You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

How did you start playing WoWs?

62 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,231 battles

I built a new PC back in May of 2016 when WG had a partnership with ASUS. I had invite codes on 2 of my components for a Diana and some premium time and credits. I was extremely wary of the F2P model after hearing some bad rep about WoT. But I decided a free access code was enough to get me to try it. Who knew that a F2P game could be so expensive.... :Smile_teethhappy: In an unrelated note, who knew that my willpower was so weak...

Don't think I've been hooked by a game for so long, I've played little else over the past 2 years. I actually was pretty decent in that Diana, as I don't take it out much anymore. I still need to finish the Fallout 4 playthrough I was playing at the time when I switched to the new PC....

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

I watch a few videos of WoWs from jingles and thought it looked fun. started  playing in 2015 and took a big break in 2017 and have spent more money than I would like to amit.

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

Nice, I think I ran across the game by reading about it online. It might have been a PC gamer article. It looked interesting but was in closed beta at that time. When open beta began, I signed up soon thereafter and I have played consistently since that point.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,096 posts
12,650 battles

Is it weird that I don't remember?

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,981 posts
9,916 battles

I had been playing WoT since March of 2013 and tried WoWp ( did not continue for long on it ) and they announced WoWs Alpha . I could not get into the Alpha Test but lurked around on the forum ( and begged ; pleaded and asked repeatedly for the Atlanta to be included ) . When the Beta Test Weekends were announced I tried my best to get an invite code and failed . But a really good person gave me one of their extra's so made it into the first Closed Beta Test Weekend which got you automatically into the second weekend and regular Closed Beta Test . That was in late December 2014 . And the rest is history , lol .

:Smile_honoring:      

[WOLFB]
Members
2,687 posts
5,042 battles

I was bored one week and saw the open beta and thought why not I like navy ships. I took last year off but have been getting back into it.

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles

Saw one of my subs on YouTube playing it back during late stages of beta.  The game came out for windows on September 17, 2015 and I subscribed the next day on the 18th.

Edited by biggie1447

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I came across the trailer for "World of Battleships" during E3 2014 and wanted in. I signed up for the Alpha test but didn't make it in. However I got in on the second Beta Weekend in March 2015. Only a month or so later was CBT and I've been here every since.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
945 posts
10,405 battles

Denied a spot in both closed alpha and beta, finally got in on the open beta weekends and have played it ever since. 

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,751 battles

I don't remember how I found it. I just remember being somewhat astonished it ran decently on my very outdated laptop. Only took a few games in OBT to realize I was hooked.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles

My work writing WoT guides back in the day brought me to the attention of the devs, and I was invited for first wave Alpha testing back in 2013.

• Cool 1

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

play for free pop up add right as I was quitting Warcraft for the 14th time in ten years.

• Funny 1

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles

I was playing WOT and MechWarrior Online at the time and was burnt out on them, so I tried  WOWS  and been here off and on since 2015 maybe, I still miss when a Phoenix would meet a New Mexico, it's where I learned to wasd hack because I was told to play it like a DD with a citadel and not rush up the line so I played it and the Murmansk a lot..

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

There was this little ad on the web, "shoot torpedoes at the ship" I would do it over, and over again. Well my wife says "Just try the damn game already!" I even told her no, but about the fourth or fifth time she said that I tried it, been hooked ever since!

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,603 posts
6,757 battles

Fed up with WOT and all the crap over there and got duped into coming here based on how our Gold and Premium time would all be interchangeable, turns out that was only a half truth, came here with a very large group of players, once they found out the truth as to how our GOLD would not be usable, they all left and went back to WOT, I stayed.  My bad.

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles

Girlfriend at the time found it when it was near the end of Open Beta, I joined in and except for a brief time off playing Armored warfare, been here ever since. intend to stay till they turn off the lights

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

I originally played Tanks back in 2013 and took a break. I remember jumping in right away to rush the Panzer IV after a  good friend gave me one of his model tanks as a going away gift.  I enjoyed it but wasn't getting anywhere fast or better, so I ended up taking a break. Cue Sept 2016 when I made my return and felt the same way again. So I looked at WG's other games and figured, "Why not, I don't know anything about warships or their history outside of Age of Empires, but it could still be fun."

Now, here I am. 

Beta Testers
58 posts
5,795 battles

I played World of Tanks and watched Jingles videos to get better. He showed a WOWs video from Beta, signed up for Beta and have been playing ever since. I don't play any other game at this point.

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,231 battles
11 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Is it weird that I don't remember?

At your age??? Of course not

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Funny 1

Members
242 posts
646 battles

Probably from everyone who plays Naval Action also playing this game :cap_hmm:

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
227 posts
12,953 battles

I moved to washington state and where i worked a co-worker introduced me to world of tanks. So i started playing that, seen that WG was going to release a warship game and bought the sims and gremy to get in on the action, been playing ever since. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

I started playing WoT in 2013. When wows was announced I tried to get into alpha and beta, failed, and eventually boughty way into beta

[MEIST]
Members
870 posts
3,059 battles

I watched videos about it and streams as I remember. Then thought, "this looks fun" and bought a Sims to get into the CBT. That when my potato game play started. Been mediocre ever since. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles

Found out it was coming out from playing tanks. Then @MajorRenegade got me a Beta weekend invite(well pointed the way) been playing since Dec 2014 with a few month hiccup till CBT started.