You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mothkiller

Public Service Announcement to fellow BB mains

58 comments in this topic

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles

So let me tell you a short story.  Recent game, I am in my Montana.  It's an average game, I have I no kills yet but some decent damage and am down about 2/3 to 1/2 health at the time (still have 3 or 4 heals).  Suddenly a new full strength Yamato appears, we are around 15k from each other when this engagement starts.  I fire a decent salvo in him, do about 10k. He fires back, HE.  Some fires and maybe 12k HE damage.  Ok, I think, he had AP loaded and is looking to clear the guns quick.  My next salvo is better, but no citidels, maybe 18k as he is opened up a bit more.  He fires HE again, and at this time we are close to 10k from each other.  The slavo does even less damage and my heal kicks in so I pop it.  I am quite pleased at this development but keep a decent angle, maybe he just forgot to switch in the heat of the battle.  My next salve is brutal, 2 citidels almost 30k.  Again he fires HE again.  Now I start laughing.  My last salvo I fire some more AP into his citidel and finish him off.  After the fires are done and my heal is off, I have between 1/3 and 1/2 health.  Amazing.

After the battle I look at the stats and see that I did about 101k damage to him (with secondaries and doing some on top of the AP) while he did a little over 30k total.  Had he just fired AP into my bow I would have been a lot worse off, and if I survived would likely not have been able to CQE 2 DD and kill an Ibuki soon after, surviving on under 1k health.

BB mains, fire AP.  You can switch to HE for DDs and bowtanking BB (unless you can overmatch the bow, which ships you can do this to), but in the end AP is a better choice.  THis actually is a good idea for RN BBs as well, you will do a LOT more damage if you do. 

Thank you!

PS: I actually keep AP most of the time when brawling bow tanking BBs because I don't want to lose the chance if I get a sudden broadside or good agle, and just aim my AP into the superstructure, that can do decent damage, and I let my secondaries start the fires.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
9,066 posts

Shh don't give away all those secrets. I want to see the enemy Yamatos slinging HE.

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles

Literally the only BB in the game that doesn't care about what armor you have, and he decides to sling HE.  :cap_book:

[BIAS]
Members
3,163 posts
9,306 battles

People are supposed to fire HE at Destroyers in their Battleships?? Since when?? AP is king on DD's right now.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles

It's true that AP does similar damage (and more if you get a pen) to a DD, I like the extra module damage and fires.  Though if I have AP loaded or think I might want AP quickly due to possible broadsides to punish I stick with AP.

24 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

People are supposed to fire HE at Destroyers in their Battleships?? Since when?? AP is king on DD's right now.

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
36 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Shh don't give away all those secrets. I want to see the enemy Yamatos slinging HE.

Me too, but I sure as hell don't want to see them on my team!

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I was in my Atlanta yesterday at about half health when a nearly full health Bismarck came around an island at about 7km.  He didn't turn to get his guns on me quicker or bother switching his manual secondaries to me.  He just let his secondaries continue to fire at a target further away that wasn't even shooting at him while allowing his guns to turn a full 180 on their own.  I ended up whittling him down to about 10-15k health before his guns finally turned around so he could fire his HE at me.  He mostly missed.  He then FINALLY switched his secondaries to me a few seconds before my torps landed to finish him off.  That's right lol...  I killed a full health Bismarck at short range with a half health Atlanta with the vast majority of the damage coming from my guns and fire.  I couldn't stop laughing.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
6 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

I was in my Atlanta yesterday at about half health when a nearly full health Bismarck came around an island at about 7km.  He didn't turn to get his guns on me quicker or bother switching his manual secondaries to me.  He just let his secondaries continue to fire at a target further away that wasn't even shooting at him while allowing his guns to turn a full 180 on their own.  I ended up whittling him down to about 10-15k health before his guns finally turned around so he could fire his HE at me.  He mostly missed.  He then FINALLY switched his secondaries to me a few seconds before my torps landed to finish him off.  That's right lol...  I killed a full health Bismarck at short range with a half health Atlanta with the vast majority of the damage coming from my guns and fire.  I couldn't stop laughing.

Nice, thought with the number of over-pens I get against Atlantas, I MIGHT switch to HE.  Either I get massive citadels or over-pens, which can be very frustrating.

Edited by mothkiller

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 minute ago, mothkiller said:

Nice, thought with the number of over-pens I get against Atlantas, I MIGHT switch to HE.  Either I get massive citadels or over-pens, which can be very frustrating.

Pretty sure HE Citadels are possible against Atlanta. And while 45-55% less powerful than AP Citadel, at least you wouldn't be overpenning. There's also the "Rule of 3" and the "rule of 2" that I like to call them. 

Rule of 2 :: 2x HE Citadels = 1 AP Citadel 

Rule of 3 :: 3x Penetrations = 1 Citadel 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,020 posts
9,113 battles
59 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Literally the only BB in the game that doesn't care about what armor you have, and he decides to sling HE.  :cap_book:

Probably had s friend playing on his account who didn’t know what they were doing.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
9 minutes ago, mothkiller said:

I mostly just told it because it was ridiculous that he lost that fight, but the Atlanta definitely is one of the many trollish cruisers in the game where you can have multiple overpens and bounces in the same salvo.  If I were the Bismarck though, I would have immediately switched my secondaries to the Atlanta, turned in, popped hydro and loaded AP (for my next salvo if HE was loaded, of course).  The secondaries do decent damage and are good enough at starting fires that I wouldn't hesitate to take my chances with AP.

On a side note, the Bismarck finally got me my first 200k damage game a couple of days ago :Smile_Default:.  Too bad it was a loss lol.

