You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ricky_Racer

Ramming. Why Should Both Ships Sink?

60 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

I know the mechanics. I know how it works. But in real life, I doubt very highly the Captain would ram another ship knowing he and all his crew would die. The game tries to mirror real life, but the actions of a player in the game isn't RL. 

If one NC rams another NC, and the one who did the ramming, had 10% health & the one he rams has 80% health, why should the one with 80% have to be sunk? Why can't the one, whose health is 10% left be taken from the one with 80%? Like I said. I know how the game works. Somethings make sense. Some don't.

Ramming is rare but it ruins the game when both ships sink.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
3 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

The game tries to mirror real life

As for your question, when two tens-of-thousands-of-tons vehicles made of inches thick steel at best slam into eachother, both are going to get hurt. That's the reality of it. The only time a ship shrugs off a ram is if there's a severe tonnage disparity between them and - guess what - that's modeled in the game as well.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,516 battles

Current Ramming Mechanics is just a placeholder if i remember correctly.

They are working on more important things.

[DPG]
Members
886 posts
4,422 battles
4 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

I know the mechanics. I know how it works. But in real life, I doubt very highly the Captain would ram another ship knowing he and all his crew would die. The game tries to mirror real life, but the actions of a player in the game isn't RL. 

If one NC rams another NC, and the one who did the ramming, had 10% health & the one he rams has 80% health, why should the one with 80% have to be sunk? Why can't the one, whose health is 10% left be taken from the one with 80%? Like I said. I know how the game works. Somethings make sense. Some don't.

Ramming is fun, and even more so when you know you're about to die or it's the last ship.  It's all in good fun.

• Cool 2

Members
9,958 posts
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

As for your question, when two tens-of-thousands-of-tons vehicles made of inches thick steel at best slam into eachother, both are going to get hurt. That's the reality of it. The only time a ship shrugs off a ram is if there's a severe tonnage disparity between them and - guess what - that's modeled in the game as well.

Or you're wearing the proper flag.....:Smile_teethhappy:

[-TKS-]
Members
297 posts
5,931 battles
12 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

yea game is literally unplayable .

it was a while ago but i swear i can remember ramming and not sinking. took a ton of health but still.  that was without the flag as well. 

[KNMSU]
Members
3,365 posts
3,938 battles

If two battleships rammed at full speed IRL? Yes, I think both would very likely sustain damage that could lead to sinkings. Two destroyers? Eh... depends on the angle of impact, really. Destroyers have rammed each other many times and come and been able to fight on. 

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,462 battles

I rammed and sank a Bogue with my Zuiho and I didn't sink, still had 1/4 health, was able to cap and we won. it was fun. Wasn't even flying the ramming flag. Hit him at an angle, maybe it helped keep me alive. 

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles
19 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

The game tries to mirror real life

No no it's does not hahahahahahaha..

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,387 battles
10 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

it was a while ago but i swear i can remember ramming and not sinking. took a ton of health but still.  that was without the flag as well.

I've survived one BB ramming and he sank. I've also been rammed (lol) by 2 DDs and shrugged them off.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,387 battles
2 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

See the source image

One of my favorite shows as a kid.

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
8 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

If two battleships rammed at full speed IRL? Yes, I think both would very likely sustain damage that could lead to sinkings. Two destroyers? Eh... depends on the angle of impact, really. Destroyers have rammed each other many times and come and been able to fight on. 

Like I said. I agree. But for a Captain to ram another intentionally basically is saying "They Quit" This action doesn't teach strategy on how to stay alive.

3 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

No no it's does not hahahahahahaha..

And if the game doesn't try an mirror RL. Then why does this one mechanic have to be in the game?

9 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

I rammed and sank a Bogue with my Zuiho and I didn't sink, still had 1/4 health, was able to cap and we won. it was fun. Wasn't even flying the ramming flag. Hit him at an angle, maybe it helped keep me alive. 

I was talking about 2 identical ships but with completely opposite end of the scale pertaining to health that is left.

Under its current form, one ship is being rewarded. The other is being penalized.

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

I think when you ram another ship your engines should be reduced to 1/4 speed and flooding without repair ability. Let them battle it out till the end.

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

I think my favorite ram was when I took my Richealiu and went into a full health Glober Kurfürst(he sank). He said why did you do that? I said tactical thinking I was almost dead anyway. Lol

[DAWGZ]
[DAWGZ]
Members
46 posts
8,433 battles

You don't always die.
Sometimes you survive and get the Die-Hard achievement. Strange thing is most times I got this was with a destroyer. Go figure....

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles

Both ships do not always sink, think it depends on ship types and HP, like had New Mexico ram my Warspite in the middle channel of Two Brothers they sank, I just had some flooding and some HP gone, so hit Danage Control, hit Repair Party, and then went on my way thinking man Wargaming must have programmed Warspite with a lot of data from the real world version of Warspite which survived a ton of punishment including ramming on a few occasions...

:Smile_teethhappy:

[KNMSU]
Members
3,365 posts
3,938 battles

Like I said. I agree. But for a Captain to ram another intentionally basically is saying "They Quit" This action doesn't teach strategy on how to stay alive.

And if the game doesn't try an mirror RL. Then why does this one mechanic have to be in the game?

I was talking about 2 identical ships but with completely opposite end of the scale pertaining to health that is left.

Under its current form, one ship is being rewarded. The other is being penalized.

I don't think it's so much an "I quit" (typically) as it is a desperation throw. There is nothing so thrilling in this game as being a low-HP vessel ramming and killing a full HP one. It is the ultimate "gotcha."

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles

You mean like the way radar works in this game is real ? 

4 minutes ago, CmdrVan said:

Sometimes you survive and get the Die-Hard achievement. Strange thing is most times I got this was with a destroyer. Go figure....

Pretty sure it's been pointed out over and over how ramming works if the OP would just do a search in the forums, hell maybe a CC like ichase or someone else has done a vid on it ?

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
1 minute ago, Ricky_Racer said:

If one NC rams another NC, and the one who did the ramming, had 10% health & the one he rams has 80% health, why should the one with 80% have to be sunk? 

A North Carolina displaces a bit over 40000 tons.

In the scenario you present, it's not a 4000 ton North Carolina colliding with a 32000 ton North Carolina. It's two 40000 ton North Carolinas colliding.

Other than maybe a few tons here or there lost by some random pieces of missing steel, or incinerated flammables, at any given speed, a freshly-commissioned ship delivers as much kinetic energy in a collision as a barely afloat flaming hulk. (which might actually be heavier if it carries any flooding water)

A better question is, why should the health state of the ship matter where ramming is involved?

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I don't think it's so much an "I quit" (typically) as it is a desperation throw.

The only time I "try" or do it is when it's a desperation move, everyone of these titles have a ram mechanic built into it..

[KNMSU]
Members
3,365 posts
3,938 battles
1 minute ago, francesabyss said:

Ramming. Why Should Both Ships Sink?

They dont.

Ive rammed 2 ships for the win.

Some guy rammed me last night attempting to nab a draw and it wound up costing him the game. Classic fail.

360 posts
194 battles
9 minutes ago, CmdrVan said:

You don't always die.

There's an image of an after battle report showing a Benson(?) that got Die Hard from ramming a G.Kurfurst.