You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SRB_Red_Bandit

New to the game

25 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
Members
7 posts
2,217 battles

Hi i am coming over from WOT so i have some basics down. What line is a fun one to go down? I only have played fewer than 10 games but have the tier 2 Russian boat and somehow i have an Albany premium boat. What are some famous historical boats to play (im playing for free so please do not recommend premiums)? This game seems easier to advance down the line than WOT is that true? I use quickybabys mod on WOT, i know i dont need one yet but is there any good LEGAL mods to check out (i like seeing wn8 that way i know who is a good player and watch them after i die)? I prefer wots garage interface as im used to it, something about WOWS garage is throwing me off, any way to change it?

Thanks

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles

Welcome. I'm pretty new as well, but I've found the American and German battleship lines are fairly forgiving and easy to play. There is a section in the forums dedicated to mods, there is even a Wargaming mod pack. As far as the port UI, I'm not sure on that. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,632 posts
13,606 battles

Hey welcome aboard:Smile_honoring:

Yeah battleships can be fun but Cruisers are pretty fun to learn on after you play a few games just don't show the side of your ship if you don't have to

Edited by silverdahc

[PVE]
Members
9,741 posts
7,472 battles
22 minutes ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

Hi i am coming over from WOT so i have some basics down. What line is a fun one to go down? I only have played fewer than 10 games but have the tier 2 Russian boat and somehow i have an Albany premium boat. What are some famous historical boats to play (im playing for free so please do not recommend premiums)? This game seems easier to advance down the line than WOT is that true? I use quickybabys mod on WOT, i know i dont need one yet but is there any good LEGAL mods to check out (i like seeing wn8 that way i know who is a good player and watch them after i die)? I prefer wots garage interface as im used to it, something about WOWS garage is throwing me off, any way to change it?

Thanks

Don't play anymore battles if you are at Service level 3 or lower. Put in this code.

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/OwpAraz

You will get a Diana after playing a PvP battle and get Texas when you play a tech-tree T6 battle along with other goodies. Roughly $25 value.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,741 posts
7,472 battles

Do check out the New Player forum.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/123-new-player-guides/

Especially @hangglide42's great WOWs enjoyment series.

If you go to buy any ships, certainly check out @LittleWhiteMouse's reviews. She is the gold standard on premium ship reviews.

Otherewise, the vast majority of the people here are helpful, except for whiny posts. Those get sass.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,844 posts
13,820 battles

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

I would start down the USN Cruiser line as if you can reach the Tier 6 Cleveland you'll have a Tier 8 cruiser when they rework that line. The Russian and Japanese cruiser lines are fun as well. I would avoid the British cruiser line as they are a high risk high reward ship type. Battleships can be fun but also slow and boring at the low tiers. Higher tier BBs can be a lot of fun. I would recommend you play some Destroyers as they are a lot of fun and it helps knowing what they can and cannot do while sailing other ships. USN DDs are jack of all trades, Germans DDs are hybrids, Russians are gun boats and Japanese are torpedo assassins. 

As for mods WG has an official mod pack that they over see, so you souldn't* have problems using it. Aslains also makes one that should* be safe to use.  

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, Lord Zath Replay Theater and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,460 posts
2,405 battles

Curse you, Soviet sub captain @Kizarvexis for getting to the prize first! 

Welcome aboard Bandit (and you too Marmoset). 

This is a better code!  (No, really!)  https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/enmKvwq

More in after a moment.

[moment]

There are excellent and legal modpacks available.   Best to use the standard UI for now.  You will see desirable mods in vids. 

Warning:  The use of team survey mods such as wn8 and vmx is technically legal (at the moment), but is strongly discouraged both by general sentiment, and for good reason. Unlike WoT (?) there seems to be little correlation between rating and success.  Especially at lower tiers, you would do better to concentrate on situational awareness.  This is a very different game from WoT.

Edited by iDuckman

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
26 minutes ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

Thanks

Let's see historical boats?

IJN BBs, USN BBs, RN BBs have a few.

If you want specific ships that have a nice history:

North Carolina, Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico, Fuso, Yamato, Gniesneau, Bismarck, King George V, Queen Elizabeth for BBs.

Cruisers: Mogami, Myoko, New Orleans, Cleveland, Baltimore, Des Moines, Hipper, Nurnberg, 

DDs: A LOT OF THEM.

