Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Queso

Lots of Newbie Questions

11 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
53 battles

Greetings y'all.  Years ago, I played tanks and I'm wondering if some of my difficulties lies with lessons learned (or not learned) playing medium tanks (I got up to Tier 8 mediums). 

General question:  I found that the sweet spot for me as far as gameplay and fun was tier V.  This featured the classic medium tanks of the war (Shermans, T-34's, Pz IV's, with a sprinkling of Tigers and Panthers) with reasonably experienced players that made the game fun and challenging.  Is this the case with 'ships?  I'm not nearly as knowledgeable with naval history as I am with the ground side...

Specific questions: 

I started with the American line and I'm really enjoying the American T3 cruiser and the T2 destroyer.  I get the T3 US destroyer and I start to suck.  Terrible at it.  I die early every game and even have a put a torpedo into the side of a friendly last night (if you're reading this, I'm sorry - I reviewed what I did wrong and will not launch on that angle again).  As I understand it, destroyers have three basic missions:  find the other big ships, screen our friendlies from opposing destroyers, and try to sneak in a torpedo attack on opposing heavies. 

When I mix it up with opposing destroyers, I die.  When I try to be sneaky, I die.  When I scout, I end up entangled with the other destroyers and die.

1.  Is this a function of the tier I'm in?  When I got out of T2, did the opposing player skill ramp up? I seem to do okay with my T3 US cruiser, however.

2.  Is my ship (T3 US destroyer) not suited for one of these missions?

3.  Which nationality is the best for cruisers?  I read something on the forums that implied that the US cruiser line was not the best.

4.  Maybe I just suck at ships?

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,539 battles

Well I have found that The Sweet Spot for me is T4 matches and t7 matches

Being a destroyer early in your career is a hard lesson to learn when I chose to become a destroyer Commander I played a lot of Clemson battles to learn it's a good ship at its level and you get it learn your basic Destroyer mechanics which will apply for the rest of your gaming career you really get to know how to do close in fighting which is a must to go further in the Destroyers then just being a spotter slash flanker

And besides the videos out there that teach you destroyer  mechanics I found my best lessons were looking at How I died in a game and trying not to do those stupid moves that killed me again and when I died I would jump on some other team player ship and watch them play instead of escaping right out of the battle and learned a lot of tricks that way

I wish you good luck out there you'll get it figured out hopefully faster than I did

Edited by silverdahc

Members
182 posts
728 battles

As I understand it, destroyers have three basic missions:  find the other big ships, screen our friendlies from opposing destroyers, and try to sneak in a torpedo attack on opposing heavies. 

No.

Your job is to get in the cap with a easy escape route if needed ,take the cap and if contested destroy the enemy in your cap with guns and torps.

To play dd you need bravery and luck with a hint of skill.

Death in a dd is often you have to take risks.

Life in a dd means if spotted you will get focused fired on.

You as a dd you are the tip of the sword and have to be brave.

[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,530 battles

As a long time cruiser player who recently decided to learn destroyers, I can sympathize with your struggle.  There are five different destroyer lines (plus the odd premiums) and they all play differently by nation and often change dramatically by tier.  You just have to experiment with them all and find the ones that suit you.  

As far as the US line, the Wickes at T3 is not very good at anything but the T4 Clemson is an excellent gunboat.  The only consolation is that the German T3, G-101 is even worse than the Wickes.  I found the IJN T3 Wakatake to be a fun torpedo boat, just don't rely on its guns for any serious work.  

The biggest challenge waiting for you might be T5, because you will routinely see T7 opponents and there is a big difference between T5 and T7 destroyers.  My advice is to try everything and grit your teeth and be patient as you work you way up the tiers.  Find your style of play and ships that go with it.  Watching Twitch streams or YouTube vids helps a lot as well.  

Good luck to you.  

Edit:  To answer your third question, I don't think there is a single best cruiser line.  All of the lines have some keepers and some duds.  I have found the French line to be pretty good for most ships and I like the IJN line as well.  I honestly stopped at the Cleveland with the US line because I was so unimpressed with the Pensacola, but not everyone will agree with me.  The short answer is the same as for DDs, experiment with them all, watch some vids for more information and pick the ones that you like.    

