You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Two great USN dds, who gets the highest point Captain?

13 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles

Currently, I have my highest point captain in my Clemson (16)  My Farragut captain (11) isn't that far behind, but it feels like it takes much longer to get each point with him.  Should I just switch captains (I'll take the $$ hit that it takes to keep each of them at the same skill level)?  Captain's skills at higher level ships tend to count for more than at the lower tiers.

The only reason that I haven't done it yet is more psychological than tactical.  I hate to diminish my success in the Clemson because she's my "go to" ship when I need to get a win after playing higher tiers or different lines and getting pummeled.  I love the Farragut's game play, but at Tier VI, she has many enemies (radar, hydro, planes).  It makes for intense game play. 

At the end of a long day at work, there are some nights that I just want to play WOWs and not be the tactician.  I just want to shoot stuff.

So, can I still be a seal clubber in the Clemson with an 11 pt captain?  If so, what so you suggest as Captain's skills?

If I keep them the way that they are, how do I speed up my Farragut captain's skills?  Lots of Coop battles maybe?

• Funny 1

Members
842 posts

I can't answer the question about moving captains, because that's up to your personal perference.

As far as skills, the base DD build of pretty much all nations is (in the order you get them)

• Preventative Maintenance (level 1)
  • Last Stand (Level 2)
  • Survivability Expert (Level 3)
  • Concealment Expert (Level 4)  {except Russian DDs, who should probably take Advanced Firing Training as their Level 4 skill instead)
  • Adrenaline Rush (Level 2)

From there, you've got a whole bunch of choices to make based on your playstyle and the particular ship being played.

For US DDs, I'd recommend Superintendent (Level 3) as the next skill, followed by either Priority Target (Level 1), Basic Firing Training (Level 3) or Advanced Firing Training (Level 4)

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

My build is close to EAnybody's, the only difference is on my Clemson I run Superintendent over the Survivability Expert at tier 4 if it's going to remain a tier 4 due to the low gain. Tier 6+ it's a must though.

If you plan on keeping him in the Clemson, Advanced Fire Training is a must since it puts you at 10.35km gun range which helps a lot with the Clemson. Beyond that the AFT can hurt you due to the range it increases your spotting distance when firing.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles
2 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

I can't answer the question about moving captains, because that's up to your personal perference.

As far as skills, the base DD build of pretty much all nations is (in the order you get them)

• Preventative Maintenance (level 1)
  • Last Stand (Level 2)
  • Survivability Expert (Level 3)
  • Concealment Expert (Level 4)  {except Russian DDs, who should probably take Advanced Firing Training as their Level 4 skill instead)
  • Adrenaline Rush (Level 2)

I agree with everything except your choice of the Level 3 skill.  SE is a wonderful skill for a dd captain to have but it is a defensive as opposed to an offensive skill, especially with a dd that is primarily a gun dd.  BFT is much more useful.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,920 battles
2 minutes ago, Azumazi said:

If you plan on keeping him in the Clemson, Advanced Fire Training is a must since it puts you at 10.35km gun range

I tried AFT.  At that range, the Clemson's guns are not accurate against anything other than BBs and they give you away.  I must respectfully disagree.

Members
842 posts

SE is actually an offensive skill, because it allows you to stay in the fight considerably longer.  For ships that spend a large amount of time detected - and that's gunboats - surviving longer is FAR more important than being able to shoot a little faster.

AR already gives you that offensive bump later on.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
2 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I tried AFT.  At that range, the Clemson's guns are not accurate against anything other than BBs and they give you away.  I must respectfully disagree.

bbSgT9i.jpg

My EU Clemson stats disagree. The AFT means you can punish people extremely well at longer ranges, especially if you abuse that amazing USA Smoke at tier 4.

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,618 battles

There are several ways to skin that cat.  None of you are wrong.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
5,157 posts
2,443 battles

Put her in the Clemson because memes.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,661 battles

Well if you love American Destroyers I suggest buying the Sims because you can move those captains in and out and train both of them into 19 Point captains in The Sims and still use them on each ship because of the elite transfer with no penalty that's what I did and now just about all my American destroyers have 19 Point captains

As for Keepers I found Benson and above we're all keepers and of course you can't get rid of the Clemson it's one of my favorite ships in the game

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,810 battles

The higher the tier means more captain points are a priority.

19 or Gearing captain vs a 10 point Gearing captain.....

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,011 posts
7,530 battles

While they can help, Captains Skills at low tiers aren't nearly as helpful as they become further on, unless you're just going to seal club and pad your stats and WR. While I do have fun under T5, honestly, using newbies to make yourself feel better and/or look better really isn't the way to go about it.

Your higher skilled captain should be on your higher tier ship, unless you just have tons of 10+ captains laying around(Which I do), the skills are not only much more useful as you move up, the skill level you face is higher as well, those skills will save you against the average opponent, whereas while they might do that at T4, you should already have the skill needed to save yourself.

I see all those DD builds up there, and just LOL at the fact that PT isn't the first skill taken. Knowing how many are/can be firing at you will help you learn when to take offensive and defensive actions. PM isn't nearly as useful in DD's, because their mods are so easily knocked out, even with PM, it's a point in the early build that's wasted. Once you get up around 13+ points, if you want it, then take it. LS at T2 is far more useful than PM at T1 for a DD.

I'm also not for taking SE in regular PvP, in competitive, such as Ranked, very yes, especially for ships like Farragut and Gaede with their high detection, but you'll still need SI to go with it, to get the most out of it.

The thing is, with skills, any build can work for anyone, no-one has the exact same playstyle. PM may work for those guys, it doesnt work for me. Perhaps it will for you, the only way to know is to keep playing and moving skills around when you can.

[RLGN]
Members
8,305 posts
17,365 battles
5 hours ago, AMajor said:

The only reason that I haven't done it yet is more psychological than tactical.  I hate to diminish my success in the Clemson because she's my "go to" ship when I need to get a win after playing higher tiers or different lines and getting pummeled.  I love the Farragut's game play, but at Tier VI, she has many enemies (radar, hydro, planes).  It makes for intense game play. 

'Skill' is more you than the captain themselves, to a certain extent. Started out Colorado on a dare with a zero point captain, and have done just fine in it.

So, go ahead and move them if that's what you want. Either just accept the penalty, or pay for retraining.

2 hours ago, silverdahc said:

Well if you love American Destroyers I suggest buying the Sims because you can move those captains in and out

This is all it's good for, as far as I'm personally concerned. Otherwise Sims was just as useless to me as Benson.

10 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Your higher skilled captain should be on your higher tier ship, unless you just have tons of 10+ captains laying around(Which I do), the skills are not only much more useful as you move up, the skill level you face is higher as well, those skills will save you against the average opponent, whereas while they might do that at T4, you should already have the skill needed to save yourself.

Pretty much.

Just grinding them in Co-op, my Langley driver is currently 17 points. (My 19-pointer is currently in Ranger.) Putting either of them in anything higher would just be a waste of time.