You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
skull_122_steel

the French tier X BB

16 comments in this topic

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

is the France(yes I know that not what it's called anymore but I can't pronounce the new name let alone spell it) worth it. it look unique but is it good

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I fought against it in my Charles Martel and hit 3 cits from 13k. Might have been a potato learning how to turn away from full broadsides access, It wasn't my "Perfect Aim".

[LEGIO]
Members
3,003 posts
5,412 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I fought against it in my Charles Martel and hit 3 cits from 13k. Might have been a potato learning how to turn away from full broadsides access, It wasn't my "Perfect Aim".

You got three citadels with 8" guns at a 13km range? Did they screw up the armor model?

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

You got three citadels with 8" guns at a 13km range? Did they screw up the armor model?

Either or

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles
17 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

I'm kind of thinking so at this point.  One of my clan mates reported landing multiple citadels against one at a range of 16km with a Des Moines.  It's possible it's working as intended, but that seems a little fishy to me.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,337 battles

France (or Republique) seems pretty interesting to play, especially for her good DPM but the armor is definitely meh. You already have to deal with HE spammer destroying nearly every AA and secondaries, if now you also have to deal with cruiser citadeling you from range, it can quickly become unfun to play with.

Now French BB just made their appearance on the live server, I'll wait few months to see if WG plans to buff something 

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles
10 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

France (or Republique) seems pretty interesting to play, especially for her good DPM but the armor is definitely meh. 

I get where you're coming from as the République's RoF sure looks nice, but if you sit down and actually do the math its DPM isn't all that impressive.  The République's DPM still lags behind all of the 12 gun BBs, and at Tier 10 is only superior to the Yamato and Conqueror 457. 

Alpha Tester
3,472 posts
3,871 battles
27 minutes ago, yashma said:

I'm kind of thinking so at this point.  One of my clan mates reported landing multiple citadels against one at a range of 16km with a Des Moines.  It's possible it's working as intended, but that seems a little fishy to me.

Maybe there's no armor below the main belt? That would mean all there is to hold out shells at high AoF that are lucky enough to hit right around waterline or submarine is the 50mm torpedo bulkhead. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,337 battles
3 minutes ago, yashma said:

I get where you're coming from as the République's RoF sure looks nice, but if you sit down and actually do the math its DPM isn't all that impressive.  The République's DPM still lags behind all of the 12 gun BBs, and at Tier 10 is only superior to the Yamato and Conqueror 457. 

Maths isn't everything. I understand what you're saying but when I saw some CC playing this ship, I was kinda amused by the RoF, especially against cruiser once AR starts kicking. It's probably not the same DPM a Montana can pump out but it can be fun. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,238 posts
14,665 battles
32 minutes ago, yashma said:

Well, we are in a phase of the game where Roma can get citadeled by DD AP :Smile_teethhappy:

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles
Just now, AlcatrazNC said:

Maths isn't everything. I understand what you're saying but when I saw some CC playing this ship, I was kinda amused by the RoF, especially against cruiser once AR starts kicking. It's probably not the same DPM a Montana can pump out but it can be fun. 

Yah, paper stats don't always translate to in game experiences.  The quicker reload might not let it out DPM a Montana, but it might be the difference between getting off one more volley  against a broadside cruiser before it can angle away.

[TFB]
[TFB]
Members
314 posts
7,939 battles

landed 3 citadels on one at 12km with hindy AP.

[AK-47]
Members
155 posts
3,106 battles
27 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Well, we are in a phase of the game where Roma can get citadeled by DD AP :Smile_teethhappy:

Absolutely right with that!!! I about had a heart attack the other day when I landed 3 cits on a Roma in two salvos from my Neptune from 13k away...

thpught it was strange cause before the match I looked up if a cruiser could cit a bb and only read  203+ could on really small occasions.... 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

Having owned her and taking her out for a spin today (about 6-7 matches at the time of this post), she's somewhat hit-or-miss. If I had to summarize her, it'd be "Support Battleship". Alternative summary would be "T10 Kongou".

THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL OPINION. JUST TO BE CLEAR.

She can be tanky with the usual angles/bow on play, but quickly falls apart under sustained HE fire due to her uniform 32mm armoring. If one has played Izumo, Republique (and Alsace and Richelieu) withers just as fast under sustained IFHE from anything. She also seems to eat non-cit AP like crazy anywhere along her centerline at not-quite-broadside angles from regular cruiser AP; obviously RNCL AP and USN CA AP take out bigger chunks thanks to normalization bonuses. I'm not sure if that's an armor error/issue or just another means of counterbalancing her guns. She really feels fragile the moment she opens up beyond the max limit of her gun arcs (either on approach or on retreat), making it especially crucial in planning turns.

She can spec her secondaries out to an impressive 12km range, but cannot brawl on her own (well, in theory, she could if the target was completely inept, or a Yamato with its extremely low maneuverability and traverse). However, this range plus her rapid-reloading guns allow her to easily support a push, as long as she's not the one leading it. Follow a Yamato or a GK in, and watch DDs and some cruisers have some second thoughts about running through the rain and potentially take some pain (those 431s can really sting, especially being able to bow-punch cruisers).

She can sprint reasonably well with the Speed Boost active, giving her a flexibility that could be more attributed to Kongou or Hood rather than Iowa/Missouri, either choosing to advance with cruisers or with other BBs and add to their firepower. Another parallel to Kongou/Hood is the fact that they just aren't as armored as tier equivalent battleships (but almost as trollish bow-on) and shouldn't be played like a battleship. Zigzagging like Kongou and Hood to bring the rear guns into play between enemy volleys applies well to Republique.

Her guns are extremely hit-or-miss, though they seem (TO ME) to have better dispersion than 357 Conqueror (tighter shell groupings). I've already citadeled a cruiser twice at near-max range, and bit out some 10k pen damage as well from a Montana and an Iowa at near-max range too. They feel quite comfortable and almost KM-like in traverse speed (moreso with Jean-Jacques as commander), but while she has greater pen, I've gotten a lot of overmatches vs cruisers and DDs at 15km or less. Conversely, she seems better able to gut-punch the likes of FdG and GK at those same ranges. Compared to some other BBs, Republique feels like she's best handled with continuous shifting between HE and AP rather than locking down to one type, due to the velocity. If anything, I'd liken her somewhat to Izumo, where the high shell velocity sometimes overpens cruisers at short ranges unless you really aim low for waterline citadels.

I hate to say it, but she seems likely to be the only other BB besides Conqueror that's camping the rear regularly, even on a total push or lemming train. This is already notable in the high tier matches I've played. Good shell velocity and short reloads combined with incredibly poor armor is going to result in many sitting back with her rather than going for a more controlled aggression (like one would with Kongou or Hood), which negates the offensive potential she can provide in an aggressive support role, especially against bow on cruisers.

All in all, and in my opinion, she's fun, but not a real game changer, the same way Conqueror isn't. Sure, both can rack up the damage, but both aren't as likely to claim high scores the way Yamato, Montana, or GK can. I do find myself warming up to her for similar reasons as I do Kongou, but she could stand to have a slight buff to more than 32mm armoring along the central section of hull. 34mm would be sufficient to defeat up to IFHE 155mm rounds, but still leave her quite weak to AP with her current armor scheme.

I still hate the fact she's an upscaled Gascogne rather than an upscaled Richelieu or an evolved Alsace N3 with a more conventional 3x3 setup though.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
1 hour ago, yashma said:

Hahaha oh boy. That is bad.

[RKN]
Members
1,425 posts
12,242 battles
1 hour ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

I citadelled a tirpitz in my Fiji last night. There's some strange things going on. 

• Cool 1