You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Kirov?

29 comments in this topic

Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles

For some unknown reason I picked up this ship. Good guns and fast but short range torps. Looking at Warships Today data she does not have a big win rate. If you play her do you like her?  How do you play her?  Carefully? Etc.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I absolutely loved it.  I played it at range, constantly maneuvering while burning everything in sight.  The guns do pretty good damage on their own without fires too.

Edited by AspiringCodger
  • Cool 1

Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
12 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

I absolutely loved it.  I played it at range, constantly maneuvering while burning everything in sight.  The guns do pretty good damage on their own without fires too.

OK.  I wonder what accounts for it's pretty low win rate?

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

It requires a very different play style compared to its predecessor, so my guess would be it's played by people that know nothing about the ship and try to play it like the tier four.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,249 posts
17,264 battles

Hated it and sold it; likely for the same reason as the low win rate; they explode at the least hint of a shell landing nearby.

4 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

It requires a very different play style compared to its predecessor, so my guess would be it's played by people that know nothing about the ship and try to play it like the tier four.

Pretty much.

Players suffer or fxp through it, or drop the line entirely, (like I did,) and so the poor win rate clings to the ship like seagull droppings; which, btw, also seem to be enough to make a Kirov explode when they hit...

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

clings to the ship like seagull droppings; which, btw, also seem to be enough to make a Kirov explode when they hit...

Every time I try to give you a laughing face reaction, I get an error for some reason.  This is absolutely true, but it's pretty fast, has decent maneuverability and has amazing range for it's tier even without the spotting aircraft.  So, against most players, as long as you're at least somewhat unpredictable in your movements at range, it's pretty easy to avoid getting hit for the most part.

Edited by AspiringCodger

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles

Play it carefully and at range. You have great guns but are armored with tin foil and your citadel is a catcher's mitt for enemy AP shells.

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
721 posts
11,933 battles
48 minutes ago, dmckay said:

For some unknown reason I picked up this ship. Good guns and fast but short range torps. Looking at Warships Today data she does not have a big win rate. If you play her do you like her?  How do you play her?  Carefully? Etc.

I think it is a fun ship to play. I have had some success bouncing incoming shells (to a point) by angling, and her guns really do pack a punch. I play the ship at longer ranges as an HE spammer, using the AP (which is VERY good) on broadside cruisers to devastating effect. Just watch your angles and be aware of what might be trying to flank and you will do fine and have fun, imo. 

Respects,

Am

Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
16 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

Every time I try to give you a laughing face reaction, I get an error for some reason.  This is absolutely true, but it's pretty fast, has decent maneuverability and has amazing range for it's tier even without the spotting aircraft.  So, against most players, as long as you're at least somewhat unpredictable in your movements at range, it's pretty easy to avoid getting hit for the most part.

It's survive rating is on par for most all cruisers in her tier. Better than some. I got it because I like than great gun range and it's a fast ship. Those torps are also fast.  Get close enough and I don't see how you can miss.  Well, ahem, I can miss. :Smile_teethhappy:  I about to take her into random battle.

Edited by dmckay

Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
30 minutes ago, Amracil said:

I think it is a fun ship to play. I have had some success bouncing incoming shells (to a point) by angling, and her guns really do pack a punch. I play the ship at longer ranges as an HE spammer, using the AP (which is VERY good) on broadside cruisers to devastating effect. Just watch your angles and be aware of what might be trying to flank and you will do fine and have fun, imo. 

Respects,

Am

Tks. Very good guns and very long range.  I agree.  Also she is fast.  This is a good combination. Maybe I can make her work but tier 5 is goofy ya know. Maybe players coming to her from tier 3-4 just charged into battle mindlessly.  I charge in semi-mindlessly.:Smile_izmena: Looks to me to be a ship one would play like one would play the Phoenix. 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
721 posts
11,933 battles
59 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Tks. Very good guns and very long range.  I agree.  Also she is fast.  This is a good combination. Maybe I can make her work but tier 5 is goofy ya know. Maybe players coming to her from tier 3-4 just charged into battle mindlessly.  I charge in semi-mindlessly.:Smile_izmena: Looks to me to be a ship one would play like one would play the Phoenix. 

My first time in the ship, climbing through the tier pretty quickly, I did not do well. Not until I went back, thousands of games later, and bought the ship again, a much better understanding of game mechanics on my tool belt, did I start to do well with Kirov. But once I did that, I knew I liked the ship. So much so that I went ahead and bought the Molotov at T6 which, despite ugly T8 up-tiering, I love to play also.

I wish you fun and success with the Kirov, brother!

Respects,

Am

Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
4 hours ago, Amracil said:

My first time in the ship, climbing through the tier pretty quickly, I did not do well. Not until I went back, thousands of games later, and bought the ship again, a much better understanding of game mechanics on my tool belt, did I start to do well with Kirov. But once I did that, I knew I liked the ship. So much so that I went ahead and bought the Molotov at T6 which, despite ugly T8 up-tiering, I love to play also.