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
Just now, AspiringCodger said:

I mostly just told it because it was ridiculous that he lost that fight, but the Atlanta definitely is one of the many trollish cruisers in the game where you can have multiple overpens and bounces in the same salvo.  If I were the Bismarck though, I would have immediately switched my secondaries to the Atlanta, turned in, popped hydro and loaded AP (for my next salvo if HE was loaded, of course).  The secondaries do decent damage and are good enough at starting fires that I wouldn't hesitate to take my chances with AP.

On a side note, the Bismarck finally got me my first 200k damage game a couple of days ago :Smile_Default:.  Too bad it was a loss lol.

Yeah, you should have been dead, and Bis manual secondaries would have torn you apart.  Then it would not matter if he had fired HE or AP.

[RLGN]
Members
8,310 posts
17,372 battles
1 hour ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Yep. All those lolfail overpens when shooting Yammy/Mushi’s AP sure are fun.

Must be nice being a player who apparently doesn’t get screwed over pretty much every time they fire those supposedly lolpen guns...

[BIAS]
Members
3,163 posts
9,306 battles
39 minutes ago, mothkiller said:

It's true that AP does similar damage (and more if you get a pen) to a DD, I like the extra module damage and fires.  Though if I have AP loaded or think I might want AP quickly due to possible broadsides to punish I stick with AP.

Wait till they start angling and hammer them for 1 or 2 pens. I'd rather get more damage on a dd and get them killed rather than break modules. Only in the low tiers do I typically think about firing HE at dd's. If I think a dd is going to be in a spot where he can rush me and will be broadside, then I'll use HE.

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
41 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

and ya'll say the Bots are the stupid ones...

• Cool 1

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Must be nice being a player who apparently doesn’t get screwed over pretty much every time they fire those supposedly lolpen guns...

But at 10km shooting against an angled Montana, he would NOT get many over-pens, sometimes even citideling me through the bow.  In my experience in the Monty is that Yammys hammer me when I try and angle and they are angled I usually only win by getting close enough to citadel that octagon face with all 12 guns, or going full speed to get there side and hope I can survived to punish them there.  This was literally the easies Yammy fight I EVER had.  I mean he did 30k vs my 101k

[RLGN]
Members
8,310 posts
17,372 battles
7 minutes ago, mothkiller said:

In my experience in the Monty is that Yammys hammer me when I try and angle and they are angled...

...and therein lies the key; my experience has been that firing AP at angled targets is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

My penultimate example, and why I will likely never play Mushi in Randoms again; was watching an 18” shell ricochet off a Chapayev.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
27 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

...and therein lies the key; my experience has been that firing AP at angled targets is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

My penultimate example, and why I will likely never play Mushi in Randoms again; was watching an 18” shell ricochet off a Chapayev.

I had a Yamato shell bounce off a broadside Khab two nights ago...

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
43 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Where are you aiming?  You can overmatch the bow of almost any ship.  I am sure that statistically you experience is not the norm

[OBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
173 posts
7,727 battles

What if some of us are too lazy to press 2 to switch to AP or just like to watch the world burn?  ;)

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
5 minutes ago, DeathSniper said:

What if some of us are too lazy to press 2 to switch to AP or just like to watch the world burn?  ;)

That's what your secondaries are for!

If you want to lose BB brawls all the time, feel free though.  I will not complain when I win a brawl I should by rights lost.

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Are you actually complaining about having guns that can overmatch any bow armor in the game?

Damn, some people are never happy...

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

LOL, your atleast bouncing off Angled ships.  Ive had my KGV bounce like 8 straight salvos from 12km and closer off broadside Cleveland and another KGV.  Ive also had my Alabama straight bounce off assorted broadside US and German cruisers.  That, or roll the illustrious 1310...all from ranges from 16km to 3km.

This game is very annoying like that.  Its why I dont play much.  People claim BB guns are so powerful, if so, then what the hell are they doing bounce off 15mm of armor?  Not even angled....dear god.... 

• Funny 1

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,487 battles
2 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

LOL, your atleast bouncing off Angled ships.  Ive had my KGV bounce like 8 straight salvos from 12km and closer off broadside Cleveland and another KGV.  Ive also had my Alabama straight bounce off assorted broadside US and German cruisers.  That, or roll the illustrious 1310...all from ranges from 16km to 3km.

This game is very annoying like that.  Its why I dont play much.  People claim BB guns are so powerful, if so, then what the hell are they doing bounce off 15mm of armor?  Not even angled....dear god.... 

You must have hit the deck instead of the side on that Cleveland, at that close a range the deck can be an auto-bounce.  But still, where are people aiming?  This has not been my experience.  I sometimes get an unlucky bounce on a lightly armored ship on my BBs, especially BBs with inaccurate guns, but I still usually get enough in as pens and overpens to make it worth while.

Angled ships, well if I need to, aim at the superstructure, you can do decent damage there. 

I guess it's figuring out the best place to aim for each situation.  Sometimes angled cruisers can auto-bounce off the nose (high tier cruisers vs. 15" guns of the Bis and Tirp) and any BB T8+ can auto-bounce bow in against everyone but the Yamato/Musashi.  But if you can get pens, you will statistically over time if your aim well enough.  This is not even a "get gud", I am pretty average and that has been my BB experience.

[RLGN]
Members
8,310 posts
17,372 battles
8 minutes ago, mothkiller said:

Where are you aiming?  You can overmatch the bow of almost any ship.  I am sure that statistically you experience is not the norm

High, low, it hasn’t mattered one whit where I’ve aimed; bouncity-bouncity-bounce-bounce.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, bow pens are a fantasy...

...unless of course someone is shooting AT me. Then they apparently come easily.

1 minute ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Are you actually complaining about having guns that can overmatch any bow armor in the game?

Damn, some people are never happy...

When they effectively don’t do anything? Yes.

Explain to me exactly why I should be happy about overpens for pathetic damage and ricochets?