Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Thanks to the Ops team for Five Stars

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I got caught up in an engagement at the rear of our flotilla, failing to keep up in my Atlanta. Take my word for it - don't let it happen to you! The reds WILL focus you even though their target is the main AI battleship Ruan (which the chat text calls Rouan - go figure). On top of that a wave of red planes suddenly popped on the screen. I was lit up as if i were sailing in the light of a mid-day sun!

It was mid-morning today... sorry I didn't get a screen capture. You guys did a great job of carrying a sad sack like me.

Thanks for the FIVE star mission and the doubloons! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,724
[TBW]
Members
6,405 posts
12,050 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

And you won the whole $1.50 worth of doubloons?

WG thinks it's real gold, I'm surprised they don't post the daily market value.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,262
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,247 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

WG thinks it's real gold, I'm surprised they don't post the daily market value.

This is only funny because it's true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
178
[WPP]
Members
517 posts
5,441 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

WG thinks it's real gold, I'm surprised they don't post the daily market value.

Yeah, when I won I realized I hadn't seen the rewards yet... 5 stars in a super limited mission should be worth a 10 point captain maybe?  Nope - worth a port slot.  Imagine if they offered you a free tier 2 tech tree ship....  Everyone would sell it immediately and rage about how weak that was because it was just a port slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I am Happy with anything I get from the game with little to no effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[LUCK]
Members
1,303 posts
19,581 battles
3 hours ago, galspanic said:

And you won the whole $1.50 worth of doubloons?

Aren't you a snarky little troll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

operation has been great for grinding  stock hull lyon.   so  I am happy.  so far 3x  4 star.  havn't gotten 5 yet  lol  always seem to miss the graf zep kill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
178
[WPP]
Members
517 posts
5,441 battles
59 minutes ago, hofmannsc said:

Aren't you a snarky little troll.

Not at all.  Maybe a little snark, but I feel like the person who says 300 gold is a great reward is the troll or just bad at personal economics.  While I appreciate any in game stuff, to call it a reward is a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
4 hours ago, galspanic said:

Not at all.  Maybe a little snark, but I feel like the person who says 300 gold is a great reward is the troll or just bad at personal economics.  While I appreciate any in game stuff, to call it a reward is a stretch.

C'mon man - the thing was the teamwork that carried the match - and even though I did not contribute nearly enough, I shared evenly in the rewards/awards/gifts/doorprizes/presents/tokens/unreal gold/whatever you think it was/is/isnt.

It IS about them carrying the ops mission to a successful conclusion, a five-star victory. I wasn't the only one who got sunk.  The post was an attempt to thank those guys for playing an Ops mission the way it needs to be played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,236 posts

Actually by drawing a good deal of attention helped the team immensely.  They weren't dodging torpedoes, shells, or other garbage fired by the reds.  If the bulk of the potential damage dealt was being wasted by sending it at you the team wasn't eating it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,227
[WOLF3]
Members
6,441 posts
2,405 battles

AA Atlanta has a role in the back - you can kill planes before they can drop on the rest of the team.

Or did you die before they got there? ;)

 

Second try solo, 4 stars tonight.  I kept running into islands so again couldn't lead with Hydro.  GZ was hiding up at A2 but we coldn't get there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
8 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Actually by drawing a good deal of attention helped the team immensely.  They weren't dodging torpedoes, shells, or other garbage fired by the reds.  If the bulk of the potential damage dealt was being wasted by sending it at you the team wasn't eating it.

How very kind of you :fish_cute_2: It was pretty hectic for me it seemed for well over a minute or more... so maybe I helped a bit..

 

6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

AA Atlanta has a role in the back - you can kill planes before they can drop on the rest of the team.

Or did you die before they got there? ;)

My ship got sunk just as the aircraft came at me. Seriously, the ships and planes were all fixated on me :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
211 posts
9,929 battles
8 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Actually by drawing a good deal of attention helped the team immensely.  They weren't dodging torpedoes, shells, or other garbage fired by the reds.  If the bulk of the potential damage dealt was being wasted by sending it at you the team wasn't eating it.

Yea that is pretty important.  The not so fun part I encountered,  was playing early on patch release.

