You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Redaction

DD Main

22 comments in this topic

[RN]
Beta Testers
1,021 posts
1,161 battles

Hi guys, its been a looong time since ive posted. But I started playing again not to long ago, and although I love the history and grandeur of Battleships, and the elegance of Cruisers,

I have always loved the sheer action of destroyers, its just taken me a long time to realize I want to become a DD main.

So what I am asking, for any DD mains out there, pointers, tips, I am not a good player by any stretch, but i'll take any advice.

Happy sailing.:Smile_honoring:

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles

Well, let's see....

Don't go into a Domination cap without knowing what DDs and Cruisers the enemy has. If a Radar cruiser is coming, and the cavalry isn't right behind you - bail.

If your concealment isn't the best, go TO a CAP, and CONTEST a cap, but don't die trying to TAKE a cap. Also, see aforementioned note above regarding cavalry.

Don't sit sideways to the enemy in smoke.

AP works better on Cruisers and even BB superstructures, better than you think. Once you get a fire going, switch to AP and see how that does for ya.

The longer a match goes, the more important to your team you become. Caps can be retaken. Sunk DDs remain sunk.

Don't forget to do the things that aren't rewarded but win battles - spotting, smoking BBs, capping/re-capping, denying enemy DDs access to your BBs.

That'll do for a start. 07

[OPG]
[OPG]
Members
137 posts
7,319 battles

My Quick tips for you: 

1. Get concealment expert ASAP
2. When loading into the game, look at the enemy team and see what ships have radar. 
3. Try to stay on the edge of caps when capping. 
4. Have a get-away plan when going in to torp someone.
5. If they are advancing in your direction ~12km and closing, you can launch 10km torps and still hit. 
6. If you hit a torp, you can call out what ship damage controlled or burn it down with HE. 
7.Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings. 
8. Dont go into caps with no team support. (team is a/b, dont head c)
9. Use smoke to get away, dont sit in it (I always torp smoke, and dds that sit get torped)

Happy Hunting!

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,442 posts
11,693 battles
2 hours ago, Zarenno said:

My Quick tips for you: 

1. Get concealment expert ASAP
2. When loading into the game, look at the enemy team and see what ships have radar. 
3. Try to stay on the edge of caps when capping. 
4. Have a get-away plan when going in to torp someone.
5. If they are advancing in your direction ~12km and closing, you can launch 10km torps and still hit. 
6. If you hit a torp, you can call out what ship damage controlled or burn it down with HE. 
7.Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings. 
8. Dont go into caps with no team support. (team is a/b, dont head c)
9. Use smoke to get away, dont sit in it (I always torp smoke, and dds that sit get torped)

Happy Hunting!

All these tips are extremely important.

I allways check enemy destroyers first. Which ones can out spot me, which ones have better guns.

Then I look for radar ships and hydro.

#10. Stay alive, no matter what. A destroyer late game can win the game. Spotting for team, torps and ships. Laying smoke screens and exerting map control through your being there. I have turned 3 battleships away just by launching area denial torps and keeping them spotted. 

Grabbing caps mid to late game is more important than in the first 2 minutes and dying.

Members
599 posts

Fav Premium  and reg DDs at tiers that are comfortable and have contests. IMHO

5 Grem

6 Anshan

7 Sims

8 Benson and clones

If you buy just one get Sims. 

Videos on YouTube were very helpful especially Flamu. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[HYDRO]
Members
1,541 posts
3,751 battles

Normally it depends on which nation you play since there are differences in the gameplay between them but here are some pretty global tips in addition to the ones already mentioned above.

In addition to concealment that Zarenno recommends, you MUST MUST MUST use Last Stand as your 2 point skill. Otherwise you are dead in the water and will end up under the water pretty soon.

Know the concealment ranges of each DD you are about to face in a battle and use that in your favor. Why rush a Benson in a Kagero for example if you got a 400m buffer range in which you can keep him lit up?

Be aware of the ballistics of each DD you will be facing. If in a russian DD for example you come across a USN one, it is far more efficient to keep the engagement at around 6.5-7km where it becomes increasingly hard to get hits with floaty shells.

The white line torpedo indicator is showing the course of the enemy IF he keeps the same course.  You therefore have to torp accordingly. If someone is coming after a turn for example his speed will increase and your torps will miss.

