Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
yacskn

WG And Their Obsession With Fixing Things Not Broken

26 comments in this topic

[R-F1]
Members
397 posts
14,428 battles

First it was the Training Room that turned bots into lifeless husks with no option to arm or make them active.

Then it was the UI changes that took Division interface and put it into the chat box, inconveniencing navigation through menus.

Now it's the minimap. Why are the ship icons so damn small? They are barely visible and almost impossible to distinguish the type. What was wrong with the way it was before exactly?

Some of us don't have a 4k, 24" screen WG. Some of us even use laptops for their gaming.

There's something entirely pointless to frustrate people every other patch it seems.

Congratulate yourselves.

• Cool 7

[USCC2]
Members
3,557 posts

Ok, I was intending to say 'well they are merely trying to improve the game with the changes', as not to look at ways to make it better would cause it to get meh really quick.

But then I read your post and thought 'yep, he's right!'. +1

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

Who knows. Maybe it's a study to see if smaller icons forcing people to squint at their minimaps will get them to pay attention to it more? :Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 2

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
18,993 battles

Press H and your statistics are now in the left-middle of your screen.  Not sure why this change was necessary?  Perhaps to make the minimap larger?  

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

I hate to break it to you but Computer technology in the area of graphics and video is skyrocketing and these gaming companies are going to take advantage of this for the growing demand. In computing nothing stays still. If you have a computer that is barely hanging on you will have to upgrade. HD is common now, and 4k, 8k, is just around the corner.

• Bad 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

They need a few old laptops on-station for QA testing prior to release. Setting such things up to utilize parameters, so they scale properly, is part and parcel to building a solid app. Business or gaming, that aspect of design remains the same. First make it work. Second make it fast. Third make it pretty. For these mods, they failed on the QA for #1. 

Think globally when talking "HD, 4k and 8k". Their primary source of income most likely is not "rocking" such graphics, mainly due to cost. "You have to upgrade" of course was their logic and motivation  in providing gamers the "ultra low" graphic settings in game. Seriously? Upgrade or don't play?

Translated: Let them spend money they could spend with us on new computer systems and hardware so they can play more modern games than ours? This will get us greater cash flow... uh... wait... that doesn't make much sense.... there are far more older systems out there... let's see how long we can find a way to draw their money to us...  

There really is no reason to push above and beyond the lowest common denominator with this game. It's all about money. 

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles
1 hour ago, Slick_Komodo said:

Press H and your statistics are now in the left-middle of your screen.  Not sure why this change was necessary?  Perhaps to make the minimap larger?  

The real problem with that "press H" thing is that whenever you enter a word into in-game chat that contains an 'h', it pops up that statistics mini-window.

Now, if only they'd create a temporary mini-window for the view ahead from the bridge, so that you could take a quick view ahead without going through the contortions of holding down the RMB and rotating your view, which IMO is a rather tedious combination of motions.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles
20 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

They need a few old laptops on-station for QA testing prior to release. Setting such things up to utilize parameters, so they scale properly, is part and parcel to building a solid app. Business or gaming, that aspect of design remains the same. First make it work. Second make it fast. Third make it pretty. For these mods, they failed on the QA for #1. 

Think globally when talking "HD, 4k and 8k". Their primary source of income most likely is not "rocking" such graphics, mainly due to cost. "You have to upgrade" of course was their logic and motivation  in providing gamers the "ultra low" graphic settings in game. Seriously? Upgrade or don't play?

Translated: Let them spend money they could spend with us on new computer systems and hardware so they can play more modern games than ours? This will get us greater cash flow... uh... wait... that doesn't make much sense.... there are far more older systems out there... let's see how long we can find a way to draw their money to us...  

There really is no reason to push above and beyond the lowest common denominator with this game. It's all about money. 

I both agree and disagree.  I don't think that there's anything wrong with having the game be capable of taking advantage of more advanced graphics capabilities, as long as it's still able to function on the potato computers that the vast majority of players use.

[R-F1]
Members
397 posts
14,428 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

This: ^^^

Besides, 4k requires a screen size of minimum 24" to be noticeable and around 28" to get the best out of; one shouldn't expect every gamer to have such large screens, especially for a F2P game with ambitions of mass-appeal.

