You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
India2Romeo06

100+ Main Gun hits Single Game

24 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
6,257 battles

Every once in a while WG creates a mission or task where they want you to get a hundred or hundreds of main gun hits in a single game. I find this really challenging. I don't pretend to be a better than average player. Most of the cruisers I play have 203 mm (8 inch) guns that don't reload that fast. When I drive destroyers they tend to be IJN. I don't drive run-and-gun gunboats very often and I don't tend to do very well in them. 

What ships do you recommend for these missions/ tasks?

I don't really want to buy an Atlanta just for this reason. Maybe I just need to learn to sit in smoke and spam HE. But with which ship?

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,413 battles

honestly you can rack up 100 hits easy in IJN cruisers provided your kiting far 12-15km and spamming HE

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,016 posts
7,530 battles

The issue isnt really the mission, its more that most of the go to ships for a mission like it are really, really easy to delete. I got 148 in De Grasse, and 128 in Akizuki, and thats the closest Ive come so far.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles

Any 152mm armed cruiser will do, the higher the tier the better. I use Kutuzov.

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,833 battles
23 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

The issue isnt really the mission, its more that most of the go to ships for a mission like it are really, really easy to delete. I got 148 in De Grasse, and 128 in Akizuki, and thats the closest Ive come so far.

I've had around 300 or so in my Khab, and around 200 or so in my Kiev.  Had a battle yesterday where I got around 240 ribbons in my De Grasse.

It generally comes down to having a good rate of fire and the ability to not simply get deleted easily.  The Atlanta is actually a somewhat iffy ship for this mission because while it does have a great RoF, its effective range is very limited.  So, if you're going to have a high number of hits game, you need to get into a situation where you can fairly safely engage the enemy at shortish range to increase your accuracy, and that's not so easy to do quite frankly.

A light cruiser like the De Grasse or the K-berg or N-berg, or possibly the Budyonny seem like they'd be good choices because they have good range and good rates of fire.  Of course, they're all squishy, so you have to take extreme care to not get deleted outright.  At tier 5, the Omaha and its premium clones are also good  choices if you know how to make them work effectively.  RN CL's can be useful here too, if you know how to get the most out of them.

For DDs, definitely Russian and Russian style DDs, so that you can play a run and gun game.  USN and USN-based PA DDs may have a good RoF, but you have to be fairly close to be accurate.  Firing from smoke can be effective, as long as someone else is spotting for you and there's no radar around or a torpedo DD ready to spam the smoke.

Even high tier BBs that have great secondaries and are probably secondary builds can do well at earning ribbons, though you do need to get into brawling range to get those secondaries in action.

Anyways, that's just a few thoughts on the question...

• Cool 2

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,159 battles

I ended up getting this done with Atlanta on Trident/Epicenter. Just enough rocks to keep from being deleted, and got lucky with a team slightly less melty than the reds. GL to the rest of y'all. I hate missions that require ridiculous numbers PLUS you have to win or win + survive. Its like having a giant mailed fist up your puppet. 

Edited by LancerUlysses

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
501 posts
3,673 battles

Omaha/Marble/Murm are good low tier choices.  Russian line T6 and higher plus Cleve are easy.  Brits CLs too but they seem to get focused soon as start spamming

Beta Testers
1,061 posts
13,873 battles

Some examples of 203mm guns reaching more than 100 hits in a game,

hits.JPG

hits1.JPG

hits2.JPG

Brit cruisers are easiest.

fij.JPG

minny.JPG

nep.JPG

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

It was awhile back but I got more than the 150 hits needed for the current mission with my Roon and that is a CA with 8" guns. The best way to go after a mission like this is to not go after it, simply play and if it happens it happens.

[RLGN]
Members
8,310 posts
17,372 battles

All good suggestions above.

Using Normandie (for the secondaries,) and De Grasse right now.

[DOG]
Members
438 posts
5,782 battles

Well, if it's just number of hits, Kuma and Nurnberg work okay, if you can stay alive long enough.  I've got an Atlanta, but only 6 commander skill points so far.  This ship really, really needs concealment expert and advanced fire training.  The combination of 10.98 km stock concealment (without camo) and 11.1 km max range means you get deleted early and often, unless you hang in the rear with the BBs.  You also become everyone's primary target the second you are spotted.

