You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

IJN BB line question

14 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,631 battles

I really want to start playing the IJN BB line. My question is were is the best tier to start playing as? I've heard that tier V-VIII on the IJN side is a lot of fun. I'm currently on the USN line with the Iowa and Tier VII with the Gneisenau. I should mention that I have access to a lot of free xp. TIA.

Edited by crazyferret23777

Members
1,152 posts
3,145 battles

It's a really excellent line, I'm at the Amagi and I've enjoyed *almost* every ship in the line. The tier III is a pile of garbage, no other way about it. It's a fast grind, however, so it's not that big of a deal. The Myogi is interesting because it gets 14 inch guns at tier IV, something that no other ship has at that tier (to my knowledge). However, it only has 6 of them, so RNG is a huge factor. Some people really hate the Myogi, and for good reason. It might be the last "bad" ship you play in the line. Kongo, Fuso, Nagato, and Amagi are all incredibly good ships, and a blast to play. The Izumo is an oddball, but still a competent ship. So my advice would to skip the tier 3 (or use a lot of flags and camo, that thing's a real pain) and then see if you like the line. If you get to the Fuso and don't like it, i'd stop there. 

• Cool 1

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
225 posts
8,206 battles

I would say Kongo at tier 5. Tier 3 and 4 IJN BBs are awful, as I remembered it. From 5 and up they're all pretty good, though some stock grinds can be rough. I am at Izumo now, and even though it's supposedly the worst T9 BB, I find it very good actually. The guns are great, but the downsides are sluggish turning and the fact that you are spotted from 3/4 way across the map.

Enjoy your new BBs! 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles

The IJN line starts getting fun at T5. The only low point in the line from that point forwards is Izumo at T9.

Kongou at T5 is pretty fun and flexible, just be aware she's a battlecruiser, and should be played like one. Same applies to Amagi at T8. Both can be powerful in their respective tiers with a bit of careful play and knowing when to get aggressive and when to fall back.

Fuso is the much-beloved shotgun BB at T6. She's aged pretty well, all things considered, despite seeing 15" guns in her tier bracket.

Nagato at T7 is one of the more accurate battleships in the entire game, and can teach pretty good aiming skills given that the shots are pretty close along the horizontal axis. She does retain the high vertical dispersion common to IJN BBs though, so over/under misses can be frustrating.

And there's the Yamato at T10. Not much else needs to be said really.

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,318 battles
9 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

The tier III is a pile of garbage, no other way about it. It's a fast grind, however, so it's not that big of a deal. The Myogi is interesting because it gets 14 inch guns at tier IV, something that no other ship has at that tier (to my knowledge). However, it only has 6 of them, so RNG is a huge factor. Some people really hate the Myogi, and for good reason.

Bite your tongue.

Anyone already up to Iowa should know enough about angling and gunplay to have no trouble making Kawachi and Myogi work.

Smart maneuvering makes Kawachi capable of firing  all 12 guns, and Myogi works best like Konigsburg/Nurnburg, showing its tushy and kiting away from the  Reds.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

If you're going to tier hop, begin with Kongo. Myogi is derpy. Some people have a degree of success with her, but in my experience, the stupid performance of her main battery is not reflective of the rather excellent ordinance showcased by other vessels in the line. 

Kongo is the first Japanese battleship that feels precisely like a miniature of what you will be dealing with later.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

Members
2,408 posts
7,726 battles

Best tier to start? T5 Kongo. Kongo, Fuso, Nagato, Amagi and Yamato are all very good ships, some of the best at their tier. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles
45 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I really want to start playing the IJN BB line. My question is were is the best tier to start playing as? I've heard that tier V-VIII on the IJN side is a lot of fun. I'm currently on the USN line with the Iowa and Tier VII with the Gneisenau. I should mention that I have access to a lot of free xp. TIA.

Tier V Kongo is where the characteristics of IJN BBs start showing up:

Speed

Bad concealment

Bad AA

Good ranged gunnery

So-so protection scheme

IJN BBs epitomize ranged prowess and using their speed for positioning.  Most of them are not brawlers, do so against a USN, German BB, you are flirting with disaster.  Amagi is the one that best gets away with it, but the others, including Yamato, are not so good in a brawl.  You're good at range, so leverage the guns.

