Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Quick and dirty. The Lyon

5 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,428 posts
12,017 battles

Finally picked up my Lyon yesterday.. no mission, had to do it the hard way by grinding. 

I am seriously impressed with this ship!

Amor:  Not especially thick but it is deeply layered most everywhere with a turtle back to provide additional protection inside the belt armor, and with and extension of the belt armor proving some  serious additional protection across the stern (and steering gear module) and far up onto the bow at the water line.  Deck armor thin but adequate.  End caps on the citadel area are very thin but difficult to get at without a  lot of luck. And the citadel is deeply buried and below the water line.  turret armor does the job.

Guns: 

"You load 16 guns and what do you get? 4 hits per salvo, oh what a threat. "

The guns even though they are small  (380mm is small?  Yea, Look around!), are solid performers, and I am finding it very easy to keep an average 25% or better hit rate with them.. and with this ship that 4 hits per salvo on average!  Most BB's it will face have heavier guns but just are not going to land as many shots on target.   Most have 8 to 9 gun tubes up to 16" but Lyon pretty much doubles that number.  The secondaries are surprisingly well placed with good arcs of fire and are are also quite numerous with 12 tubes per side either out gunning or simply throwing a greater weight of metal then almost any other BB.  AA protection with the second hull is scary phenomenal for a non US BB.. likely because the stock AA is all replaced with american licence built Oerlikon 20mm and Bofor 40mm.  Take BFT and AFT.. push the secondary range out while also pushing your AA rating into the high 80's and extending your AA bubble out to 5Km..  CV Drivers are all ready learning just stay away from this ship unless that absolutely have to take it out because they will loose aircraft in job lots.

Build: 

I highly recommend putting the special commander "Jean Jacques Honore' '" from the collection on this ship, and taking the skills he has bonuses in.  I've seen the reload time drop down to 15 seconds or there about while packing damage (I'm really quite busy at that point so I'm rarely looking at the ready time so much as screaming faster faster!) so maybe hold off on damage repair to take advantage of this for as long as possible.   You've a lot of strength in this ship that you can consider a unconventional build.  Don't be afraid to try  the road less traveled and enhancing the more subtle aspects of the ship .  I would not be adverse to taking this ship into a tier X match by divisioning with a tier VIII.  you will be facing 12 gun BB and CA, but you still have 16 guns and effective armor and a good turn of speed.  Thsi ship can be that strong.  And if their armor is resisting your shell fire,  get closer.   Shoot them in the face! You have 16 main guns!

I'm finding it very easy to maintain a minimum 50k damage out put per match and I have has some whopping matches in this ship so far and then best of them have been when I'm low tier!  High tier players who do not respect the capabilities of this ship will find them selves "Drawn Measured and found wanting"  (quiote from movie "A Knights Tale")

Final thoughts.

This ship feels like driving a Fuso.  The IJN BB shotgun, even though it has no where near the gun range the Fuso does.  But then I'm not the conventional Fuso driver that is always sitting back and sniping.  I go up front and enjoy  deep sixing Cruisers and Destroyers with main guns and secondaries.  I may die but I tend to leave a bit of a mess in my wake before I do.  That mess can leave ones team in a very good position to secure a win against more conventional heavy ship drivers.  Strip away a teams DD and Cruisers leaving the teams remaining BB's without support.  My ship is an asset to be spent, and I will spend it well if at all possible.    I think my record on Destroyer kills with a BB in a match is currently at 4,  3 for sure.   I like hunting DD with a BB, it's fun and challenging! (yea it's risky...Hello,  your driving a war ship.. risk is what you do!).   And as I am a DD main,  I know what they can do and more importantly, what they can't do!!  I personally run with a hybrid AA and secondary build spec I'm not afraid to charge a DD with a 7.2 Km secondary range when maxed out.   Also unless your specifically looking to get a fire set leave AP loaded at all times.  Your HE damage numbers are low, and the HE has a flatter trajectory to target because of a much higher muzzle velocity due to the lighter shells.  If your firing over an island you may find that your AP shots will clear the island and your HE shots will not!  Look at those numbers for the ship.. its right there in front of you.  I'm also finding the HE performance against CA's and DD's is not significantly better then the AP.  It may be better, but it doesn't feel better.    

Lyon is a solid performer and a ship you will want to keep as part of your collection.  If you got her from a mission I'm a little envious, but she is worth getting.    The French BB's are surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly both strong yet well balanced against other ships.    You have a lot of guns, but they're not as heavy as other BB's.  Your range on them is good, but few french BB have a spotter plane, and the ranges are typically shorter then other BB.  Your armor is good, but your HP pool tends to be a bit on the light side in tier for the class.  The ships tend to be fairly speedy but slow responding to the rudder and sloppy in the turn.  It's very easy to over turn the ship and this can be death in closed waters as you "Notser" an island at the absolute wrong moment... hanging out around islands for cover can leave you trapped and helpless.   I really do advise stay out of close waters.. open waters is your friend..  Yes they can all see you to shoot, but really thats kinda immaterial, and only an issue if the other team has nothing else they can shoot at.  This ship is not, I repeat NOT a long distance sniper.  Only the number of gun barrels it has allows it to snipe at all without a tremendous amount of experience and practice.   If your still fairly new to the game with less then 3-4,000 battles your just not going to have experience on average.  (I didn't,!)  So use your good armor with slim angles of approach (just sufficient to get the two forward turrets into play.. that is still 8 gun tubes!),.  The extended belt will allow you to maintain an approach with manageable damage taken.  You can still be at around 12 Km to a target and be a very difficult kill if you angle at around 20-25% aspect to incoming fire. Strait bow on tanking is NOT recommended.   The Citadel end caps are THIN and If the bow gets overmatched your likely to take a citadel or magazine hit!  This qualifies as a "bad thing" and if it happens to you you can then official announce your having a bad day! (with proof!)

I really like the Lyon.  She's great fun and is my "hands down" go to tier VII BB.  If I had a Scharnhorst, she'd have competition, but I do not.. so France gets the honors with this one.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,400 posts
9,542 battles
48 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

This ship feels like driving a Fuso

So much this ^^

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,270 battles

Great write up, I’ve had the Normandie since the first day it was available out of a crate and fell in love with it, I had in the top 3 of matches in it on the server.

As a result I had plenty of xp to instantly buy the Lyon and dive in to it right away when the patch went live.

i really enjoyed it, but it never exceeded my feeling for the Normandie, and I now have the Richelieu so will be leaving the Lyon behind.

Definitely a great ship, the one thing that stood out to me is I didn’t get as many citadels with it as with the Normandie, maybe because the T7 MM is tougher.

Lyon felt like a sledge hammer to me, brute force, while the Normandie was more like an Axe, devastating damage if a bit of precision was added in to the approach

Nice write up, interested in what you have to say about the next few French BB as well

Edited by Visidious

[HEROS]
Members
1,428 posts
12,017 battles

umm right about 90-100000 XP to go for the next one.  I am going to enjoy the grind up to Normandie.  I drove Normandie on the test server found her pretty impressive. But Lyon will stay in my port.  She's that good, and a blast running in ops!  I'll toss a report up when I get there!  I promise!

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
7,776 battles

I'm not surprised I can get around 100k average in most of the French BBs I've played so far (T5-7) . It's the expected jump in power creep from the slightly less well performing RN BBs. 

Sign in to follow this