Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sic_Semper_Tyrannis

Ship Hull Numbers

10 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
6,499 battles

I think the game creators should be able to easily add the hull numbers of all ship to make everything look more realistic.  I really doubt it'd be hard to put "61" on the USS Iowa.  Not all ships had hull numbers in reality, I know.  But the USS Montana would have been BB-67 and hence have the hull number 67.  Anyway, just my two cents, something that may make the game more realistic.

• Cool 2

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles

Except for the ARP ships, premiums, and one-off ships like Gneisenau, the tech tree ships represent classes, not individual ships. No reason to put hull numbers in. If you really want hull numbers, there are mods that allow for that, although only on client side.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,216 battles

I wish there was an in game way to make a tech tree ship display the hull number and name of any ship of that class. That way if you had the King George V but you wanted it to say Prince of Wales it would. On team lists and on the over target markers your ship would still display as the correct ship to prevent confusion. Stuff like that.

• Cool 3

1,266 posts
13 battles

A couple of great suggestions in this thread. Thanks for sharing guys!

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
13 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

I wish there was an in game way to make a tech tree ship display the hull number and name of any ship of that class. That way if you had the King George V but you wanted it to say Prince of Wales it would. On team lists and on the over target markers your ship would still display as the correct ship to prevent confusion. Stuff like that.

The issue is then you can't make them into separate ships. Here's a list of the 11 BB's who already make this impossible.

Konig Albert

Scharnhorst

Tirpitz

Warspite

Duke of York

Conqueror

Arkansas Beta

Massachusetts

Missouri

Mutsu

Mushashi

All the anime variations of the Kongo.

Hull numbers would be a nice addition though, but giving one the chance to be any of a class of ship would contradict so much. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,216 battles
Just now, Aristotle83 said:

The issue is then you can't make them into separate ships. Here's a list of the 11 BB's who already make this impossible.

Konig Albert

Scharnhorst

Tirpitz

Warspite

Duke of York

Conqueror

Arkansas Beta

Massachusetts

Missouri

Mutsu

Mushashi

All the anime variations of the Kongo

You're completely missing my intention I think. The idea is that nothing would change at all, except to me it would show a different member of the same class. I'll try to give a really specific few examples.
Here is 1 example - I chose this example only because the ship name is prominently displayed on the rear deckhouse.

This is a bit of HMS Hood. Now I know there were no other Admiral Class Battlecruisers built, but originally there were several planned and one of those was initially going to be named HMS Howe. Say I wanted my HMS Hood to actually be HMS Howe. All that would change in this case is that on the physical model of the ship, in my client, it would say "HOWE" on the back in place of "HOOD."

DvPEcCr.png

Same thing with something like Montana. I would personally LOVE to take my Montana and re-badge it as USS Maine. I'm a Mainer born and bred, and proud of it. Maine is one of the few states to never have a Dreadnought (or later) battleship named after it. One of the Montanas was going to be USS Maine. I would love to see my Montana sailing around with a big old 69 on her bows and MAINE written across her fat aft. It wouldn't change anything else, and to everyone else the ship would display as Montana.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
12 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

You're completely missing my intention I think. The idea is that nothing would change at all, except to me it would show a different member of the same class. I'll try to give a really specific few examples.
Here is 1 example - I chose this example only because the ship name is prominently displayed on the rear deckhouse.

This is a bit of HMS Hood. Now I know there were no other Admiral Class Battlecruisers built, but originally there were several planned and one of those was initially going to be named HMS Howe. Say I wanted my HMS Hood to actually be HMS Howe. All that would change in this case is that on the physical model of the ship, in my client, it would say "HOWE" on the back in place of "HOOD."

DvPEcCr.png

Same thing with something like Montana. I would personally LOVE to take my Montana and re-badge it as USS Maine. I'm a Mainer born and bred, and proud of it. Maine is one of the few states to never have a Dreadnought (or later) battleship named after it. One of the Montanas was going to be USS Maine. I would love to see my Montana sailing around with a big old 69 on her bows and MAINE written across her fat aft. It wouldn't change anything else, and to everyone else the ship would display as Montana.

I think you're missing what I'm saying, all the examples I've given above are classes with two separate ships represented meaning those are all classes where you couldn't do this as there are two slightly different existing sisters. WG would have to do this with some classes(like Admiral or Montana) but would not  be able to do it with others. Also the second huge issue is that there is no doubt that WG intends to release some sister ships of existing in game ships as premiums, what do they do then? Sister ships are going to be a big part of the game in the future as premiums and this would make doing that impossible because why buy the premium Howe or the premium Maine when you could just get your Hood and Montana click a button and change the name? The person whose client is effected is the one who'd matter to WG more here because why would you spend money on a Maine or Howe if you have it already?

Not saying Howe and Maine are necessarily going to be released soon(think the Maine has a far better chance of making it into the game because I think every US state will get a BB in the game, if the game survives long enough) and that it wouldn't work for those classes independently for now, but I don't know how WG would be able to make those changes for a few classes and not for others. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,216 battles
38 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

I think you're missing what I'm saying, all the examples I've given above are classes with two separate ships represented meaning those are all classes where you couldn't do this as there are two slightly different existing sisters. WG would have to do this with some classes(like Admiral or Montana) but would not  be able to do it with others. Also the second huge issue is that there is no doubt that WG intends to release some sister ships of existing in game ships as premiums, what do they do then? Sister ships are going to be a big part of the game in the future as premiums and this would make doing that impossible because why buy the premium Howe or the premium Maine when you could just get your Hood and Montana click a button and change the name? The person whose client is effected is the one who'd matter to WG more here because why would you spend money on a Maine or Howe if you have it already?

Not saying Howe and Maine are necessarily going to be released soon(think the Maine has a far better chance of making it into the game because I think every US state will get a BB in the game, if the game survives long enough) and that it wouldn't work for those classes independently for now, but I don't know how WG would be able to make those changes for a few classes and not for others. 

I don't see why there has to be any conflict here. For the first bit, there isn't any reason why a person couldn't cosmetically pop on the name of a ship just because it's duplicate is already in the game, or because that duplicate is a different tier etc. With regard to premiums, yeah it would probably cut into sales a little bit, but I'd actually be surprised if it was that much of a cut. For one thing, premium ships are almost always more than just a name change. Sure, some like Prinz Eugen, are basically just a name change but the majority are more than that. If there were, for example, a premium USS West Virginia and I had USS Colorado and I pushed the free name change button, yeah sure I could call myself West Virginia, but I wouldn't have the credit earning or the ability to help train captains, and I also wouldn't get any changes that come from premium ships almost always being unique or somehow improved.

By the way, you're right. I was misunderstanding you originally. I thought you were either saying 1 of 2 things, but I judged that Thing 2 (which was your actual thought) was less likely, so I didn't talk about it before.

Sign in to follow this