Back when it was just USN & IJN BBs, IJN BBs ran USN ones out of town because their players leveraged speed to dictate the fight, position, and get more hits at range where many USN BBs struggled.  You can troll USN BBs still very well at range, until Tier IX when their gunnery accuracy catches up.  But don't flash a lot of sides as IJN BBs have citadels to protect.

Anyways, learn to play, survive in Kongo.  That will serve you well later on.  Her armor is suspect so using speed, angling, range is paramount.  She sails incredibly fast, but be careful to avoid using that speed to get you into trouble that you can't get out of.

IJN BB Secondary Batteries from Tier VII on used to be considered great, far superior to USN, but the arrival of German BBs changed all that.  Secondary Spec Yamato was a common sight at one time, not anymore.

IJN BBs have bad to mediocre AA.  The only one great in this department is Premium Tier VIII Kii, and she has her own set of compromises compared to Amagi.

Fuso is incredibly fun but she can be squishy.  She's one of my favorite BBs in the game and I kept her after going up into the line.

Nagato?  She's a bit divisive, some adore her, some hate her.

Amagi is one of the best all around BBs in the game.  Matter of fact, the whole idea of "Battlecruiser Gameplay" started in this game due to Amagi, not Scharnhorst / Gneisenau.  Since the game launched, Amagi has always done well.  She has never been considered a mediocre ship by the community.

Izumo, a low spot in the line but prepares you for Yamato.  Amagi sails, plays nothing like Izumo, Yamato.

Yamato is great, powerful in Tier X but she plays VERY DIFFERENTLY.  So differently that it's a shock to some IJN BB players.  But your experience in Izumo prepares you for that.  Me?  I skipped Izumo and Yamato was a very bad experience for me.  I was getting rekt, HARD, and I'm STILL trying to dig my WR% out from the gutter.  However, once you know how to use Yamato and deal with her poor sailing and awful turret traverse, protect her armor weakpoints, then you have a dominating Battleship.  Nobody wants to get shot at by 460 AP, so learning to survive and milk longevity so that you can keep firing those mighty guns is more important than anything else.

Give the line a whirl.  Compared to your USN BB experience, you have to be more paranoid about protecting your citadel with IJN BBs, but you will love their speed and gun capability at range.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,741 posts
3,261 battles

In my personal experience, since I've ground the whole line, bare in mind, my opinions also come from the Closed Beta Test, but my experience was this:

Myogi is actually workable in Tier IV once you research her C hull. At this point, she has highest range, the fastest speed, and the quickest rudder. Her turrets are also extremely fast. Faster than Kongou's. Lesson's learned in Myogi will serve you well in Amagi, as both play very much the same in their respective tiers. Amagi just has two more turrets, with three on the rear.

Then there's Kongou. She's aged extremely well despite the likes of New York, Bretagne and Konig having made their debuts (New York's range buff.). She holds the fastest speed and the longest range in Tier V among the BBs, and with proper angling, can take a hell of a punch.

Fusou is the poster child of Shotgun BBs. I hated her for this exact reason. She's ugly, slow, soft and cannot hit the broadside of a barn, from inside the goddamn barn. Shots that would've been citadels for me in Kongou were complete misses with shells raining all around the target and maybe one or two hitting for an overpen/shatter/module with very little damage. I hated her back in the Closed Beta Test, my experience in her was horrible and when the Open Beta Hit, I skipped Fusou to get to Nagato. She's also slow.

Nagato is the original rail-gun sniper in Tier 7. Her shells at one point had the fastest muzzle velocity in Tier 7, and she still has the largest calibre guns at 410mm instead of 406, 381, 380, 356 and 280mm. She can be considered one of the most accurate ships in the game, and has the second highest hit point pool. Nagato is also slow, but makes up for it with extremely good ballistic performance and maneuverability. She's also what you can expect later down the line from Yamato. Very hard hitting and very accurate guns.

Amagi is once again where we see speed in the IJN tech tree. With a length of 250m and a top speed of 30kts, she is easily one of the longest Battleships in the game and puts herself in the fast category. Here, lessons learned in Myogi, Kongou and Nagato about armor angling come into play, while Myogi's lessons in Kiting help a lot too since around 60% of your firepower is on your stern. But becareful, stern citadel pens are a thing, and it's wise to wiggle her tush infront of the enemy when you're kiting. Her armor can also out-tank some of her Tier 8 counterparts because of it's design, allowing a good angle to make her impossible to penetrate with AP unless you're a Yamato.

