You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordBerk

The Duel. What ship would you take and why?

42 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
118 posts
5,349 battles

Here's the situation:

You and your buddy -  who plays WOWS after a few drinks get into an argument over who's the better player. Money is laid down, let's say $50 on a one-time duel. Anything within game parameters is allowed (consumables, camo, whatever). It's one match, random map. Yes it's rock paper scissors, but let's also say you both have well developed T10 fleets of a variety of every type.

What would you take and why?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

This isn't exactly fair. Even a bad CV player like me could stomp anything not a CV with a T10 one set to strike. It would almost certainly come down to T10 CV battle and pretty much everyone says the Hakuryu is the best (seemed to be borne out by the recent KotS tournament).

It would be better to ask if you had to have the same ship or something like that.

Edited by w4spl3g

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

Hmmm... would I know what my opponent would pick?

If not then maybe Hindenburg for it's tankiness so I don't get deleted should my buddy pick a battleship (or so I've heard, I don't have any tier 10 yet) and super German hydro to dodge torpedoes.

Or perhaps Shimakaze to basically guarantee a win against anything other than a radar cruiser or destroyer in time... except I don't know what my Buddy would pick.

Any strike CV to be honest

Maybe Des Moines if the map is large enough for me to take advantage of my aircraft to fight a battleship.

Or...

Mutsuki :Smile_trollface:

Of course, most of my friends don't play WoWS so if I go up against one of my few friends who do play I can probably stomp them...

[-TKS-]
Members
303 posts
6,035 battles

if he takes anything but DD i would  take a minsk , w/ couple of flags and ramming speed . 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Secondary / Concealment Zao. DFA and Spotter.

Have Range, %Fire, and Torps for BBs and CACLs. 

Have rapid fire secondaries and good stealth for DDs. 

And hopefully DFA and skillz are enough to deal with CVs

[SF-A]
Members
2,901 posts
5,719 battles

If it's T7 or under, and not facing Saipan or Hiryu, definitely Nelson. Great at 1v1s. If it's T8 or above (and not a CV), Moskva or Des Moines simply because of the utility. If I'm facing a Hakuryu or Midway I'd just mirror them and hope for better strafes and bombing runs. Given that my buddy is blazed I think I could do alright.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

All ships have targets they do well vs. DM eats hindy, hindy eats moskva, moskva eats GK, Gk eats Yamato, Yamato eats Montanna, Montanna eats Minotaur, Minotaur eats planes, planes eat Conqueror. The list goes on.

If we played three rounds: one blind, one my pick(for us both), one his, it goes something like this:

Des Memes, for both the radar and the AA. Nobody in their right mind would bring a BB to this and I can still win that fight fairly often. I can also beat out any DDs, and any other cruisers. (maybe not on ocean)

North Carolina, I have never lost a battleship duel with this. And I am acutely aware of its weaknesses.

Any CV except Saipan, because I am not good at this in the slightest.

Members
4,569 posts
6,515 battles

Higher tier....Scharnhorst.....low tier....tier 3 Boogie....ya. Of course I HAVE NOT PLAYED ALL SHIPS.  Potato a lot.:Smile_sceptic:

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles

I'd pick Hindenburg, as it can engage almost every target with a decent success ratio as long as the captain knows what he's doing?

Alpha Tester
5,136 posts
2,438 battles

I'm torn between my NC and my Gneisenau.

Members
1,310 posts
21,134 battles

T7 I'd take my Fiji, or maybe Gneisenau

T8 probably the Charles Martel

T9 I'd have to respec my Missouri for AA and take that

T10 probably Moscva - radar, HE, and hellacious AA when built for it

Edited by slokill_1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles

Bring whatever. Fletcher. 

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,967 battles

Longjiang. Use superior concealment and send continuous salvos of torps. :cap_book:

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles
2 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

This isn't exactly fair. Even a bad CV player like me could stomp anything not a CV with a T10 one set to strike. It would almost certainly come down to T10 CV battle and pretty much everyone says the Hakuryu is the best (seemed to be borne out by the recent KotS tournament).

It would be better to ask if you had to have the same ship or something like that.

In a 1v1 no limits on a large map will always come down to AS Haku vs AS Haku if both sides are rational. Only if a small map is chosen does any non CV stand a chance

[CUTER]
Members
31 posts
8,594 battles

Now I am going off the assumption that you are both equally skilled players in all classes of ship.

In this case, I would take a Midway. CV in this case would be the single best class for a 1v1 duel.

A DD stands no chance against a decent cross drop.

The CV can just wait out the DFAA of cruisers and if he doesnt use DFAA then hes screwed.

A BB also stands no chance against a T10 CV

Against a CV, you can just charge the enemy CV and since Midway's AA is significantly better than Hakus, the Midway would have an easier time fighting off the Haku planes and Midway's strike power is much stronger than a AS Haku. Strike Haku will also get overrun.

This is all my opinion, and I also feel like you should not allow carriers as in a 1v1 its very hard for any other ship to do anything to the CV.

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

Depends on how much of an idiot I want to be. Campbeltown or Graf Spee though. If we're dual its going to be full dumb, but not true suffering like Cleveland vs Katori. Campbeltown because it would be funny if I landed any torps and could be even remotely stealthy. Graf Spee because its a silly cruiser compared to everything else. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

Tier 2: N/A

Tier 3, Tenryu because CBT memories.

Tier 4, Ark Beta as that thing once in 10 to 13 km range WILL get dev strikes.

If it is Tier 5... ARP Hiei. No questions asked.

Tier 6, then it would be La Galissonnière as I can kite, everywhere.

Tier 7... Nagato.

Tier 8, Amagi. Again, no questions asked.

Tier 9... IDK.

Tier 10, Yamato because that is the Tier 10 I have the most experience using. (Was a Corgi Captain)

Edited by Dictonary

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,868 posts
6,902 battles

Gearing.  With defensive fire I can avoid air attacks reasonably well if up against a lone CV.  With stealth I can ensure I never fight unless it's on my terms against everything else but a CV, and with def fire I'm not particularly scared of CVS either.

1v1 in a deathmatch a dd beats everything because stealth permits you the advantage of never having to fight except on your terms.

It's only when dds are forced to take risks because of objectives, or have to deal with multiple ships at once that they get in trouble.  If the only variable you have to worry about is sinking one ship with nothing else to interfere, dd is God.

Edited by Shadeylark

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

If it's blind pick, go with Midway. If counterpicking is allowed, well, go second, obviously.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
7 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

Longjiang. Use superior concealment and send continuous salvos of torps. :cap_book:

Unless your opponent is also in a DD, that is.