Just because some DDs don't have such a big focus on gunnery doesn't mean they cant do damage with them. If your opponent has a few thousand HP smoke up and finish him, dont wait for new sets of torps.

There is no shame in retreating for a bit if the situation is too hot for you.

That's all I can recommend on the top of my head. Hope you have good luck in DDs :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
1,732 posts
9,857 battles
6 hours ago, Redaction said:

Hi guys, its been a looong time since ive posted. But I started playing again not to long ago, and although I love the history and grandeur of Battleships, and the elegance of Cruisers,

I have always loved the sheer action of destroyers, its just taken me a long time to realize I want to become a DD main.

So what I am asking, for any DD mains out there, pointers, tips, I am not a good player by any stretch, but i'll take any advice.

Happy sailing.:Smile_honoring:

My advice is to talk to the best DD main your clan has.  Ask them to teach you the way.

360 posts
194 battles

Tip: Don't start the match by immediately hunting enemy CV's. You are doing a terrible, horrible thing if you do. It's arguably worse than going middle on Two Brothers to start a match.

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,369 battles
  • Forget CV hunting, especially in the first half of the game. Keep enemy ships spotted, even if at the expense of capture points. Maybe at the end of the game when you are hunting for the last few points to win and the red carrier is spotted within easy strike range. Timing your attack against when he sends out his attack aircraft will take some practice.
  • Help your cruisers to eliminate enemy destroyers. DDs are built to be spotters, directing the orchestra of fire while remaining unseen. You can bring down the wrath of an angry god onto the enemy team and hold entire flanks with one or two ships supporting you.
  • Torpedoes are great, but not the end-all of your firepower. Your greatest utility to the team is in the late game when enemy ships have been damaged. Burning down a wounded battleship who just fired his guns, or flooding out a cruiser that just used his damage control will help your team.
  • In the late game, you can turn the tide when it comes to points. Your carry potential is massive. Stealing or just contesting capture points at the end can get your team just enough points to win.
  • If in doubt: RUN AWAY. Getting killed contesting a cap will do your team no favors. Dumping a spread to deter someone from following you, then turning out with a cloud of smoke helps a lot in the lower tiers. Once you hit T6 and start seeing radar, you'll need to be much more careful about when and where you engage.
  • Having a cruiser tagging along behind you makes a cap circle into a nightmare for enemy destroyers. German destroyers are particularly good for this role given their powerful guns, good torpedoes, and sonar for spotting torpedoes and ships. A third division member in a carrier can make a cap circle into assisted suicide for enemy destroyers.
  • Aircraft are of satan. Seriously. Spotter aircraft, catapult fighters, and carrier squadrons are one of the largest threats to your health next to radar and hydro. Friendly AA cruisers and carriers are your friends.
  • Cruisers, especially light cruisers with radar, will ruin you before you have any chance of getting away. Some of them like to lurk behind islands in likely approach routes and wait to snack on an unprepared destroyer.
  • Battleships are your easiest targets, but don't abuse their relative lack of speed and maneuverability. Many battleship captains are savvy to destroyer tactics, making torpedo attacks into a waste of perfectly good ammunition.
  • If you do decide to attack a battleship, stern-chasing is a back idea. Attack them from the front. They can't turn as quickly, are slower, and present a vastly larger target. I've sunk more than a few battleships by charging them bow-on and waiting for them to turn away. If they aren't paying attention, you can eat a few hits from their secondary batteries on the way in before dumping a spread of torpedoes into the water and rushing away to enjoy the satisfaction of the kill.
  • Torpedo arming distance is a thing, and will make you tear out your hair by the fistful. Within about 100 meters, the torpedo isn't guaranteed to arm and will do no damage.
  • Guns can save you, and are just as important as your torpedoes and spotting. You'll run into an enemy DD at point-blank range sooner or later and need your guns. A wily guy will jump and jive and twist and turn while keeping a hail of fire on you. Learning to lead a small and fast target who is actively avoiding incoming fire will decide entire games.

That's all I got for now.

• Cool 2

Members
842 posts

I'm a heavy DD player, mostly KM and IJN ones, so there's a bit of bias in this post.