Izumo is once again, everyone's punching bag for the most hated ship in the game. While Kawachi and Myogi have there issues (Accuracy being the main problem on both) Izumo has a concealment, turret alignment and survivability issue. What made WG decide to add a ship that promotes bow-camping, and then make her one of the most vulnerable ships to HE fire in the game, nobody knows. She needs some love, but she's very serviceable and very capable. I enjoyed her, and much of her play-style goes into Yamato, namingly positioning and bow-camping.

Yamato is the pinnacle of the Japanese Battleship Line. The Queen of Battleships, and the undeniable wrecker of bows. Her biggest claim to fame, as it was so in Real Life, are her extremely powerful, extremely huge, extremely long ranged and extremely accurate 460mm guns. At 18.1 inches, just like in Real Life, you are sporting the largest Guns Every mounted on a Battleship, and she has 9 of them. Ships covered in 32mm of armor WILL take penetrations from this ship regardless of angle. The best thing to do to try and avoid her guns is to bait belt shots, but becareful, some Yamato captains will aim at your Super Structure or Bow instead, not falling for your feint.

~Hunter

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Nagato?  She's a bit divisive, some adore her, some hate her.

I guess I am one of those people belonging to the first camp. Honestly, while Amagi is probably the strongest ship in the tree for-tier, I think Nagato seal clubs better. 

[TF-60]
Members
73 posts
7,344 battles

I loved Nagato and Amagi;  kept both.  Permanent gold Camo for the nagato.  Izumi is better than expected; I actually kind of like her, but she’s not a keeper

I'm one of the odd ones who liked New Mex better than Fuso.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I guess I am one of those people belonging to the first camp. Honestly, while Amagi is probably the strongest ship in the tree for-tier, I think Nagato seal clubs better. 

The reason I think people have problems with Nagato is that she is for most parts, accurate.  If your aim is good, Nagato tends to reward you.  If your aim is bad, then that super high BB sigma and tight dispersion goes where your bad aim tells them to go. 

People talk about BB dispersion needs to be as super small as possible, how the sigma needs to be high to make BB gunnery valid.  But the simple truth is that most players' aim is not that good and the natural scatter of BB gun volleys helps them get some hits.  Nobody wants to admit that they need that BB shotgun effect to get hits.

Cruisers already show this.  They are super accurate, high sigma, tight dispersion about half of a BB.  But what happens if your aim is off?  Then that super accuracy, high sigma, tight dispersion goes where your bad aim tells them to go.  The Cruiser compensates with a faster reload to make up for bad salvos and get you on track sooner.  Not so on a BB.  Your aim must be good.  On Nagato, she'll do just that and reward you, otherwise your shells are nowhere near close.

Think of Nagato's gunnery.  Then think about why Fuso is so popular :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The reason I think people have problems with Nagato is that she is for most parts, accurate.  If your aim is good, Nagato tends to reward you.  If your aim is bad, then that super high BB sigma and tight dispersion goes where your bad aim tells them to go. 

People talk about BB dispersion needs to be as super small as possible, how the sigma needs to be high to make BB gunnery valid.  But the simple truth is that most players' aim is not that good and the natural scatter of BB gun volleys helps them get some hits.  Nobody wants to admit that they need that BB shotgun effect to get hits.

Cruisers already show this.  They are super accurate, high sigma, tight dispersion about half of a BB.  But what happens if your aim is off?  Then that super accuracy, high sigma, tight dispersion goes where your bad aim tells them to go.  The Cruiser compensates with a faster reload to make up for bad salvos and get you on track sooner.  Not so on a BB.  Your aim must be good.  On Nagato, she'll do just that and reward you, otherwise your shells are nowhere near close.

Think of Nagato's gunnery.  Then think about why Fuso is so popular :Smile_teethhappy:

I actually do fairly well with both, heh - better with Nagato, though. I used to love my Amagi, but the poor thing gets uptiered so darned much these days that I can't stomach queuing with it. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo