Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kiwi1960

My Avatar!

3 comments in this topic

[1RD]
Members
551 posts

My avatar is the first time I've gone the way I have, mainly, its not a ship, a person or anything... except it is famous.

New Zealand at the time of WW2 was a nation of about 2 million people, and on October 1st, 1941, the British allowed us to have our own navy. We were already at war of course, having declared war on Germany and Italy on the 3rd of September, 1939, along with England and most other British or former British colonies. One of the first ship to be inducted into our navy was the Achilles... made famous in December 1939 at the Battle of the River Plate... this profile picture is a part of that most famous (for us) of ships....

Y Turret from the Leander-class light cruiser HMS Achilles mounted on display at Devonport Naval Base in Auckland. The Leanders were the first British light cruisers to mount all their main guns in centre-line turrets. Y was the turret closest to the cruiser's stern. The other three turrets were named A and B (forward of the bridge) and X.

The actual photo is here....

y-turret.jpg?itok=decrHw7t

In keeping with the times of that ship... I'll end this post with the words....

"God Save The King!"

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 4

1,542 posts
26 battles

I love seeing them close up, you can actually tell the sheer scale of it when you compare it to stuff around it. They are just so HUGE! 

Thanks for sharing about the Achilles too, very cool! 

Members
4,178 posts

I've been to the USS Texas and the one thing which struck me was the texture of the turrets of the 14" main guns.  In my youthful mind at the time I expected them to be smooth, like a polished sheet of metal.

Sign in to follow this