Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Turn off new water effect?

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles

I like the concept of the new water effects - but two comments.

1. Its overly exaggerated, especially at lower speeds and in calm water.  It needs to be toned down a bit and adjustable for water conditions IMO.

2. Regardless of #1 - the performance i am getting isn't good.  I have a 6-core i7-5820k and Titan video card and running max (which i should be able to do without issues) is giving me very poor performance.  Oddly, my FPS numbers read similar as before but there is noticeable graphic reduction in the game-play.

Can we turn off the extra wave action for now?  I dont see where this is in the system options.

Members
18,241 posts
5,214 battles

Just curious, are you noticing the choppiness gets worse the longer you play?

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

My 1-3 second screen pauses come and go if that's what you are talking about. They seem to happen most in and out of zoom. Never had this before update. Unsure if water has anything to do with it. 

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

Have you played yet today?  Apparently some people were experiencing "choppiness" which has disappeared after an apparent micro update today.

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Yep - until i turn down the graphics then it gets better some.

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

How much memory do you have? Things got smoother for me when I got to 11GB installed.

16 GB

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

How much memory do you have? Things got smoother for me when I got to 11GB installed.

Warships is a 32 bit program. It cannot address 11GB of ram.

This is a game made and optimized for potato computers.

• Cool 1

Members
18,241 posts
5,214 battles
2 hours ago, GiN_nTonic said:

Yep - until i turn down the graphics then it gets better some.

Forgot to ask, any issue with load times? I was loading in at the match start, or a few seconds later, when it's usually 30 seconds before.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles
4 hours ago, Grizley said:

Doesn't matter if it can access all 11GB directly. What's important is that he or she has enough RAM that nothing else wants the same piece of it that WoWS wants. Once you get up to 16+ GB, you run into far fewer slow-downs due to multitasking forcing swap file usage.

2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Forgot to ask, any issue with load times? I was loading in at the match start, or a few seconds later, when it's usually 30 seconds before.

I'm loading in 30+ seconds before the match, still. That said, once I click START BATTLE (or if I just wait and it goes on its own) it takes an abnormally long time for it to become responsive again, and Precision reports that I'm dropping down to 2 FPS for a pretty good period of time.

[LOU1]
Members
3,043 posts
8,128 battles
17 hours ago, Grizley said:

The extra ram allows room for other running processes that can address the additional ram.  They no longer compete for the limited real estate and, more importantly, there is less disk swapping.  Overall, the increased memory reduced the load on several subsystems and increased overall performance enough to make a difference.  I only know that WOWS game performance became smoother and I was able to run at the highest graphics resolution.

When I first installed my 750Ti, things improved, but I still had to run at lower resolution.  Bumping up the memory alleviated the issues.  Oddly, regardless of what we know of WOWS, that helped.  I took that path based on a few decades of electronics, computer, programming, and IT teaching/work and I had also found a good deal on memory.  I mainly grabbed the memory in preparation for updating the machine, but now I am able to wait a bit longer.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
21 hours ago, AspiringCodger said:

Have you played yet today?  Apparently some people were experiencing "choppiness" which has disappeared after an apparent micro update today.

I had significant stuttering on Thursday when I played. Did not play on Friday. Today there were no issues. Played nine straight this morning, and no stuttering at all.

Sign in to follow this