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Queso said:

As I understand it, destroyers have three basic missions:  find the other big ships, screen our friendlies from opposing destroyers, and try to sneak in a torpedo attack on opposing heavies. 

Each ship has its own missions that suit it, this is not a rule. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,241 posts
17,239 battles

It’s the same here as it was in tanks; play more and absorb the lessons learned. Watch vids to learn more lessons.

Main difference is in ships is that you won’t tend to experience instadeath quite as much as happens in tanks.

Destroyers especially; learn to keep an eye on the minimap; don’t shoot at anything that moves; try not to attack unless you have support and the other player doesn’t, and learn to use terrain/smoke/other ships to get close enough to make torpedo attacks.

Also, be willing to run away. A destroyer alive endgame can be the difference between a win and a loss.

• Cool 1

360 posts
194 battles

Something you will notice as you look at the majority of the Destroyers at Tier 5 and below is that they will have detection ranges that are larger than their torpedo range. For the Russian/Soviet line, this is pretty much all the way up, but that's their thing. Japan will start to get longer range torpedoes earliest, with the US and Germany coming in around Tier 5-6 when you can fire them without being spotted. The trade off is that the US and Germans have better guns then the Japanese. If you want to be an anti-DD Destroyer, US or Germany is the way to go.

[TCNNA]
Members
107 posts
4,013 battles
On 3/2/2018 at 10:32 AM, francesabyss said:

No.

Your job is to get in the cap with a easy escape route if needed ,take the cap and if contested destroy the enemy in your cap with guns and torps.

To play dd you need bravery and luck with a hint of skill.

Death in a dd is often you have to take risks.

Life in a dd means if spotted you will get focused fired on.

You as a dd you are the tip of the sword and have to be brave.

One of my favorite things to do as a destroyer captain is open up with my guns, get focused, dodge the enemy's shells, fall back, and repeat. Its a good way to distract the enemy if you do it well.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
On 3/2/2018 at 9:11 AM, Admiral_Queso said:

Specific questions: 

I started with the American line and I'm really enjoying the American T3 cruiser and the T2 destroyer.  I get the T3 US destroyer and I start to suck.  Terrible at it.  I die early every game and even have a put a torpedo into the side of a friendly last night (if you're reading this, I'm sorry - I reviewed what I did wrong and will not launch on that angle again).  As I understand it, destroyers have three basic missions:  find the other big ships, screen our friendlies from opposing destroyers, and try to sneak in a torpedo attack on opposing heavies. 

When I mix it up with opposing destroyers, I die.  When I try to be sneaky, I die.  When I scout, I end up entangled with the other destroyers and die.

1.  Is this a function of the tier I'm in?  When I got out of T2, did the opposing player skill ramp up? I seem to do okay with my T3 US cruiser, however.

3.  Which nationality is the best for cruisers?  I read something on the forums that implied that the US cruiser line was not the best.

1. To a point, the higher the tier, the better the players, and the more more firepower will get shot your way. Also, in general, destroyers get faster by tier, and you can get yourself deeper in trouble quicker, and will be even less likely to be able to get yourself out of it. Controlled Aggression is the name of the game, I've got a few clan mates that have one half of that down pat, care to guess which half?

2. Area denial, Scouting, Spotting, Capping, hunting other DD's, stealth torping, smoking for the team, ambushing people, ect... are all destroyer jobs, each has it's time and place and DD's that are best at each. Number one thing is learn the spotting mechanics, and the spotting ranges of the stealthy ship's you could face. Basically memorize  everything that's as sneaky or sneakier that you are.

3. There is no best line of anything (except maybe IJN CV's), every line has it's keepers, and garbage boats. US Navy cruisers are good at AA (for when it matters) and have excellent guns. Everything else about them is meh to average and they are mostly torpedo-less. Royal Navy cruisers can be very destroyer like, same with IJN cruisers. Best to play around, do your research and see what clicks with you.

