You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

French premium BB thoughts

27 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,586 battles

I"m looking to buy another premium ship and I'm wondering what people here think about the Dunkerque at tier VI and the Gascogne at tier VIII? Dunk is a lot less expensive but is it a good premium ship? TIA

[WOLF6]
Members
673 posts
3,812 battles

LWM has reviews of both dunkerque and gascogne.  I think the reviews say the tier 6 dunkerque is the better trainer.

Edited by wtfovr
Added link to review thread

Members
100 posts
348 battles

Kinda sucks the Gascogne seems lackluster, was considering picking it up. 

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
8,063 battles
7 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

Kinda sucks the Gascogne seems lackluster, was considering picking it up. 

Your playstyle might fit with the ship better than the reviewer's did.  

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,382 battles

I'm looking at it also. Think I'm going to wait a while and read some reports on it before I pull the trigger.

[PVE]
Members
5,593 posts
18,169 battles
16 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

I'm looking at it also. Think I'm going to wait a while and read some reports on it before I pull the trigger.

Probably the smart thing to do. Sometimes a player just "clicks" with a ship and does well in it where others just don't. I have to admit LWM's reviews are IMHO, the best source of unbiased, honest, and practical information available. Heck it is almost scientific research! She does brilliant work, we are lucky to have her around.

I think the Dunkerque is generally considered a decent ship, have heard very few poor remarks about her other than the normal "is marginal when uptiered" but that is common with almost all ships in the game. Haven't heard a peep about the Gascogne yet from players so waiting seems prudent.

• Cool 1

Members
242 posts
638 battles
57 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I"m looking to buy another premium ship and I'm wondering what people here think about the Dunkerque at tier VI and the Gascogne at tier VIII? Dunk is a lot less expensive but is it a good premium ship? TIA

I am in the same boat, but as I already have the Rich, I am thinking of getting just the Dunk because the Gascogne is basically just a Rich with one main turret moved to the stern, worse AA and slightly higher sigma it seems. So I'd probably recommend the same. There's no other ship that is very similar to Dunk but if you plan to go up the French line eventually, there won't be much difference likely for you between the Rich and Gascogne. 

tldr: I think Dunkerque

Members
25 posts
2,128 battles

I bought the Dunkerque and have fun playing her. It does take some adjustment because of the gun placements only in the front, but she can certainly do heavy damage. Great looking ship as well. 

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
8,063 battles

I picked up Gascogne this morning, first game was decent.  I do like the quick repair party a LOT.  Was routinely getting hits at 20km+, maybe 2 hits out of a broadside on average at that range.  YMMV

Small sample size, but I am not displeased.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,386 battles

I'd go Dunkek personally.  From my own experience at least, T6 MM seems to be a lot more comfortable now than it used to be. Gascogne is basically gonna be paying $50 to spend most of your time fighting T10.

Members
100 posts
348 battles
Just now, Deviathan said:

I'd go Dunkek personally.  From my own experience at least, T6 MM seems to be a lot more comfortable now than it used to be. Gascogne is basically gonna be paying $50 to spend most of your time fighting T10.

And if you like the Richairu, you WILL like the Dunk as well because they both play exactly the same, just different tiers. 

[PIZZA]
Supertester
918 posts
18,440 battles

i bought it this morning.  I like it.  Not bad aa, not great aa.   Secondaries are pretty good.  Definitely a mid range firing BB but I did hit 2 cits this morning on a North Carolina from 22 miles.  But most of the damage comes from within 18 miles.  Tanks damage pretty good.  Went up against a Tirpitz within his secondary range and took the hits with minimal damage.   All in all I like it so far.  But I dont believe it is a sniping BB....more of a mid range BB.  NOTE:  Only played 5 battles so far in it.

I'll add the gold camo I just finished the campaign for is AWESOME looking on the Gastogne.

Edited by BaronVonTom

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,144 battles
26 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

And if you like the Richairu, you WILL like the Dunk as well because they both play exactly the same, just different tiers. 