Cruiser only teams is only good(because of ROF) if you counter-ambush the 3-4 times where a group of DDs ambush the Rouan.  If the team lags behind hiding/scared to scratch paint,  the Rouan is sunk and that's the reason for complete mission fail.

 

BBs did start showing up in queue after I had a half-dozen games and it can help if they play well.   The BBs can eat a few torps and keep going,  and the Bot DDs like to shoot their guns also.  So if a BB is taking charge ahead of the group,  the DDs near the end point will be revealed and won't have a good torp firing angle on the Rouan.  Now you need the cruisers to close in and fling volleys at them like mad.

(BBs in the match can help a bit more with attacking the CV as well.)

 

I've had 2x 4-star games which would've been 5,  but the Rouan took slow damage one game and was struck by torps in another.   Both were in the last 20-30secs of the match which makes the ocean a little more salty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I have seen a bot get next to the ship and turn into her, forcing her to keep to her pre-chosen path... which was of course, straight into the heart of the oncoming reds. It seems to me it would more appropriate for the primary target to take evasive action away from the reds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
472
[4HIM]
Members
1,805 posts
4,072 battles

Times I've played it, if no one at the start even makes an attempt at the spotter planes I've noticed the entire team doesn't do as well.  

But yeah, this Op requires more than one unicum to make 5 stars.  Made 4 several times.  Typically it's the CV that doesn't get attacked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,998
[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
On 01/03/2018 at 1:28 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

I got caught up in an engagement at the rear of our flotilla, failing to keep up in my Atlanta. Take my word for it - don't let it happen to you! The reds WILL focus you even though their target is the main AI battleship Ruan (which the chat text calls Rouan - go figure). On top of that a wave of red planes suddenly popped on the screen. I was lit up as if i were sailing in the light of a mid-day sun!

It was mid-morning today... sorry I didn't get a screen capture. You guys did a great job of carrying a sad sack like me.

Thanks for the FIVE star mission and the doubloons! 

 

As one who's put posts like ths up myself, it's always nice to see posts like this when someone got benefits and they acknowledge others put in a lot of effort towards that.

It isn't always possible to thank them in game, because you sometimes don't know how it's going to go and you certainly don't know (in many cases) whether the game brought you enough XP or coin or whatever to unlock an achievement until it's over and the chat window has closed (in both senses of the word).

Definite word to the person who gets focused down letting others get on with important stuff elsewhere. That CAN make a big difference.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

For  the ones complaining about the 300 gold. That is pretty handy if you need to respec a 10 or 12 point captain so is it not like giving you a 10  point captain?

I have never understood why people complain about free stuff. The are not required to give you anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[LUCK]
Members
1,303 posts
19,581 battles
20 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

I have never understood why people complain about free stuff. The are not required to give you anything.

because they are greedy little woodchucks that think it should be more is my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[5IN]
Members
1,791 posts
8,138 battles

Its an interesting operation.  I fxp'd Lyon and tried it yesterday and managed a 5 star finish on the first try.  Not too shabby.

I may use it to grind out Lyon the rest of the way.  Anyway, it was fun.

B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,227
[WOLF3]
Members
6,441 posts
2,405 battles
On 3/2/2018 at 1:10 AM, iDuckman said:

I kept running into islands so again couldn't lead

It finally dawned on me that I have Pensie outfitted with Steering Mod 2 so when I give my usual heavy-handed BB/long CA steering input she oversteers.  Derp!

Now she's got DCS 2.

 

7 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Times I've played it, if no one at the start even makes an attempt at the spotter planes I've noticed the entire team doesn't do as well.

Couple times captains - usually on the bridge of Atlanta - are going, "Leave the scouts alone so we can get more plane kills."   Sometimes it even works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles
On 3/1/2018 at 3:56 PM, centarina said:

operation has been great for grinding  stock hull lyon.   so  I am happy.  so far 3x  4 star.  havn't gotten 5 yet  lol  always seem to miss the graf zep kill.

Indeed it has. 10 games in Randoms, 5k free xp at the end and the rest in Hermes running cammo and xp flags. Im done with the Lyon in 7 days :) Great ship tho, perhaps even a keeper. Ive hit the 5 star almost every time. The trick is to get into position to kill that carrier. Typically I can get 1-2 cits on it before it turns tail and I switch to HE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×