360 posts
194 battles

Depending on what Tier or Class, some low tier fast reloads are the Karlsruhe (6.5 sec) and Benson (7 sec). Also look at taking a Captain with Adrenaline Rush, or any reload modules you can put into a Slot.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,762 battles

I recommend Nurnberg/Konigsberg or Akizuki. Nurn has a 6s reload, and with a good position, Akizuki can easily net 400 hits. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,833 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It was awhile back but I got more than the 150 hits needed for the current mission with my Roon and that is a CA with 8" guns. The best way to go after a mission like this is to not go after it, simply play and if it happens it happens.

A.  It's harder to do in 8" gunned CAs than in 6" gunned CLs, just on raw RoF.  (Of course, a CA like the Des Moines is an exception here due to its CL-like RoF.)

B.  As for the best way to go ... I have a split opinion on this. If you're grinding some lines, I wouldn't stop doing it just because of this mission.  I'd still try to get your dailies, particularly when you have a +100% weekend like this weekend.  But once you're over doing them, I'd suggest maybe rotating through some of your favorite high RoF ships, if you like variety.  You don't have to get all super-focused on maximizing your ribbon earning within the battles.  But if you pick ships that are good for producing a high RoF in normal play, you can play those ships normally without any undue pressure to play beyond your normal play style just for the ribbons.

58 minutes ago, Seniorious said:

I recommend Nurnberg/Konigsberg or Akizuki. Nurn has a 6s reload, and with a good position, Akizuki can easily net 400 hits. 

Those are all good choices.  There are actually a number of good tier 5 and 6 CL's that have high RoF's that are good for this task.  And the Akizuki is outstanding for it, as long as you know how to play it reasonably well.

And in theory, the Atlanta should be good, but I've found that its short range really limits its potential if you don't get an Atlanta friendly map (i.e. lots of islands and lots of shortish lines of sight).

Members
842 posts

Obviously, CLs (those with under 200mm guns, and having a reload time well under 10 seconds) aren't that hard to get 100 hits in a game, when you can put out 8 salvos of 8+ shots/minute.   CAs with larger guns and slower ROF (in the 12+ reload time) have to rely on several major tactics:

1. Survive a long time. You need TIME to get your total shot count up to where you can get the absolute number of hits. Typical hit rate for 8" cruisers is 1 in 3. So for something like a Myoko (10 shots/salvo) where you land 3-4 shots at a time, you need to be able to shoot 30 salvos. Which is gonna take (at 15 second reload time) 8 minutes of continuous firing.
  2. To accomplish #1, you really should use passive play.  That means, NO pushing, NO risk taking. It doesn't mean camping, but it means that you play as a 2nd-line support ship. Not up with your DDs capping, but back with the BBs giving fire support.
  3. In particular, look for places where you can use cover to shoot off a half-dozen salvos safely. 2 minutes in a smoke screen, or behind an island, can easily get you 40+ hits. Or even just being behind a BB which is drawing focus fire is a good place.
  4. Finally, look for the high-percentage shots.  Generally, this means shooting at BBs, but also broadside cruisers or any stationary target. Basically, look for the opportunity to land a much larger than normal percentage of your salvo: 6+ shells, rather than the 3-4 you normally do.  This can mean bypassing opportunities to kill low-HP ships.  Do so if it doesn't cause you an immediate risk of death to yourself.

Basically, for newer players, it means being selfish. Sorry, but that's the truth.  Look for ways to accomplish your goal, not necessarily the "best" play possible in that situation.  Because the goal is to complete the mission, NOT to win.

Higher tier ships generally have the advantage in these kinds of missions, for two reasons: better ROF all around, and longer, on average, survival time per game, due to increased armor, heals, and large HP pools.

In terms of just pure Dakka-Dakka-Dakka and being able to through enough [edited] at the wall and hope some of it lands, I give you these non-premium ships that excel here (in order of maximum shot output):

Minotaur, Akizuki, and Neptune.  All have about a 150+ shots/minute output.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the Cleveland, Fiji, Edinburgh, Khab, and the 155mm Mogami, all of which can put in the 100 shots/minute range.

For the current French Gold campaign (wanting huge numbers of flags), I'm using my Akizuki and Minotaur most of the time, as I can easily post 300+ and 500+ hits/game, respectively. And that's with me not being a very good shot (somewhere under 30% of my shots land).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

A.  It's harder to do in 8" gunned CAs than in 6" gunned CLs, just on raw RoF.  (Of course, a CA like the Des Moines is an exception here due to its CL-like RoF.)