This is kind of inaccurate, as Dunk suffers sitting bow on against most other BBs it will face. In fact, it just straight up hates being shot at by 380mm+ guns period, as most of the ship is overmatchable. You definitely want to utilize proper positioning and your speed more in the Dunk than in Richie; Richie can get away with bow tanking quite well, but Dunk REALLY doesn't want to be caught stationary. The only thing they really have in common is turret positioning, playing them like each other will cause you to die extremely quickly. Really good ship against Normandie/Lyon spam at the moment, though.

Gascogne plays more like Dunkirk than Richie does honestly, since it's not a bow on sitting ship.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,365 posts
3,938 battles

I hate Dunk these days - it just doesn't do well against the 2-carrier-per-team meta you see so much of at tier 6 (crap AA + the necessity to bow-on fight [and thus plod along at slow speeds] = carrier fodder). Gascogne - thus far - has been very reliable.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,144 battles
2 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I hate Dunk these days - it just doesn't do well against the 2-carrier-per-team meta you see so much of at tier 6 (crap AA + the necessity to bow-on fight [and thus plod along at slow speeds] = carrier fodder). Gascogne - thus far - has been very reliable.

Does any tier 6 battleship do well against tier 6 carriers?

Also, don't fight bow on in the Dunk out of cover.

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
68 posts
11,440 battles

I'm a top Roma captain, and given the frustration of its unreliable firepower, I'll be passing on Cascogne, which I suspect has equal or worse performance for its cannons.  

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I only use my Dunk (Santa crate pick-up) in Operations or co-op as I don't play BBs. I've found it to have the most inaccurate guns of any ship in my port. Couple that with long reload and ugh. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Gascogne's advantages over Richy are as follows: 

Faster reload, faster repair party cooldown, better secondary layout, and higher sigma. 

In trade off, she loses the ability to be firing 8 guns at one single target all the time, AA power, and a more defensible ship.

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,104 battles
31 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I only use my Dunk (Santa crate pick-up) in Operations or co-op as I don't play BBs. I've found it to have the most inaccurate guns of any ship in my port. Couple that with long reload and ugh. 

My findings too. Even in Co-Op, the bots tend to be way more aggressive and you just can't stay bow forward against them for very long. Plus the dispersion...OMG...horrendous. You can order and eat a pizza during it's reload. I don't have buyer's remorse against any other Prem ship, except for Dumbkirk. 

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
454 posts
5,557 battles
53 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

This is my experience as well. I play BB's and the Dunk is my least favorite. The guns are horrible.

I can deal with bad guns (looking at you German BB's) as long as I have something to back them up such as good secondaries. 

[PVE]
Members
5,593 posts
18,169 battles
18 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

My findings too. Even in Co-Op, the bots tend to be way more aggressive and you just can't stay bow forward against them for very long. Plus the dispersion...OMG...horrendous. You can order and eat a pizza during it's reload. I don't have buyer's remorse against any other Prem ship, except for Dumbkirk. 

Dunkerque can be a mess in PvE play. Kinda like the Nelson IMHO. They may work well in PvP but too squishy for the in your face battle that PvE quickly becomes. To make both work, I move slowly, stay behind everyone, load and spam HE. I stay at quarter speed until I need to start maneuvering a bit more. That is when I switch to AP because the bots can be on all sides of you. I rarely get big numbers in either ship though, nothing like the other BBs in the game. I usually end up right in the middle of the pack or near the bottom depending on how good my team is. The only time I got close to the top was when I rammed a bot NC with my Dunk and sank him..... So to wrap it up, play cowardly, spam HE, and use the ship as a guided torpedo to make book...... I definitely think there are ships that just perform better in PvP play than they ever will in co-op play. 

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,022 posts

Gascogne has better protected secondaries that perform better then what the Richelieu has except in the rear facing kiting position and the advantage of lateral convergence for it's main guns. It's up to you to decide if you prefer all your rifles on the bow or not. both have their advantages.

[BSL]
Members
739 posts
14,556 battles

Weird, my Dunq has very nice dispersion.

My Reich, not so good.

Edited by BearlyHereBear

Members
2,368 posts
7,649 battles

If you want a good ship neither of them. Both are meh. If you want a fun ship, Dunk seems better. Also tier for tier Dunk is a better ship and cheaper.