What's more, there's an ever growing population of laptop gamers out there and their screens usually top-out at 17".

Expecting everyone to upgrade to 4k-8k systems is simply unreasonable.

But of course, there always has to be that one guy who posts without thinking just to oppose the premise of the thread for opposition's sake, hasn't there?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

I often tell folks.   Think back 6 months:  Things weren't so bad were they?

And yet you were complaining back then about everything.

You must realize that in 6 months, you will think of this moment as one of the good times as you think they can't get any worse.

Just live your life and roll with the punches.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles

Other relevant questions: why is the client so enormous? Like, there appears to be zero effort at WG to streamline - every patch it just gets more bloated. Also, why does it take so long to boot up the client? Why do I have to go through a full two load screens just to reach the menu? I am running on an SSD - this is definitely a software problem.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I won't lie, WG does have the habit of changing things that aren't broken.

I'd hang tight, I figure the modders will come up with a fix for this. 

I haven't updated Aslains yet (If Its available yet), there might already be something in there to help.

[SBS]
Members
2,463 posts
2,253 battles
2 hours ago, yacskn said:

Now it's the minimap. Why are the ship icons so damn small? They are barely visible and almost impossible to distinguish the type. What was wrong with the way it was before exactly?

I believe WoWs has a fair number of older players, as in, middle-aged and older.  As one of the middle-aged players my eyesight isn't what it used to be.  I'd love the option to make the UI larger, not smaller.  I imagine there are plenty of people with me on that.

• Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,139 posts
9,228 battles

You know the old adage, "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"

[ICOP]
Members
934 posts
3,408 battles

The patch made the mini-map scaleable up to 4k and the size of the icons are based on how you scaled up the mini-map for your own personal preference.

There was little or no change in icon size for me as I run the mini-map at a fair size, i.e. large.

To quote Obi-wan, it greatly depends on one's point of view.

Members
62 posts
3,691 battles
1 hour ago, Raven114 said:

I hate to break it to you but Computer technology in the area of graphics and video is skyrocketing and these gaming companies are going to take advantage of this for the growing demand. In computing nothing stays still. If you have a computer that is barely hanging on you will have to upgrade. HD is common now, and 4k, 8k, is just around the corner.

So you make these things optional. I play at 1440p and I hate this part of the update as well: I actually enjoyed not having my minimal covered in massive blobs. I enjoyed having the smaller icons because I could actually see what ships were what if there were more than 2 ships in an area.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

The real problem with that "press H" thing is that whenever you enter a word into in-game chat that contains an 'h', it pops up that statistics mini-window.

^This.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,756 posts
4,567 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I thought WG made WoWP 2.0 to cater to "Central Asian players"...

Maybe Ships team thinks differently...

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Maybe... and havent seen you about for awhile - good to see you. 

[TCNNA]
Members
107 posts
4,016 battles
3 hours ago, yacskn said:

First it was the Training Room that turned bots into lifeless husks with no option to arm or make them active.

Then it was the UI changes that took Division interface and put it into the chat box, inconveniencing navigation through menus.

Some of us don't have a 4k, 24" screen WG. Some of us even use laptops for their gaming.

There's something entirely pointless to frustrate people every other patch it seems.

Congratulate yourselves.

I also use a laptop. They seem the same size to me.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
4 hours ago, yacskn said:

Some of us don't have a 4k, 24" screen WG. Some of us even use laptops...

I upgraded recently, from laptop to full blown Alienware desktop with gaming screen.  Minimap is fine, really... :Smile_hiding:

Members
18,201 posts
5,196 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

I believe WoWs has a fair number of older players, as in, middle-aged and older.  As one of the middle-aged players my eyesight isn't what it used to be.  I'd love the option to make the UI larger, not smaller.  I imagine there are plenty of people with me on that.

Yup, I play on a 50" TV, have to play at 720p, because if I sit close enough to be able to read the range to target, I'd have to swivel my head to see the sides of the screen lol.

• Cool 1

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

They know they have to start preparing the UI for upgraded videos. I play on a widescreen 2550x1080 and the game does supports this. the UI has to be moved around to cover the higher resolutions.

Sign in to follow this