Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
StrixKitty

M.2 SSD slot to x16 PCIe: Worth it?

7 comments in this topic

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,801 posts
2,987 battles

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building an ultracompact rig involving a Mini-STX motherboard (another SFF board, 170x170mm) but it does not have a PCIe x16 slot and thus I would have to rely on integrated graphics, something like Intel HD 630 or the new Ryzen 5 Vega GPU. However, I've found an adapter for M.2 to PCIe x16 and wonder, like PCIe x1 or x4 adapters, will it be able to give the MAX performance of something like a GTX 1050 2GB? 

If anyone could give a simple yes or no, it would be appreciated, and an in-depth explanation would be appreciated as well.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,398 posts
7,363 battles

While yes M.2 is much faster, real world you - the average gamer will see nill improvements, instead of buying an adapter and expensive M.2 drive, buy a Samsung Pro Evo drive in high capacity and save yourself some money. 

99% sure you're not running Skylake-X, if you have even 1 M.2 drive on anything except Skylake-X, you are severely limited in storage expansion, I have found out that I cannot run more than two more HDDs in the system I wanted to build that had one M.2 drive. The M.2 drive simply being there steals the PCIE lanes, someone like me which would've loved to run the 8700k cannot as I simply have too many HDDs so I would need to buy the overpriced Skylake-X.

Get this, the overpriced system I was price-checking would've been 10G, crazy right? Can't even run 3 HDDs with a M.2 drive.

Now if you enjoy being limited and spending more money, feel free but make sure you have a heatsink for the drive as those little drives like overheating.

Also the drive will not "boost" the GPU at all, save the extra money you would get by not getting the M.2 and buy yourself a better GPU.

A little rambling but it gets the job done lol

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,801 posts
2,987 battles
8 minutes ago, Kousatsu said:

While yes M.2 is much faster, real world you - the average gamer will see nill improvements, instead of buying an adapter and expensive M.2 drive, buy a Samsung Pro Evo drive in high capacity and save yourself some money. 

99% sure you're not running Skylake-X, if you have even 1 M.2 drive on anything except Skylake-X, you are severely limited in storage expansion, I have found out that I cannot run more than two more HDDs in the system I wanted to build that had one M.2 drive. The M.2 drive simply being there steals the PCIE lanes, someone like me which would've loved to run the 8700k cannot as I simply have too many HDDs so I would need to buy the overpriced Skylake-X.

Get this, the overpriced system I was price-checking would've been 10G, crazy right? Can't even run 3 HDDs with a M.2 drive.

Now if you enjoy being limited and spending more money, feel free but make sure you have a heatsink for the drive as those little drives like overheating.

Also the drive will not "boost" the GPU at all, save the extra money you would get by not getting the M.2 and buy yourself a better GPU.

A little rambling but it gets the job done lol

Erm, I think you misunderstand. I want to put a GPU through the M.2 using an adapter...

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,398 posts
7,363 battles
1 hour ago, StrixKitty said:

Erm, I think you misunderstand. I want to put a GPU through the M.2 using an adapter...

You will get no extra performance, just use regular drives & stuff. If you want to know if it works you have proof but try LTT forums.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,430 posts
2,396 battles

Do you really want better video?  It's certainly not needed for WoWS.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,801 posts
2,987 battles
2 hours ago, Kousatsu said:

You will get no extra performance, just use regular drives & stuff. If you want to know if it works you have proof but try LTT forums.

I certainly won't gain any by attaching. a GPU through M.2 but I won't lose much either. 

50 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Do you really want better video?  It's certainly not needed for WoWS.

I could literally run WoWS, 1080p and lowest settings, on a HD 630 i3-7100 at 45-60 FPS. However, I've been spoiled since 2015 (been playing WoT since Dec 2012, first decent GPU in 2015: R7 260X) with higher graphics settings and I think I'll stay that way.

Sign in to follow this