I end up bottom tier  a lot (75% to 95% based on ship) and even if I finish in the top 3 I feel like I struggle all game and contribute nothing to the win/loss.  The game has become all about whether or not your BBs do a good or bad job.  Cruisers and particularly bottom tiered cruisers have little to no impact on the outcome of a match.  Yes this is a generalization, and there are exceptions to the generalization.  Mostly it holds true, i.e. T6 cruisers never decide a T8 match, you just can't do enough damage to enough ships.  Yes you can have a 100K damage game, but more likely a T8 BB deletes you as soon as they get a shot. Amd angle does not matter a BB 2 tiers above you can penn you from any angle for a citadel.

How on earth does WG consider this balanced?  I see a lot of matches where one side has 2 bottom tier cruisers, and the other side has none.  One team always starts the match at a huge fire power and hit point disadvantage; considering it usually means that side with more bottom tier cruisers is short one BB.

It is very frustrating to be a cruiser player these days. 

Edited by AXELGREASE

[THROW]
Members
200 posts
3,951 battles

A t8 BB is more likely to overpenetrate abt6 cruiser before he gets a citadel xD. But seriously t5 and t6 are just bad tiers, you might not be carrying by raw damage alone but you have more than influence to manipulate both your and the opposing teams actions. The player base is sketchy enough that a good player can abuse higher tiered ships if the opponent is long quite as good

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,852 posts
13,070 battles

My only advice at the moment is that a bottom tier CA must play differently than when top tiered.  A player simply cannot have the same play style for all tiers.  This goes for all the classes.  There is often an optimal style depending on how the MM plays out and the particular ships on each side.  Part of the game is figuring out the best style to play given the MM one is given.  

When top tier, you can often force the game to adapt to you.  When bottom tier, you almost always have to adapt yourself to the game.   

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I find that cruisers play is poorly balanced outside of tier 10.  There are some exceptions, like Belfast and Kutuzov, and certain radar cruisers that can bring a change to a ranked game with timely use of radar.  Also certain cruisers can carry teams if the player is really good, using some gem of a glass cannon like Molotov.  Also, come cruisers can be made to shine in specific division compositions (Atlanta + Kaga = PAIN).  But outside of T10 it’s generally going to be an uphill battle in most cruisers.  Tier 10 is a different story, all T10 cruisers have the necessary tools to affect the outcome of the game, when used right.  Well maybe with that one exception of Minotaur that stops in smoke inside radar range and only has the time to press shift F12 before evaporating.

Edited by Ramsalot
  • Cool 2

[5D5]
Members
2,292 posts
14,409 battles

Learn to kite and watch how well bottom tier cruisers can create lots of damage.

Members
519 posts
3,406 battles
1 hour ago, AXELGREASE said:

I play cruisers mostly.  I am terrible in BBs and only so/so in DDs. 

So I end up bottom tier  a lot (75% to 95% based on ship) and even if I finish in the top 3 I feel like I struggle all game and contribute nothing to the win/loss.  The game has become all about whether or not your BBs do a good or bad job.  Cruisers and particularly bottom tiered cruisers have little to no impact on the outcome of a match.  Yes this is a generalization, and there are exceptions to the generalization.  Mostly it holds true, i.e. T6 cruisers never decide a T8 match, you just can't do enough damage to enough ships.  Yes you can have a 100K damage game, but more likely a T8 BB deletes you as soon as they get a shot. Amd angle does not matter a BB 2 tiers above you can penn you from any angle for a citadel.

How on earth does WG consider this balanced?  I see a lot of matches where one side has 2 bottom tier cruisers, and the other side has none.  One team always starts the match at a huge fire power and hit point disadvantage; considering it usually means that side with more bottom tier cruisers is short one BB.

It is very frustrating to be a cruiser player these days. 

If this is an attempt at a hidden +/- 1 it's not going to happen..

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,947 posts
12,499 battles

Of course one can perform well when uptiered. I myself often perform best when uptiered. The point is that it is not fun especially when happening so frequently. Unfortunately it is not limited to tier 6 since no matter what tier one plays up to 10 the same thing will happen. It would be nice to reduce the occurence of being the only low tier ca in a match with a two tier spread however. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this