4. You're safe, If you sucked, you wouldn't be asking questions.

[PROJX]
Members
968 posts
15,696 battles
On 3/2/2018 at 6:11 AM, Admiral_Queso said:

Greetings y'all.  Years ago, I played tanks and I'm wondering if some of my difficulties lies with lessons learned (or not learned) playing medium tanks (I got up to Tier 8 mediums). 

General question:  I found that the sweet spot for me as far as gameplay and fun was tier V.  This featured the classic medium tanks of the war (Shermans, T-34's, Pz IV's, with a sprinkling of Tigers and Panthers) with reasonably experienced players that made the game fun and challenging.  Is this the case with 'ships?  I'm not nearly as knowledgeable with naval history as I am with the ground side...

Specific questions: 

Hey Admiral_Queso!  Welcome to WOWS!  - Firstly - nope - you don't suck at ships -

To answer your question re: whether you're having an issue w/ the Tier of ship/Nation LIne - here is a link that summarizes what you'll encounter at each Tier and some of the skills you'll need to develop to do well in WOWS and have more fun:

WOWS Enjoyment - Skills to Learn as you Start the Game & Move thru the Tiers

WOWS has a phased introduction of ship/game capabilities that you get exposed to as you play different ship types, from different nations, as you progress up thru the tiers.  This is a short summary (as the response to a new player questions) of the type of skills that will help you become a better player as you encounter them as you move up thru the tiers.  This is why it's not often recommended to hop into a T8 Premium, if you haven't yet been playing at T8 in the Tech Tree (i.e. the reason the Tirpitz got it's unflattering nickname).

As you move up thru the tiers, you'll find the nation lines and ships all have different characteristics and to play them well, you'll have to develop your skills in different areas to make use of the strengths of the ships and mask their weaknesses.  The following is a quick summary of the different characteristics (in general) for the national lines and some general summaries as well:

Destroyers

• USN - Low tiers are mainly gunboats w/ short range torpedoes that are mainly used in YOLO or ambush tactics.   Higher tiers have very good fast firing guns w/ rapid turning turrets.  Shell arcs are floaty tho so hitting targets (particularly other DDs) from range is difficult.
  • IJN - Stealthy Torpedo boats - at higher tiers Torpedo detection ranges are fairly large so wary enemys can dodge IJN torps easier, but they are very hard hitting if they connect.  Guns have slowest reload of all DD classes and the same is true of turret traverse which is more like a Cruiser than a DD.
  • Russian - Primarily gunboats w/ very short range torps thru most tiers.   Flat gun arcs and slightly larger gun caliber make these DDs gunfighters from range.  You need to be able to maneuver and dodge shots w/ these DDs.  These boats are generally the "least stealthy" DDs in general due to size and your concealment will get you spotted before most other DDs.
  • German - Primarily a torpedo boat w/ decent guns.  T6 & T8 have a unique larger gun caliber option that makes these DDs a threat to broadsiding Cruisers.   Torps have lower damage than other nations but fairly fast reload; making use of flooding to gain Damage over Time  tactics essential to get the most out of these DDs.   From mid-tiers up - have Hydro making these DDs deadly to other nation DDs in cap contest situations.
  • Pan Asian - Very good gunboats w/ high damage, lowest detectability Deep Water Torpedoes.   Downside is you can't torp a DD, but everything else won't be able to see your torps until it's too late to do much maneuvering to avoid them.   Smoke mechanic is unique - when coupled w/ the Premium smoke option, you can chain up to 6 smokes w/ a 10 sec or less interval between smoke charges.   Higher Tiers play very similar to the USN T8-10 w/ the addition of the previously mentioned distinguishing features.

Cruisers

Cruisers are relatively thinly "armored" so to enjoy playing cruisers as you move up thru the tiers, you'll need to learn to angle and not expose your side, maneuver actively to avoid/dodge shots and use suitable cover when available to survive.  If you can develop these skills, cruisers are very fun to play and nothing is more satisfying than sinking BBs in your cruiser.

