You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Performance issues reported, user side quick fix!

31 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,053 battles

I've been hearing this from a lot of folks and I've picked up a couple quick fixes for you guys..

I know that your computers (not mine, mines crap) are all awesome frightening powerful gaming rigs etc etc ad nauseum...

Right.. first solution:  Switch to the DX-9 graphics in game options as apparently most of the issues are happening with DX-11

What?  Turn down the performance?  Yea turn it down.. A fix will come but until it does, you can choose to gripe and complain or you can apply this simple user side fix.. and get back to playing.... with out lag and frame skips and fps issues...Your call!

Now for the rest of you out there that have crap computers anyway (you know on board graphics instead of a dedicated vid card, only 4 gig of ram on a core duo or i5 system..right, you know, low end!)  from any of the mod packs use the compressed texture packs!  I recommend the 25% texture packs as it doesn't look to ugly but the 12.5% and 1 % while not as pretty (cammo pretty much disappears into monochrome ugliness) but you'll load into mission much faster and and have less system lag due to graphics handling and file swapping.

I finally got clued on this to where it finally stuck *sigh* a couple back myself after hearing the resigned sighs of my clan mates for several months as I'd be delayed spawning into a match by as much as 2 to 5 minutes (!), and some time more if another players connect was a little wonky and cause synchronization issues (or running an XVM type mod that querying the server while launching the game...so many peeps run add on that have zero clue as to how they effect other players connect..which is why I especially want add ons that cause connection sync issues for OTHER players banned out right!   

(there will be those that say [edited] on the effects of add on.  I've been gaming online for 30 years... they are wrong I am right)

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
497 posts
3,661 battles

Interesting....please provide an example of a WoWS client mod that impacts other clients.  Have not heard of this before.

Members
191 posts

Thanks, the Directx9 fixed it for me, I don't use MODs, so not an issue for me there.

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,289 battles
24 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I've been hearing this from a lot of folks and I've picked up a couple quick fixes for you guys..

I know that your computers (not mine, mines crap) are all awesome frightening powerful gaming rigs etc etc ad nauseum...

Right.. first solution:  Switch to the DX-9 graphics in game options as apparently most of the issues are happening with DX-11

What?  Turn down the performance?  Yea turn it down.. A fix will come but until it does, you can choose to gripe and complain or you can apply this simple user side fix.. and get back to playing.... with out lag and frame skips and fps issues...Your call!

Now for the rest of you out there that have crap computers anyway (you know on board graphics instead of a dedicated vid card, only 4 gig of ram on a core duo or i5 system..right, you know, low end!)  from any of the mod packs use the compressed texture packs!  I recommend the 25% texture packs as it doesn't look to ugly but the 12.5% and 1 % while not as pretty (cammo pretty much disappears into monochrome ugliness) but you'll load into mission much faster and and have less system lag due to graphics handling and file swapping.

I finally got clued on this to where it finally stuck *sigh* a couple back myself after hearing the resigned sighs of my clan mates for several months as I'd be delayed spawning into a match by as much as 2 to 5 minutes (!), and some time more if another players connect was a little wonky and cause synchronization issues (or running an XVM type mod that querying the server while launching the game...so many peeps run add on that have zero clue as to how they effect other players connect..which is why I especially want add ons that cause connection sync issues for OTHER players banned out right!   

(there will be those that say [edited] on the effects of add on.  I've been gaming online for 30 years... they are wrong I am right)

DX9 results in a longer amount of playtime for me before the stuttering, and FPS drop creeps in, but it still does happen after 7 or 8 games even in DX9 for me

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,865 posts
1,338 battles
23 minutes ago, Visidious said:

DX9 results in a longer amount of playtime for me before the stuttering, and FPS drop creeps in, but it still does happen after 7 or 8 games even in DX9 for me

So it's like a 'buildup'?  Memory leak of some kind?  I'm a network engineer, not a GPU expert, but is there a garbage collection routine that clears unneeded crap out of the VRAM occasionally, or how does that work?

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,289 battles

Yes it builds up for me at least, my first few games are normal each session and then small stutters followed by big ones and lower FPS

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,023 posts

A memory leak would not surprise me at all.

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,053 battles

ahh yea, thats is indeed what it sound like.. need a RAM flush!  Did someone not sign an integer?  (it's real easy to miss one!)

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

As I posted in another thread. Someone mentioned switching the game to DX9 from 11 worked for them so I tried that it's been much better.

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,053 battles

Missle742;

I'm pretty sure a network guy could explain to you the whys and where for of packet collisions, dropped packets and conflicting port calls.  I'm a hardware technician, not a network guy or a programmer guy.  Give me a burned out mother board and I'm all over it as long as I have parts.  Have soldering iron, logic probe, and multi meter will travel.   

There is so much to learn that folks specialize..  that's why you have hardware guys, Network guys, code monkeys and the crazy over achiever doctorate in computer science types  (who keep inventing new ways for the rest of use hard working technicians and coders to foul it up)

So if you want to find out more, go find the right person to ask.  None of it is simple.  If it was anyone could do it.  Simple graphics, and interface mods are relatively easy to create.  Mod that make external call how ever are not simple and easily fouled up.   I refuse to use any sort of mod that makes external calls for a number of reasons.  Mostly because the internet is a two way street.  Once you give something permission, you run the risk of being remotely accessed.   Run a port sniffer when you game and keep a log of those IP calls.. If something makes a call to an IP addy that is NOT associated with software your running, you have a problem.