Just examples.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,864 posts
19,063 battles

Welcome to WOWs you  WOT players . I myself have over 32.0000 battles in WOTs I  stopped playing them for a while now , my 250 tanks collecting dust  . But hey I've got my 229 War ships to keep me busy now

Members
3,790 posts
14,062 battles

Welcome aboard! If you're interested in running Cruisers, I recommend the French Line. They're overall good to very good ships with only one true lemon on the lot. (Jurien, tier 2)

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,566 posts

Tip for dealing with the playerbase: Don't play anything over Tier 6 unless you want to be greeted by tryhards and stat-card-warriors every battle. Down low is where the fun is until you're properly comfortable with how things flow around here. Or just turn off chat, either one~

[WOLF3]
Members
6,460 posts
2,405 battles

If you're interested in running Cruisers, I recommend the French Line.

I have enjoyed the French CR, but at the moment running up the USN line will be more rewarding with the upcoming line split.  Grind to Cleveland, Pensacola, and New Orleans, and each will yield a free ship. 

Edited by iDuckman

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Welcome aboard.

Leave your Tanks Education and comparisons at the dock.

You have entered the Water and will find it nothing like you have ever experienced.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

The higher you progress before your ready will only turn you away faster to the docks.

Never Buy a premium Ship above your tier rating.

Higher Tier isn't easier because of bigger guns.

Don't rush up a tech tree learn each ship you own and each ship you face in battle.

If you think a player is "CHEATING" you have encountered a Seal Clubber.

WG has a very good ongoing anti Cheat mechanic.

Learn your gun ranges and detection ranges. Learn your enemies. Knowledge is Power, Go to WIKI and read about your ship and your enemies.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
79 posts
8,510 battles

Best Advice

Try each ship type to see which one you enjoy the most, then find a solid line to progress down.  If you have any questions about mechanics or gameplay there are great resources out there to view.  The game has great in-game tools you can turn on for battle that help a ton with everything.  I hope you find lots of success and welcome to World of Warships!

• Cool 1

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

Be aware that some lines have gameplay changes in the middle of them that may knock you for a loop if you aren't prepared.  For example in the USN BB line the Colorado to the North Carolina features a change from slow,  heavily armored dreadnought style to a faster,  slightly less armored style.  Do a little research before you commit to a tree to make sure the high end is going to be something you're still interested in.

[AK-49]
Members
7 posts
2,217 battles

hey thanks for the codes guys unfortunately my 6 games have got me to level 4 so i am too late to use them, both were the same link to be copied though and i dont know where to enter them.

thanks for the advice, I already have favourited the wiki on my phone and tablet to read up on all the ships but like the wot wiki, every ship looks great and only until you play against them then you see how good they really are.. watching Mighty Jingles videos to put me to sleep is what brought me over to this game and so far i like it a lot so hopefully I will be more active on the forum.

[PVE]
Members
9,741 posts
7,472 battles
2 hours ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

hey thanks for the codes guys unfortunately my 6 games have got me to level 4 so i am too late to use them, both were the same link to be copied though and i dont know where to enter them.

thanks for the advice, I already have favourited the wiki on my phone and tablet to read up on all the ships but like the wot wiki, every ship looks great and only until you play against them then you see how good they really are.. watching Mighty Jingles videos to put me to sleep is what brought me over to this game and so far i like it a lot so hopefully I will be more active on the forum.

I could not remember how many games it took to get to service level 3. The main WOWS page has a link to invite 'Your friends' and you can get your own invite code. Each player has a unique code and they all take you to the same spot to get the new player rewards. It comes out to about $25-30 worth of ships and goodies. You can purchase the ships later if you don't want to give up the progress or username that you have.

There are a lot of Youtubers, so you can try iChase, Notser, URPeacekeeper, Flamu and many others. I recommend viewing multiple Youtubers at first as they all play slightly different from each other. 

Definitely check out the forum links above and someone always asks a question about the game here, so I have learned a lot by reading others questions.

It is a different meta from WoT and I understand that tactics there don't always transfer, like the peek a boo from cover that you can do in a tank. The meta also changes as you go up in Tier.

Do try co-op to learn to shoot, move and communicate, but you are more aggressive in PvE than PvP. I do recommend popping back into PvE at tier 5 as you start seeing +2 MM then and it can be a task to adjust. Play enough T5 PvE to get used to being against T7 bots and then go back to PvP to learn how to be bottom tier vs players. 

PvE is also something that you can play a lot of, if you are tired of playing vs people and people like myself are PvE mains who only play a little PvP, which isn't how WoT works.

Good luck and fair seas. Welcome to the game.