• USN - low Tiers are Light Cruisers and torps in the T4/T5 (short ranged).  Higher tiers are CAs (Heavy Cruisers w/ 203mm guns) - soon to be a split CA & CL line starting from T6.  Strong AA and heavy hard hitting AP shells are the characteristics of USN cruisers.  Radar is a feature on US Cruisers from the T8 New Orleans and they have the longest radar duration of this mechanic for cruisers.   Shell arcs are high so hitting targets from range is more difficult.
  • IJN - A very good combination of a Fire spamming ship w/ good torpedo characteristics.   IJN cruiser torps typically have ranges up to 10 km giving them some DD characteristics w/ area denial as well as torping DD smoke.   Fire characterisitcs of shells are good  & you receive the 8" caliber cruiser guns earliest in Tier progression (at T5 w the Furutaka).  Torpedo arcs are towards the rear on most ships tho so you have to "show your hind quarters" as a typical IJN Cruiser torpedo move.   Turret traverse, like the DD line is slow, however and if you maneuver heavily, you may find yourself turning the ship to help bring guns to bear.
  • Russian - Thinly armored, fast but somewhat less maneuverable, but extremely fun Fire Spamming ships.   With higher tier captains, Russian cruisers are what the IFHE+Demo Expert combo was intended for.  Torpedoes are generally fairly short ranged and mainly defensive in nature.  The flat gun arcs make these ships deadly to DDs and able to fight from longer ranges and stil hit your targets.  Higher tiers have Radar from the T8 - Russian radar is generally slighly longer ranged than USN radar but shorter in duration it is active.
  • German - Probably the "Tankiest" cruisers of all the lines - angled properly, the german cruisers can deflect quite a bit of damage.  AP shells are good from short-med ranges, but are "light" (unlike the USN AP) leading to less effectiveness from long range in terms of penetration.   HE shells are least effective of all cruiser branches, but still very useful for fire starting.   German Cruisers have decent mid-range (usually 6 km torps) that are more usable that you would think since you're more likely to bring a German cruiser in closer and get away with it.  German cruisers, when configured can have strong AA or when configured w/ Hydro, make excellent DD hunters in smoke.
  • French - Very fast ships (along w/ speed boost and a special speed boost module, if you have it).   They have good torpedo systems w/ a 9 km range and are very good as a Fire spamming Cruiser role.  Their armor profile is "layered" so it can be somewhat trollish and hard to penetrate given the right angling and shot impact circumstances.
  • UK - Very fragile ships that can easily be citadeled and even deleted...BUT...very fun light cruisers which employ smoke and hydro capability to mask firing positions.   These ships are not a starter line, but very rewarding as you gain more experience in cruiser play.  ROF and DPM potential is very good for a Cruiser culminating in the Minotaur at T10 (any Mission or Campaign requiring getting "ribbons" is tailor made for a UK Cruiser).  UK Cruisers at high tiers are also very good AA ships (e.g. Minotaur)

In general, it's going to be a matter of personal preference - a matter of matching your playstyle of skillsets to the ship lines. I've actually played all the ships in these lines and you can have a lot of fun in all (well most) of them as long as you can match the play characteristics to the strengths of the ship.

If you do find yourself at a point where you're wondering if it's the ship...you may want to take a look at the following link:

WOWS Enjoyment - Happinness...the Hope of Rewards...and the Meaning of "Git Gud"

This is a self-assessment article meant to match up those unhappy w/ their results in WOWS w/ articles and vids which, hopefully can raise the bar on any parts of your game which you'd like to see improvement on to help you achieve your WOWS goals.

If there's a particular frustration you're feeling that's identified in the link - there are pointers to articles and videos that may help you get over the "hump" with a particular ship line or skill area. The links are a part of a larger library below:

WOWS Enjoyment - List of Game Improvement/Mechanics Articles and Guides

Good Luck!  Have fun & hope to see you out there!  o7

Sign in to follow this