B.  As for the best way to go ... I have a split opinion on this. If you're grinding some lines, I wouldn't stop doing it just because of this mission.  I'd still try to get your dailies, particularly when you have a +100% weekend like this weekend.  But once you're over doing them, I'd suggest maybe rotating through some of your favorite high RoF ships, if you like variety.  You don't have to get all super-focused on maximizing your ribbon earning within the battles.  But if you pick ships that are good for producing a high RoF in normal play, you can play those ships normally without any undue pressure to play beyond your normal play style just for the ribbons.

Those are all good choices.  There are actually a number of good tier 5 and 6 CL's that have high RoF's that are good for this task.  And the Akizuki is outstanding for it, as long as you know how to play it reasonably well.

And in theory, the Atlanta should be good, but I've found that its short range really limits its potential if you don't get an Atlanta friendly map (i.e. lots of islands and lots of shortish lines of sight).

I was just trying to say that it isn't impossible.

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,833 battles
29 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

Obviously, CLs (those with under 200mm guns, and having a reload time well under 10 seconds) aren't that hard to get 100 hits in a game, when you can put out 8 salvos of 8+ shots/minute.   CAs with larger guns and slower ROF (in the 12+ reload time) have to rely on several major tactics:

1. Survive a long time. You need TIME to get your total shot count up to where you can get the absolute number of hits. Typical hit rate for 8" cruisers is 1 in 3. So for something like a Myoko (10 shots/salvo) where you land 3-4 shots at a time, you need to be able to shoot 30 salvos. Which is gonna take (at 15 second reload time) 8 minutes of continuous firing.
  2. To accomplish #1, you really should use passive play.  That means, NO pushing, NO risk taking. It doesn't mean camping, but it means that you play as a 2nd-line support ship. Not up with your DDs capping, but back with the BBs giving fire support.
  3. In particular, look for places where you can use cover to shoot off a half-dozen salvos safely. 2 minutes in a smoke screen, or behind an island, can easily get you 40+ hits. Or even just being behind a BB which is drawing focus fire is a good place.
  4. Finally, look for the high-percentage shots.  Generally, this means shooting at BBs, but also broadside cruisers or any stationary target. Basically, look for the opportunity to land a much larger than normal percentage of your salvo: 6+ shells, rather than the 3-4 you normally do.  This can mean bypassing opportunities to kill low-HP ships.  Do so if it doesn't cause you an immediate risk of death to yourself.

Basically, for newer players, it means being selfish. Sorry, but that's the truth.  Look for ways to accomplish your goal, not necessarily the "best" play possible in that situation.  Because the goal is to complete the mission, NOT to win.

Higher tier ships generally have the advantage in these kinds of missions, for two reasons: better ROF all around, and longer, on average, survival time per game, due to increased armor, heals, and large HP pools.

I largely agree with your points, EA.  At the same time, while I've been grinding these tasks, when I'm playing a cruiser I don't ignore the low HP ships.  I may ignore the healthy DD that's out there at 12+ km in favor of the BB that's also around that same range, but that can also depend on the tier and the specific DD.  I'm not averse to throwing out a volley in that DD's direction to get a little chip damage, but I'm not going to waste my time chasing him for minutes on end when there's a BB there waiting to be farmed.  But this is also how I'd usually play without this mission.  I'd only chase that DD if there was a very significant and important reason for doing so beyond him just being a DD, like he was in our backfield and we had a  carrier that needed to be protected.  Or for that matter, if I thought that there was a BB that needed some cover as well.

Overall, I'm not really playing my ships all that differently because of this mission.  I just choose to play ships that I think are good for the mission with my normal playstyle.

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,833 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I was just trying to say that it isn't impossible.

And you're not wrong.  I had a great battle earlier today in my Martel.  A good, high tier CA with long range, accurate guns can farm a lot of hits if your aim is good and you avoid taking too much damage while you're kiting.  

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,439 posts
9,620 battles

Cleveland, Belfast, Kutuzov, Fiji, 155mm Mogami are all easily 100-150+ hits/game.

Several others can get it done frequently, also, but those above are just too easy.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,195 posts
11,707 battles

Light cruisers, you can pick most any of them

[AAA]
Members
443 posts
5,505 battles

Consistently have no problem getting 150+ with Belfast, la gal, De Grasse, Cleveland, and when played patiently Des Moines. DM loves distracted bbs and he shells fall like rain. 

Russian dds are easy too. Leningrad is my boat and I love the pain Asian t6. I rack up hits in those.