Most of the recommendations are excellent - I'll only touch on things that haven't been said (or expand on certain ones):

• KNOW YOUR OPPONENTS.  More than any other thing you can do to improve your play is to spend a dozen hours reading the Wiki.  You don't need to memorize exact stats, but you need to know the general capabilities of every nation and every line.  For instance, you need to know that T8+ KM BBs all have hydro - you don't need to memorize the exact range.   Keep a mental checklist of which ships are still in the game, and what their general threat to you is - regularly hit Tab to see the ship summary as to who's died and whose still alive.
  • KNOW YOUR SHIP.  There's lots of information in the UI about it - use the little gear icon next to the minimap to open the configuration, and set the various indicators.  In addition, go watch the Youtube videos on your ship type for gameplay hints.  You don't have to follow their captain skills or module recommendations, but keep in mind all the tips they say about where the strengths and weakness of your ship are.  I'd watch at least an hour or two of different folks to get a good idea.  Honestly, you need to have committed to memory the primary important stats of your ship:  gun range, torp range, and concealment range.  UI features can help, but it's just best to have it in your forebrain.  Spend 30 seconds looking at the ship stats BEFORE you hit the Battle button.
  • SITUATIONAL AWARENESS IS KEY.  More than any other ship type, DDs require that you know what's going on. Increase the side of the Minimap by at least 50%, so you can regularly look at it (every 15-20 seconds) for 2 seconds to see what's up.  I recommend also making it (the minimap) more transparent so it doesn't interfere with your display so much.   Remember which enemy went where, note who is coming your way, and where cover and exits are.
  • DIFFERENT DD LINES HAVE DIFFERENT GOALS.   Keep them in mind, and also modify what you're doing by who is on your team. KM, US, and PA DDs are good early cappers (in that order). IJN DDs cap well in mid-late game.  IJN and PA DDs are good scout/spotters if your team doesn't have a CV.  USSR DDs are excellent at harassment and distraction - good for not just damage, but pulling enemy ships out of position chasing you (or just shooting at you rather than your teammates).  PA's DWT make for excellent gap ambushes - throw them down lanes where you expect an enemy to push through, and their very low detectability means they can't dodge them well even if they're expected. IJN torps are for "herding" - you don't score well in them, but you can push your opponents around merely with the threat of them. KM and US DDs are excellent in the anti-DD role.  And so forth.

And one final note:  don't be afraid to be detected, even in IJN DDs. It's OK. DDs can still dodge well. What you want to avoid is a position where more than one opponent will be shooting at you at once, because THEN you are in trouble.  But don't be afraid to pop your guns or close for a point-blank guaranteed torp run if your opponent is alone, everyone is distracted elsewhere or there's easy cover nearby.  It's not detection that you should be afraid of, it's being focused fired. Avoid those situations like the plague - the concentrated fire of 3+ ships can put you in the grave in a matter of seconds. But just one ship being able to shoot at you before you disappear? Not an issue.

Several of the mods and UI configs provide additional information you might find helpful:  things such as last-seen position indicators, the ship type being shown, short summary of enemy capabiltiies, etc.  Experiment with which you find useful, keeping in mind that information overload is a problem.

• Cool 2

[CUTE]
Members
413 posts
6,085 battles

1. DON'T start with IJN DD line

2. Seal your eyes on the MINIMAP, make it half your screen, drive using MINIMAP, drop torps using MINIMAP, only look when shooting or dodging torps

3. Always TAIL-IN caps

4. Torps are meant to miss

5. GO WIDE if you are new to DD, be a coward, ignore what your teammates say, tell them you are new DD player, don't expect me to cap.

[RN]
Beta Testers
1,021 posts
1,161 battles

Guys thanks for all of this advice, it is most appreciated. o7

Members
26 posts
5,971 battles

Just stay alive.  No matter how far. No matter what occurs..... etc.

Seriously, every decision you make should be considered with if you will be alive when the action is taken.  As almost everyone emphasized, a DD late game is incredibly important.  

As a DD, one torp salvo in the last minute of the game can give you a win and 100k damage.  If you are dead, you don't have the chance to do this.  

Also, since you've been away awhile educate yourself with the newish smoke spotting mechanics.   Don't waste your smoke on covering BB's who are going to continue to fire and extend their concealment to 15km.  

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,841 battles
On 3/3/2018 at 6:18 AM, Thornir said:

smoking BBs,

Not really a good use of smoke anymore (90% of the time) after the smoke change unless you are sure the BB will stop firing and hide. Even heavy cruisers may be a waste depending on the ranges. Smoking CLs and other DDs-still good. The rest of the post was spot on.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,926 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not really a good use of smoke anymore (90% of the time) after the smoke change unless you are sure the BB will stop firing and hide. Even heavy cruisers may be a waste depending on the ranges. Smoking CLs and other DDs-still good. The rest of the post was spot on.

