Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

10 comments in this topic

[TF-60]
Members
73 posts
7,353 battles

I just unlocked the Gearing.  Loved playing the Fletcher.  Is there any good reason to get the Gearing?  What are the advantages besides more rapid rate of fire?  Should I buy it at the end of the month when the sale occurs?

Thanks

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

Torpedoes that outrange any radar have some decent utility.  It's got a sizeable gunpower upgrade over the Fletcher, especially from the front.  That's about it, though.  It's not a bad ship, but it's definitely not a large upgrade over the Fletcher.

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,785 battles

Not a bad ship as said, but not better than Fletcher. I play Fletcher way more.

Gearing works well with Torpedo Acceleration (one of the very few ships that can take it).

Excellent guns and a nightmare for Shimakaze. That said, I prefer my YY, Z-52 and Kahb. I prefer Gearing to Grozovoi (yes I am a DD main and have them all).

[SYN]
Members
4,548 posts
11,437 battles

Gearing is one of my faves.  I love the Fletcher and Gearing equally, and have had a lot of monster games in both of them.  Unless it's a straightforward one-on-one gunfight, I'll always prefer the Gearing (and the Fletcher) over the Khab.

Used Torpedo Acceleration for a while but elected to go with Survival Expert, Torp Expertise, Superintendent, and Vigilance for the four Level 3 skills.  I can live with the Gearing's default torpedo speed which is already pretty good at 66 kts.  Gotten a few unexpected slam dunks at close to the 16km max range, and it's nice to be able to send these torpedoes downrange every 104 seconds.

Edited by Kuckoo

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
2 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

It gets 16.5 km torpedoes, which is the major upgrade. 

Except it isn't. You trade unnecessary longer range for damage and reload. The Gearing isn't bad, but I did feel let down after the Fletcher.

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
14,793 battles

I still prefer the Fletcher over the Gearing because it reloads it's very good torps every 81 seconds while the Gearing's take 25% or so more time to reload and the Fletcher is more "agile" and can avoid incoming fire better than the Gearing.  I did buy the Gearing to get it ready for clan battles and after playing it in random battles I have grown to like it.  And since radar ships are quite prevalent at high tiers, it's 13.5 km ranged torps (with torpedo acceleration) are very useful.  So both are fun....for it's tier I think the Fletcher is a little better....but you will find others who say just the opposite.  

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles

The 16.5km torps have so much range you can effectively fire them almost randomly in the direction of enemies and almost always hit a torp per salvo

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,992 battles

Fletcher and Gearing could trade places in the tech tree and neither would suffer or be better off.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Gearing is Ok at best but...it feels lacking.

Nightmare guns inside of 8km but with slow speed and dumpy handling...watch out for torps.

Torpedoes are ok, but slow to reload so use them wisely.

AA is good.  Remember slow speed and dumpy handling.  Use you Def AA wisely as well.

Its fat.  You will take massive damage from AP salvos.  I've been hit 100%-0% by a Missouri with no detonation just all AP damage at 12km.

You do not have the maneuverability to push caps when there are radar cruisers.  DO NOT be first in line when radar lights you up.  See above comment.

Speed:  Fletcher > Gearing 

Maneuverability:  Fletcher > Gearing

Size:  Fletcher > Gearing

Torps: Fletcher > Gearing (based on reload time)

AA:  Fletcher < Gearing

Guns:  Fletcher < Gearing

Detection:  Fletcher > Gearing

Overall Survivability:  Fletcher > Gearing

Overall Damage potential:  Fletcher = Gearing

Overall Fun Factor:  Fletcher > Gearing 

I do well in the Gearing, but have more subjective "fun" in the Fletcher.

Sign in to follow this