You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

A little disappointed with Lyon so far.

35 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,869 posts
5,255 battles

I guess I was expecting bigger things.   However, with the all battleships all the time queues right now, it might not be fair to judge her to harshly.  So I'm keeping my mind open.  That said, at this moment I think I actually prefer Normandie.

• Bad 3

[BIAS]
Members
3,151 posts
9,233 battles

I find it is best shooting at cruisers at medium range. You get a good spread of shells that almost guarantee a couple pens even if you are a bad shot and get some weird citadels with the long fused AP.

Edited by Ducky_shot

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,951 battles

Just going to copy my thoughts from the Alsace thread:

I don't like mine, either... and I have actually had some good games in the thing.

Problems with the Lyon:

I could probably name more things, but that's sufficient. Look, I won't deny it's good, I'm just saying - this was not a ship designed with me in mind. That's all.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
460 posts
12,408 battles

Lyon is amazing against cruisers. Part of the problem likely is the BB population has exploded for the French release, so there aren't as many cruisers around as usual.

Lyon can do well against broadside BBs. Against angled BBs it struggles.

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles
Just now, madmikey77 said:

Lyon is amazing against cruisers. Part of the problem likely is the BB population has exploded for the French release, so there aren't as many cruisers around as usual.

True, I really like my Lyon. I got her through the missions and there wasn't only BBs playing when I unlocked completed her mission. Very fun ship.

[AFW-]
Beta Testers
135 posts
10,311 battles
4 minutes ago, madmikey77 said:

You should have seen the BB explosion when the germans Bb's were introduced. It was amazing.

Beta Testers
4 posts
2,194 battles

I agree with Lutzow here. Lyon looks like a lot of fun, but i feel like she was put in because "lol sixteen guns" rather than for any good reason. It's the first ship i see myself free xping over, because she really holds zero interest to me, and Richelieu is just right there....

Strasbourg, however, I'd play the crap out of :)

[NUWES]
Members
1,657 posts
5,562 battles
3 minutes ago, madmikey77 said:

^This. Also Lyon suffers more than Normandie does because the 16" guns which are prevalent on its tier can go through her armor like butter. Normandie mostly faces 14" and some 15". None of the French BBs are well-armored until you get to Richelieu. The guns have the same issue. Armor is getting better with tier but the French guns don't jump up until Richelieu. Normandie faces fewer ships that can laugh at her guns than Lyon does. I also noticed that Normandie is easier to play than Lyon. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,657 posts
5,562 battles
2 minutes ago, Crispinater said:

I agree with Lutzow here. Lyon looks like a lot of fun, but i feel like she was put in because "lol sixteen guns" rather than for any good reason. It's the first ship i see myself free xping over, because she really holds zero interest to me, and Richelieu is just right there....

Strasbourg, however, I'd play the crap out of :)

If you have Dunkerque you basically have Strasbourg. Strasbourg's extra armor isn't enough to survive against the 16inchers on T7 much better than Dunkerque's is. Other than that it's the same ship. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

I'm doing fine in my Lyon. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

lyon is great for grinding in  operation.      almost done with stock grind on  it. 

Members
610 posts

I can say that I had a terrible time trying to sink a Lyon.  We lost our BB then two Cruisers and me in the Sims chasing a running away Lyon.  It just would not sink!  The Cruisers tried AP AE and I was spamming all of Sims guns with HE by running off the Lyons beam. 

Too funny ! 

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles

I had it in mind from the beginning of the Vive la France event/mission to put the reward captain Jacques-Jean Honoré in the Lyon to get enhanced Expert Gunner and Adrenaline effects. Perhaps it's confirmation bias at work but I've found Lyon to be very effective. I really like Normandie as well but still have not meshed with the RIchelieu. As a collector, even if Lyon was so-so I would keep her for her uniqueness and, well, 16 guns...

Members
1,640 posts
7,474 battles

Lyon is a great, quirky ship.

I found that closing to range and brawling with her was most effective for utilising her armament. Playing like a USN DD and doing island ambushes with 16 guns is very fun if you can pull it off, otherwise anything past medium range is disappointment, and at medium range she'll take awhile but she will bring numbers like any other.

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

I generally had a decent overall impression of the French BBs playing the Normandie and Richelieu but after playing Alsace last night with her shotguns, any enthusiasm I had for the French line has kind of went out the window.   Completely regret spending 20 million on the Alsace last night to buy and outfit it with modules.   Should have saved my Silver for the RN line I am currently grinding. 

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Your problem is that your prey has migrated for the season.  Wait a few months for the cruiser population to return and I'm pretty sure she'll be more user-friendly, unless the nerf bat makes an appearance. 

Copied and pasted from that other thread:

Spoiler

18104_165_1519769816.png.c4eb5cbd9d2eae0

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
Excuse me, is this your toast?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,808 posts
10,315 battles

I think Lyon, like the other smaller gun armed T7's rewards dynamic ammunition selection well. With a 30s reload this can be frustrating, but it does leave tools in your kit.

Yes, she can't overmatch like the 15 or 16in armed ships, but she can drop 16 barrels of HE into the face of a battleship if it angles. That's pretty much as many fires per broadside as KGV, though with lower accuracy.

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,104 battles
39 minutes ago, KonigstigerVII said:

Nothing to complain about from this guy.

5a983d492c559_Screenshot(31).thumb.png.05dfac5f03d3319209500bb920f47823.png

Ditto. 

Took Lyon out for her maiden voyage this morning and deleted a full health Algerie and Takao within the first 5 minutes of the match.  Small sample size, but that 16 gun broadside is just murder to foolish cruisers.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
33 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

How is Lyon in scenarios?

I just tried it, thank goodness we had 3 Atlanta's and two Pensacola's....yep Pensacola. 5 star, but 5th of 6th in xp, No kills, 1 friggin Citadel. Only ship I outperformed was another Frenchie, the Algerie. The guns suck, and almost all ships come at you in that odd angle where you get 950 damage and by the time you have a quality shot the Atlanta's have killed him.

Cannot come up with one positive so far for any of the 3 French BB's I've played.

• Cool 1

Members
1,863 posts
8,842 battles
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I just tried it, thank goodness we had 3 Atlanta's and two Pensacola's....yep Pensacola. 5 star, but 5th of 6th in xp, No kills, 1 friggin Citadel. Only ship I outperformed was another Frenchie, the Algerie. The guns suck, and almost all ships come at you in that odd angle where you get 950 damage and by the time you have a quality shot the Atlanta's have killed him.

Cannot come up with one positive so far for any of the 3 French BB's I've played.

Use HE.

I got a Kraken in a Random yesterday using almost all HE.

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles
7 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Thanks I won't waste the free XP to get it sooner in that case.

[TBOW]
Members
261 posts
3,849 battles

What? Lyon is epic. I got her from the crates and I consistently do well with her and is my favorite t7 BB. She devastates practically everything dds, cruisers and Battleships that show too much side (easy 16-20k hits) and if they angle shoot HE or aim for superstructure. 35 lyon games of pure fun 66%wr. I'm not sure we are playing the same ship.Screenshot_2018-03-01-10-29-04-1.pngScreenshot_2018-03-01-10-29-23-1.png