You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

Where do the "weekend people" go during the week?

118 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

I just... I mean, I want to say today has been the worst I have ever seen, but it's probably just typical. But... where do these 'people' come from? Why do they appear so consistently - in nearly every match - on the weekends, and seem to disperse like a bag fog come Monday? I just don't understand the mechanics at work here.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,280 posts
7,310 battles

Probably have jobs and family that take precedence. Or kids who are not allowed to play games until the weekend. Not everyone is retired or homeless/jobless and can play 16 hours a day.

• Cool 12

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,982 posts
15,730 battles

I heard of this evil mythical thing called work..............It chills me to the bone to even think of it

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles

We go to work to earn the money that pays for the popcorn we eat while reading dumb threads like this one.:Smile_popcorn:

Who make yours, your mom?

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 8
  • Bad 2

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
10 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I just... I mean, I want to say today has been the worst I have ever seen, but it's probably just typical. But... where do these 'people' come from? Why do they appear so consistently - in nearly every match - on the weekends, and seem to disperse like a bag fog come Monday? I just don't understand the mechanics at work here.

Image result for where have you been gif

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
2 minutes ago, knice_destroyer said:

Image result for where have you been gif

No, see, I'm not disputing that the weekends are bad (try actually reading the OP) - I'm asking where these people go, and why they don't seem to be present during weekdays. This "phenomenon" doesn't make any sense at all. I mean, if these are school children, why don't they play during weekdays? If they're adults, why don't they play in the evenings (or, a better question might be: how do they manage to hold down jobs at all?).

• Boring 3
  • Bad 2

Members
1,869 posts
9,000 battles
12 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

I heard of this evil mythical thing called work..............It chills me to the bone to even think of it

Hard to believe some of these people were judged competent enough to have jobs.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles
Just now, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

No, see, I'm not disputing that the weekends are bad (try actually reading the OP) - I'm asking where these people go, and why they don't seem to be present during weekdays. This "phenomenon" doesn't make any sense at all. I mean, if these are school children, why don't they play during weekdays? If they're adults, why don't they play in the evenings (or, a better question might be: how do they manage to hold down jobs at all?).

Kid, some of us work 10, 11, 12 hour days then we come home to our lovers, wives, children and pets, take care of them, make dinner, clean up and go to bed to do it all over again the next day.  Some of us are even old enough to be your daddy or your grand daddy. Getting old takes a toll. Maybe some day you'll grow up, have a career, a life, a wife, etc. - or not.  In the process you'll inevitably have to get a clue, grow old and eventually die like everyone else.  Those last two things, they're not optional unless you die young. Good luck with all that. 

• Cool 10
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles
29 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Really?

From the clueless things you've been saying here, which are a big tell, I'd wager quite likely really.

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles
47 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

Darn that naughty work!

If not for that capricious, nefarious, troglodyte of a thing; I wouldn’t have so many history books and various dvds clogging my bookshelves!

• Cool 2

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles
32 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Now that is a whole other matter.  48.74%

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
18 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

From the clueless things you've been saying here, which are a big tell, I'd wager quite likely really.

Well, then you must lose bets quite frequently. I'm a library director who is about to turn 36, in possession of two masters degrees, and the author of five books - one of which is being published in May. Nothing I said in this thread is even REMOTELY clueless - the ratio of skilled-to-unskilled players should be the same on an average weeknight as it is during the weekends. People are suggesting that because someone has a job, they must have zero free time; but, last I checked, there are more hours in the waking day than is consumed by a 9-hour shift, or an 8-hour school day.

Moreover, one would assume that, if someone is holding down such a rigorous and demanding job, that they wouldn't have the IQ of a flea. Ergo, when these successful chaps show up en masse - as you posit - on the weekends, one would naturally assume that the quality of play would actually increase over net baseline, not plummet, as we actually see. Thus the thread.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

Probably dads or husbands. I can't play like a neet, but it isn't hard to do a few rounds every day even with a job.

