Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xovian

Question about Randoms

10 comments in this topic

Members
191 posts

Just a question out of curiosity that i couldn't find the answer to by searching.

Q: Why does the Random battle type put so many more ships into a match than every other type of play?

I can't find an answer to this, and to me it doesn't make sense given the various complaints commonly seen in  various threads (like MM, various balance issues ect).
Just curious why 7 ships isn't standard in Random as it is in other types of play. Would this not resolve the MM issues we constantly see complained about? Are the maps just too big to accommodate lower ship counts?
Would it create a whole different set of issues, I'm not seeing? Was it previously like that and changed to the current model of 12 ships?
Inquiring minds want to know. If it something that just makes sense, would love to know what it is.

Much appreciated, if anyone happens to know.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

It might "resolve" issues for the players but it would increase demand for server resources. You are talking about almost doubling the number of active matches at any given time. 

Aside from that possibility, having more people makes it more uhm... fun. 

• Cool 1

Members
191 posts

Not sure saying resources is as big of a deal compared to what it use to be. Virtualization makes more servers a non issue. Adding compute to it may add additional cost, but I'd be surprised if WG would be able to say they are not making enough profit to make such changes. 10 years ago, sure there were  issues having multiple server farms hosting a given amount of connections, it's just not the case anymore. Standard tech and disk space/resources are so cheap now compared to just a decade ago. About the only thing that has maintained a "high price" is when using SSD SAS (can range around 5k$ each)  drives, which would likely not be used for application data, but I could be wrong here.

As to the fun, it's always subjective. Only difference i see between the amounts, is the amount of impact a given ship can have. Higher amounts, a given ship will have less over all impact. Less ships, a higher impact for any given ship.
Was just curious why it's the only mode of play thats so vastly different (least that i know of).

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Smaller battle counts only starve the economy. Go BIG or Go Home.

Members
191 posts
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Smaller battle counts only starve the economy. Go BIG or Go Home.

Not sure I follow. Is there some ratio of damage done to amount of expense that would change for lower numbers?

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
Just now, xovian said:

Not sure I follow. Is there some ratio of damage done to amount of expense that would change for lower numbers?

7 ships total have X amount of exp to be split up. 12 ships have 7 + 5 exp to be divied up. The larger the pool the higher the numbers can get. 

How many krakens have you gotten in a 7v7 compared to 12 v 12.

Members
191 posts
21 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

How many krakens have you gotten in a 7v7 compared to 12 v 12.

None for either, probably wont for my preferred ship type (DD). Be nice, but that would take an astounding number of torp hits to get...or lots of flooding at least.
Makes sense at least, thanks.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

With only 7 ships per side coordinated 3 player division would have drastically higher impact on the outcome.  Just food for thought.

• Cool 1

Members
191 posts
11 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

With only 7 ships per side coordinated 3 player division would have drastically higher impact on the outcome.  Just food for thought.

Wouldn't that be desired?
I typically only division with a couple friends here and there and they don't play as often as i do.

The flip side of that being lowering the amount of time it takes for a game to complete. Personally don't see a negative with that, though I am sure others do for various reasons.
The aforementioned Kraken being one reason.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, xovian said:

Wouldn't that be desired?
I typically only division with a couple friends here and there and they don't play as often as i do.

The flip side of that being lowering the amount of time it takes for a game to complete. Personally don't see a negative with that, though I am sure others do for various reasons.
The aforementioned Kraken being one reason.

There is reason divisions are not permitted in ranked battles with reduced player count.  It sort of ruins fun for predominately solo players.  With larger teams they have a shot to both dilute divisions somewhat and have more of them on their side.  With 7 player format one division on enemy side and none on your side will likely mean you lost.

Sign in to follow this