Respects,

Am

Tks

[OPEC]
Members
945 posts
5,108 battles

Good range, decent mobility, and great guns for HE spamming are hallmarks of the mid-tier Russian CL's.  I got the Budy in the holiday missions last year, so I skipped the Kirov.  Got the Molotov in a Santa Crate this year and I absolutely love it!  It is fragile, but the guns are awesome for its tier and it gets a spotter plane to extend range.  Not relaxing (I stay on the move - very little island hugging), but very fun!

[WOLF5]
Members
276 posts
5,205 battles

I like it, I only play co-op and even against bots, I play very carefully.  At the start of the battle, I almost never sail towards a cap point but sail horizontally and slowly at first until the first bot is spotted.  Once a bot is spotted, I throttle up full speed and get into a position to rain shells on it while constantly turning but moving in a general direction away from it to keep the distance open.

It can be boring because you can't get into close range and blast away while sending torps everywhere like you can with some other cruisers, but it is very different from the US and German cruiser line that it gives me a fresh aspect of playstyle.  Worth the time and effort to learn the ship.

Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
22 hours ago, Amracil said:

Respects,

Am

Kirov gets up-tiered also as a tier 5 ship however I am finding she is dang near OP against cruisers in her own tier.  Very powerful little ship and fast. Too bad I gotta fight so many tier 6-7 ships with her. She is fun to play!  I am able to hit stuff at very long range (with some luck) and they can't hit me.....fun.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
721 posts
11,933 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

Kirov gets up-tiered also as a tier 5 ship however I am finding she is dang near OP against cruisers in her own tier.  Very powerful little ship and fast. Too bad I gotta fight so many tier 6-7 ships with her. She is fun to play!  I am able to hit stuff at very long range (with some luck) and they can't hit me.....fun.

Yeah. I really like Kirov. Glad you do, too!

1,542 posts
26 battles

I love the sneakiness of the Kirov. She can hit from far away and slink into obscurity again because she's so teeny. She's a little ninja boat!

[DENY]
Members
7 posts
2,054 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 8:46 AM, WolfofWarship said:

I love the sneakiness of the Kirov. She can hit from far away and slink into obscurity again because she's so teeny. She's a little ninja boat!

Are you sure you're thinking of the same ship?  The Kirov has concealment that's more than 1 km worse than every other tier 5 cruiser, close to 2km worse than a few.  It's definitely not stealthy at all.  The only thing that helps it hide is it's long range, but that doesn't do you any good if a DD gets inside that 14.2km detection range.

Members
65 posts
2,055 battles

I liked the guns and she has ok maneuverability. Apart from the lack of armor, which is an issue most light cruiser deal with, the 14km spotting was the worst part of the ship. You basically have to operate most matches as if you are spotted for the entire game if you are in open water. Its difficult to stop firing and go dark like you can in IJN cruisers. In smaller maps it can be hard to stay 14km+ away from everyone.  I had a 10 point captain in the Kirov but spent my 4 point skill on IFHE so no CE for me. Moved on to the Budyonny which has slightly better concealment but really wanting CE for my captain.

Members
27 posts
1,093 battles

I thought I was the only one who likes the Kirov.  She falls apart and sinks if you sneeze on her but the guns load quickly, they hit fairly hard and she has some moves.  I like to play longer distances, picking and choosing targets and skipping from island to island for cover.  If I'm out in the open, it's all WASD hax and constant kiting if I can lure other cruisers to chase me.  

It gets tough when you make a mistake and get caught broadside because you watch your HP pool go from 100% down to 20% in a hurry and then you get finished off.  Let other ships get in between you and your targets or let a friendly BB tank some rounds while you help burn down everything in sight.

[SOB]
Members
44 posts
3,070 battles

Thank you to all for your input.    Just bought one. Looks like Long range and Run is the way to go.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles

Probably the ship in WOWS I hate the most. And that is saying a lot as there is Myogi, Kawachi, Aoba, Queen Elizabeth, etc... out there. Hate is not strong enough, despise is close but not close enough, and loathe is probably about it when describing how I feel about Kirov. Man is it bad. The guns are fine but if you sneeze while playing it blows up and BB's are more maneuverable. I find nothing enjoyable or redeeming about it.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles
On 3/2/2018 at 3:10 PM, dmckay said:

She's soft and not nimble.  If you make mistakes with her, you will be notified, post haste.  If you can avoid the mistakes though, she's the most powerful t5 cruiser, hands down.  She WILL serve notice to other players who make mistakes as well.  High risk, high reward.  Most players simply do not have the skills to mitigate her weaknesses.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,329 battles

I like Kirov, frustrating at times, yes.  

Yesterday, i citadel'd a Fuso from 15km with Kirov.  I mean, i know the guns are strong, but i had no idea i could do THAT with them.  Was this some freak armor physics interaction or is it repeatable enough to take advantage of ?