Members
98 posts
3,439 battles

I think it's mainly just because of casual players who don't play that often throughout the week .

Take an average player who plays 5/7 days and someone who plays 2/7, chances are that those who are more dedicated will be more skilled (On average). 

26 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Moreover, one would assume that, if someone is holding down such a rigorous and demanding job, that they wouldn't have the IQ of a flea

I mean, just because your skills excel in one area/field doesn't mean they're all going to transfer to WoWs (for example)

(Speaking for myself personally as a someone in University, even after a day of classes I find myself amidst assignments and reports.)

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
715 posts
5,323 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

This!. I have a job and RL and sometimes have to wait for the weekend to play but I still don't play that bad. So I also wonder what they do for a living if they find playing a computer game this difficult.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,252 posts
8,126 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Because so many careers rely on camping behind an island and memorizing radar ships, right?

• Cool 2

Members
3,806 posts
14,122 battles
1 hour ago, Triela50 said:

So horrible! A job brings in good money and gives one a much better sense of accomplishment than one gets playing a video game. I highly recommend it. :cap_like:

As for where do these weekend players go on weekdays? It's most likely that they have a real life that doesn't revolve around a video game.

• Cool 1

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles
37 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Well, then you must lose bets quite frequently. I'm a library director who is about to turn 36, in possession of two masters degrees, and the author of five books - one of which is being published in May. Nothing I said in this thread is even REMOTELY clueless - the ratio of skilled-to-unskilled players should be the same on an average weeknight as it is during the weekends. People are suggesting that because someone has a job, they must have zero free time; but, last I checked, there are more hours in the waking day than is consumed by a 9-hour shift, or an 8-hour school day.

Moreover, one would assume that, if someone is holding down such a rigorous and demanding job, that they wouldn't have the IQ of a flea. Ergo, when these successful chaps show up en masse - as you posit - on the weekends, one would naturally assume that the quality of play would actually increase over net baseline, not plummet, as we actually see. Thus the thread.

Writing your next best seller, young man? :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Bad 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I just turned 65 Today yes I am retired and play as often as I please.

I am average at best in this game. I don't chase numbers I follow Fun,and Enjoyment.

The weekends are my time to  run errands pay bills and enjoy my time with my family.

I do allow my Family to play on my account if they are interested .

This doesn't happen often,my Interests are different than my Children and Grand Children.

But I do understand the Weekend Phenomenon. It is called Casual Interest.

• Cool 1

Members
7 posts
2,528 battles

Let me take a swing at this.

OP is complaining about the observed skill difference of Weekday vs Weekend warriors.

Weekdays feel like unicrums in every game
&
Weekends feel like potatos in every game

---------------------

Lets try to break this down in normal understandings without going deep into it......

Weekdays - More dedicated players "possibly greater ratio of late teen/adult vs children"
      Rough example: On a given weeknight 5000 players are online. The ratio of skilled vs. unskilled could be the same or different, but based on lots of variables...It could feel like you go up against more skilled players every game....Why? simplest answer: smaller playerbase.....

And the opposite could be said for the weekend....

Playerbase at a given time (Total # of players) is only one variable in a massive formula for determining the perceived skill of a game. 

But I think we can leave it at this.......Unless people don't understand the basics of ratios and wants a schooling on how variables effect outcomes. 

Beta Testers
1,252 posts
8,126 battles
38 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Well, then, you must have overspecialized in your field, and missed out on all the other leisure activities and chores folks have.  Overtime, commuting, kids, caregivers, hobbies, sports, television....

Don't be so damn arrogant.

And, simply because more people have 8-10 hours a day on weekends without, you know, work, they have time to play this, so, yeah, it's a bit clueless to asume it would be the same ratio of skilled to unskilled players.

You are such an ivory tower elitist.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
4 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Don't be so damn arrogant.

I'm arrogant... because I clarified that I hold down a job, have done things with my life, and am an adult? Was I supposed to lie so as to avoid offending you?

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1