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,435 battles

I wonder what it would be like to experience this game as a new player now.  There are so many options to choose from it's almost overload.  When I started they had IJN and USN ships only.  

Members
3,790 posts
14,062 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I have enjoyed the French CR, but at the moment running up the USN line will be more rewarding with the upcoming line split.  Grind to Cleveland, Pensacola, and New Orleans, and each will yield a free ship. 

Possibly. the USN Cruisers may be great after the split or they may sucketh most heinously. Only when it finally happens will we know.

I was suggesting the French Cruisers because they seem, to me, to be the most noob friendly Cruisers.

[PVE]
Members
9,741 posts
7,472 battles
2 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

I wonder what it would be like to experience this game as a new player now.  There are so many options to choose from it's almost overload.  When I started they had IJN and USN ships only.  

I started July of 2016 and there was IJN, US and RU ships. Then the Germans, UK, and French lines have been added, so you are right that there is a lot of choice now. 

[TURDS]
Members
582 posts
3,941 battles

Welcome aboard!

As has already been said; take your time. Learn as much as you can about which types of ships/play styles work for you at tiers 1-4 before moving up.

There is a ton of information available if you look for it and you don't have to look very hard.

It can be a very rewarding game, but be prepared for a learning curve. Have fun!

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
11 hours ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

Thanks

Welcome to WoWS 

I too made the move from WoT to ships, hopefully you'll have as much fun with this as I do. 

I have found the following lines fun, but also forgiving for new players: 

• American Destroyers (lots of fast firing funs, usually lots of torpedoes that are medium ranged - fast paced action but good for supporting teams with long-lasting smoke)
  • German Battleships (strong armour means if you havent got your angling right you tend not to take catastrophic damage - but the guns are innacurate so you have to get in close)
  • British Battleships (although they teach you bad habits, like firing HE at everything, as a line it is hard to go wrong in these ships). 
  • French Cruisers (strangely good armour - for a cruiser - and good all-round balance for new players - mix of good guns and solid torps). 

On the other hand, make sure you avoid:

• British Cruisers - to not die early, these ships require very good understanding of how a range of game mechanics interact in order to live, position well, fight effectively and be useful to the team - something for more advanced play.  When you do get them, however, they are great - my favourite line in the game. 

Always happy to answer specific questions.

Good luck, and enjoy!

[SUCIT]
Members
827 posts
3,628 battles
14 hours ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

Thanks

Before asking what lines to go down, you need to know what you like playing.  I HIGHLY recommend trying all different ships for your first few hundred battles, until you figure out what you like.  My recommendation for starter lines are USN DDs (United States Destroyers) , KM BBs (German Battleships) and IJN CA (Japanese Cruisers).  These are all good lines with some very fun ships, which are all relatively noob friendly.  Speaking to historical ships, there are ships in most lines that have some sort of historical notoriety.  The T8 KM BB Bismarck, and the T10 IJN BB Yamato are two of the most popular historical ships currently in the game.  

As for mods, most people run Aslain's mod pack, which you can find here.  There is a Matchmaking Monitor mod in the pack all the way at the bottom that is very accurate if you care to use it.  As it stands, everything in Aslain's pack is legal.  Some of the mods I have personal questions about, but thats another topic entirely.  There is no way, to my knowledge, to change the port interface.  You have the carousel settings on the bottom left of your screen, right above your first ship, which has a few settings in it, but it really doesn't change much. If you have any gameplay questions, don't hesitate to ask myself or someone else on the forum.  

Good luck and fair seas.

Members
18,241 posts
5,215 battles
17 hours ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

Hi i am coming over from WOT so i have some basics down. What line is a fun one to go down?

They all are, depending on how you like to play.

My suggestion is play every line that interests you to T5. If you really like something, keep going on it in the meantime. You won't tier up quickly, but you'll have plenty of experience under your belt as you do. Plus, there's a good chance you'll find "hidden gems" in lines you wouldn't otherwise like, some of which may even be ships that most players dislike.

17 hours ago, SRB_Red_Bandit said:

This game seems easier to advance down the line than WOT is that true? 

I'd say yes. WoT, I had around 40 tanks, collected over 4 years and 12k games. Had 2 Tier 9s as my highest, 1 wasn't fully upgraded, the other was, but nowhere near the Tier 10 XP-wise.

Here, I have about the same number of ships, 2 Tier 9s, and a Tier 10. That's 2.5 years (?) and just over 4k games. And games here tend to take longer to play than WoT.

That's both on a free account, with a month of premium thrown in every now and again.