Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
soko99

Smoke and visibility glitch

13 comments in this topic

[APOC]
Members
147 posts
6,696 battles

So it's been about 3 days in a row where this has happened.

you are only 2 ships around.. you rush a ship inside the smoke.. he becomes visible.. takes a few shots, you shoot him.. then he goes invis.  but you are still visible.  He is well within spotting distance, but for some reason, the smoke conceals him.. but it doesn't conceal you for him.  There is no hydro, no radar, no spotting planes, in fact you are the only 2 ships around that could see you. (happens a lot during the cyclones hence how I know we are alone)

So what's going on here WG???

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,927 battles

DD's firing from smoke mostly have a 2 Km spotted range . Bigger ships have a much bigger range that they can be spotted at so the DD can still see you . This probably something like what you are talking about .  Of course I could be wrong . Have been many times in the past and unfortunately I expect the same to be true in the future .

:Smile_honoring:

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
11 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

DD's firing from smoke mostly have a 2 Km spotted range . Bigger ships have a much bigger range that they can be spotted at so the DD can still see you . This probably something like what you are talking about .  Of course I could be wrong . Have been many times in the past and unfortunately I expect the same to be true in the future .

:Smile_honoring:

I would lean towards this being your issue too, OP.  Reactions aren't working for me right now for some reason, so no thumbs up, sorry.

Edit:  After a quick look at the OP's info on warships.today, I'm thinking this likely isn't what's going on.  OP has a lot of games in all classes and does well.

Edited by AspiringCodger

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles

If you shoot at someone in smoke, your detection range increases and they can see you. One trick for players in smoke is to bait your quarry into firing at you - you can aim at them, but they can't see you. I try to hold fire when charging smoke for that very reason, but frequently forget and get peppered/torped on the way in.

Could that possibly be the issue?

[WAG]
Beta Testers
680 posts
5,559 battles

what ship where you in, and what ship where they in?

[APOC]
Members
147 posts
6,696 battles
1 hour ago, GX9900A said:

what ship where you in, and what ship where they in?

1 hour ago, dionkraft said:

submit replay

Where do i submit the replay. ?  I'll post a screen cap https://imgur.com/a/hrznt

Notice he is visible just about to go inside smoke.  we are both detected.. he goes INSIDE the smoke.. and goes invis.. however, I am still visible.  We are well outside assured detection and with cyclone active, we are both limited to 8km range of anything and anyone around us.

20180302_115913_PFSC107-Algerie_46_Estuary.wowsreplay

Edited by soko99
Gameplay

Members
2,500 posts
5,485 battles
42 minutes ago, soko99 said:

Where do i submit the replay. ?  I'll post a screen cap https://imgur.com/a/hrznt

Notice he is visible just about to go inside smoke.  we are both detected.. he goes INSIDE the smoke.. and goes invis.. however, I am still visible.  We are well outside assured detection and with cyclone active, we are both limited to 8km range of anything and anyone around us.

You upload the REPLAY here to the forum.  Pick the file and drop it onto the lower area where it says: "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."

[APOC]
Members
147 posts
6,696 battles
9 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

You upload the REPLAY here to the forum.  Pick the file and drop it onto the lower area where it says: "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."

Done..

[WAG]
Beta Testers
680 posts
5,559 battles
3 hours ago, soko99 said:

20180302_115913_PFSC107-Algerie_46_Estuary.wowsreplay

in that image you are in a CA with a 8.4 km smoke firing detection range. he is in a DD with a 2 km smoke firing detection range. you are 5 km away from him. as such, you cannot spot him, because his det range in smoke is lower then yours. there is no error here.

edit: 

here is a list of all assured detection ranges when firing in or around smoke.

[APOC]
Members
147 posts
6,696 battles
4 hours ago, GX9900A said:

in that image you are in a CA with a 8.4 km smoke firing detection range. he is in a DD with a 2 km smoke firing detection range. you are 5 km away from him. as such, you cannot spot him, because his det range in smoke is lower then yours. there is no error here.

edit: 

here is a list of all assured detection ranges when firing in or around smoke.

But I am outside the smoke driving towards the smoke.. more importantly.. he is INSIDE the smoke.     If he was outside and I was inside, it would make sense.. but the issue is that he is the one inside the smoke.. and I am outside of it.. even if both of us were INSIDE the smoke it wouldn't matter since you cannot spot a ship from inside smoke. 

Edited by soko99

[WAG]
Beta Testers
680 posts
5,559 battles
10 hours ago, soko99 said:

But I am outside the smoke driving towards the smoke.. more importantly.. he is INSIDE the smoke.     If he was outside and I was inside, it would make sense.. but the issue is that he is the one inside the smoke.. and I am outside of it.. even if both of us were INSIDE the smoke it wouldn't matter since you cannot spot a ship from inside smoke. 

smoke doesn't care wether you are in or out of it. only line of sight matters to smoke. when looking through smoke, if your in line of sight, and firing, then your det range is determined by the smoke det ranges in that forum post. since no one was within 2km of that DD, dispite the fact he was firing you couldn't see him. however he was within 8.4 km of you, and since you fired your guns he could see you. if you stopped firing for 30 seconds you would no longer of been spotted, but since you kept firing, he was able to continuously spot you.

[APOC]
Members
147 posts
6,696 battles
1 hour ago, GX9900A said:

smoke doesn't care wether you are in or out of it. only line of sight matters to smoke. when looking through smoke, if your in line of sight, and firing, then your det range is determined by the smoke det ranges in that forum post. since no one was within 2km of that DD, dispite the fact he was firing you couldn't see him. however he was within 8.4 km of you, and since you fired your guns he could see you. if you stopped firing for 30 seconds you would no longer of been spotted, but since you kept firing, he was able to continuously spot you.

This sounds like a broken mechanic.  If firing your guns is a LOS thing, then a ship inside the smoke shouldn't see you.  and if it is an assured detection model, then why doesn't ships sitting on the other side of an island within the smoke firing range show up as well.  Why would a ship magically be able to see through the smoke to see you? 

Sign in to follow this