Well, ok. Thanks! No +1?!:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
3,758 posts
13,966 battles
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Canadatron said:

Caps aren't worth dying over. 

That's a fact! many times in the last few days I've gotten wasted by trying to early cap because my so-called "support" ran off as soon as a Red DD appeared. After my most recent battle where I was hung out to dry, I've resolved that I will never attempt a early cap anymore due to lack of support. I'll scout/spot/harass but I will not even approach a cap until later in the battle.

When driving my CLs I try to support, with varying success, the DD who's making a cap attempt but as a DDriver I rarely get the same.

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,369 battles
13 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

That's a fact! many times in the last few days I've gotten wasted by trying to early cap because my so-called "support" ran off as soon as a Red DD appeared. After my most recent battle where I was hung out to dry, I've resolved that I will never attempt a early cap anymore due to lack of support. I'll scout/spot/harass but I will not even approach a cap until later in the battle.

When driving my CLs I try to support, with varying success, the DD who's making a cap attempt but as a DDriver I rarely get the same.

Absolutely. I fled a cap the other day and someone on the team started giving me flak for leaving. "If you want that cap, you go get it".

Members
191 posts
38 minutes ago, Red_Hammer_Fleet said:

Absolutely. I fled a cap the other day and someone on the team started giving me flak for leaving. "If you want that cap, you go get it".

Know the feeling, another thing to not do:

Don't rush another DD so your team can get rid of it, the amount of BB/CA that out right refuse to shoot at DD's when there are other targets is down right astounding...this causes more losses in a game then any other...i f%^&%$^$ hate it with a passion, but i cant make them shoot anything.

Bottom line, dead DD gets nothing done, and frankly with the way other ship types are playing as of late, F'em, stay alive and try to do what you can, because any sacrifice is just a complete waste.

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,369 battles
5 minutes ago, xovian said:

Don't rush another DD so your team can get rid of it, the amount of BB/CA that out right refuse to shoot at DD's when there are other targets is down right astounding...this causes more losses in a game then any other...i f%^&%$^$ hate it with a passion, but i cant make them shoot anything.

This is why I like to sail in the three-ship division. I'm always in a DD, with a variable loadout for the other ships. Whether DD/DD/CL or DD/CL/CL, we focus down any DD we find as soon as possible. Two Mahans backed up by a Shchors or an Atlanta are scarily effective against an unsupported DD.

Oddly enough, CAs are very helpful against destroyers. Their higher damage per shell does compensate for their lower volume of fire per gun. One of my clan-mates has racked up a solid kill count against DDs while driving his Graf Spee.

A friendly BB firing AP often helps a lot, since BB AP often strips away a lot of HPs in a couple hits. Not too long ago I had my Maaß with two Gneisenaus providing close cover. We raised a good bit of hell before the enemy team started to focus us down.

Members
191 posts

Yea, sadly i mostly solo que and the guy i do division with tends to have some bad habits on his CA even when i tell him about it, he almost always goes broad side, which gets him citadel'ed.
He also tends to hide behind other ships instead of using positions for cover stating he does good damage but can't be the focus. So this tends to keep him out of range from being effective. :Smile_sad:

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

Minimap. Secondly, minimap. Next best advice - minimap.

Know your Concealment Range. Think carefully before firing your guns.

Avoid IJN DDs.  German or USN are most balanced.  Russian DD act more like cruisers; spamming from 10km rather than using a mix of guns/torps/stealth.

Spend a lot of time at T4 until you win 55%+ of your games and have good damage/kdr. All the DD there (of any nation) are excellent. Then head up to T7 due to MM.

Priority Target/Last Stand/Survivability Expert/Concealment Expert are not always the optimal builds, but always improve a DD. Last Stand is mandatory.

Stay alive. Nothing you do is worth it if you die in the first 5 minutes. A cap is not worth your life.

Never fight fair.  Never duel another DD who isn't sick/isolated/unprepared/outgunned.

Check your support vs their support. It's not about the enemy ship, it's the fact he has 4 guys a few km behind him and you have 1 crayon-chewing BB sniping from 18km.

Check enemy fleet on loading screen. Any CVs? Any radar ships? DD with better concealment than you? Be cautious until you've located the threats on your minimap.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1