[WOLF5]
Members
611 posts
12,163 battles

XVM - I have no data to support whether it draws enough bandwidth or server attention to matter, but I have always suspected that it would. I would think that if only a small percentage of players were using it, it's impact would be minimal. However, I would guess at some percentage it would begin to impact the game experience. 

Again, all guesses and conjecture...so if someone has some data, enlighten us :)

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles
44 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

XVM - I have no data to support whether it draws enough bandwidth or server attention to matter, but I have always suspected that it would. I would think that if only a small percentage of players were using it, it's impact would be minimal. However, I would guess at some percentage it would begin to impact the game experience. 

Again, all guesses and conjecture...so if someone has some data, enlighten us :)

It doesn't, OP has no idea what hes talking about. All stats apps/sites from all of WG games pull from the same source via the Wargaming API, which is separate from the game servers. It's basically a SQL query that has nothing to do with anything in game and is only written to by the game after a battle ends.

https://developers.wargaming.net/reference/na/wows/account/info/?application_id=demo

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles
7 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

So it's like a 'buildup'?  Memory leak of some kind?  I'm a network engineer, not a GPU expert, but is there a garbage collection routine that clears unneeded crap out of the VRAM occasionally, or how does that work?

IMO it's not a client-side memory leak.  Server-side, maybe.

@Dodgy_Cookies, that link leads right back to this thread.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,865 posts
1,338 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

IMO it's not a client-side memory leak.  Server-side, maybe.

Well, I'm trying to figure out how you get server-side issues with fps problems...that only hit some people, unless it's network-related; i.e. on the path between your ISP and WG.

Server lag is almost always universal, if lag it is.  Also, fps problems are pretty much client-side *unless* it's network/server-lag related; i.e. the action slows or pauses because the server is behind.

I don't think this is what people are seeing.  Well, WG will have to figure out why.  Obviously it's not universal.

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles

As I talked about in the FPS thread, it appears that an FPS drop is a secondary symptom of a client/server communications lag.  E.g. No info for the client to render in the sampling period so fewer frames reported.  It's not at all a local issue, and probably not a network issue.  Everything points to burps on the server.

12 minutes ago, Dodgy_Cookies said:

doesnt on my browser. try this instead:

I did some URL hacking and got to what you were pointing at, I think.

https://developers.wargaming.net/reference/na/wows/account/info/?application_id=demo&r_realm=na

{

"status": "error",
    -
    "error": {
        "field": "account_id",
        "message": "ACCOUNT_ID_NOT_SPECIFIED",
        "code": 402,
        "value": null
    }

}

Very interesting link, thanks, but what should I learn from it?

Edited by iDuckman

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

What should I learn from it?

First of all the server is different than the in game servers if you do a trace with a valid application code.

Second is that XVM and a stats site like WTR are all using the same source so unless somehow XVM is malware and ddosing the game server both have an equal effect on in game loading, which is to say 0.

The database is the same one that the game writes to every time a battle is finished and reads from every time in-game player profile panel or clan panel is accessed. Most XVM apps are built for speed and thus limit the requested fields to the basics. If anything the stats sites like WTR, WoWS-Numbers, Maplesyrup that pull more fields are a bigger hog of bandwidth than XVM apps. However the bandwidth that the stats apps/ sites use is miniscule compared to all the detailed stats that the game clients are already writing and pulling every second.

Also look at the limits on the queries. It already has a function to limit queries to prevent a bandwidth/server hogging from external requests.

[WOLF5]
Members
611 posts
12,163 battles
56 minutes ago, Dodgy_Cookies said:

It doesn't, OP has no idea what hes talking about. All stats apps/sites from all of WG games pull from the same source via the Wargaming API, which is separate from the game servers. It's basically a SQL query that has nothing to do with anything in game and is only written to by the game after a battle ends.

https://developers.wargaming.net/reference/na/wows/account/info/?application_id=demo

Wow, thanks so much for that. Thumbs up for you!

[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles

Cookies, you get no argument from me.  I think mods/add-ons have zero to do with the problem.

Thanks again.  Now I have a new toy to play with.

[STURM]
Members
45 posts
16,251 battles

Fix did not work for me. After last patch, same problem: stuttering and FPS drop. Ive been playing over 2yrs and this is the first time its happened in WoWs

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,422 posts
7,448 battles
31 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Who the butt crack voted "Bad" on OP's post?

At a guess, someone who read it?

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
9 hours ago, missile742 said:

Interesting....please provide an example of a WoWS client mod that impacts other clients.  Have not heard of this before.

I actually have heard of a few theoretical mods that could cause major impacts to users.

[CASUL]
Members
255 posts
3,575 battles

It's not a server side issue. It's client side. A server issue isn't going to cause your GPU to drop frames., which is what's causing the stuttering. The FPS counter in my game is rock steady for the first few games, then starts dropping frames as time goes on.

As to what's causing the stutters, there could be several possible causes. Memory leaks, alignment issues, etc. can all lead to frame rate drops.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,285 posts
25,359 battles

I switched to DX9 but it didn't resolve the issue for me.  Still got the FPS drop and stuttering after several games.