You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sgt_Leviticus

Republique and dispersion

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
18 posts
4,631 battles

A few games in im noticing that this ship really has quite awful dispersion and makes it quite difficult to play despite its already obvious weaknesses. Anyone else noticing this? Do you think that the dispersion should be lowered a bit to allow it to more reliably hit since it doesn't have the volume of firepower that the other Battleships have?

What do yall think so far?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles

I don't have this ship but that problem is a recurring theme with French BBs.

Lyon really rolls the dice and hopes the mass of 16 guns gets her hits at range, because her sigma is really bad.

Richelieu has problems past 14, 15km reliably hitting.

From what LWM has said, Gascogne is the same way, 10-14km is the sweet spot.

From what I've seen, French BBs are brawlers or medium range fighters.  Kind of, sort-of like German BBs.  It seems the IJN & USN BB Lines are still the more reliable ranged BB combatants.  So far.  We'll see.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-VT-]
Members
339 posts
6,708 battles

I citadeled an angled Republique in my Hindenburg in clan battles earlier at over 10km, not getting a good vibe from her with that.

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,863 battles

Yes, there's problem with dispersion at range along with shells breaking.  I think the breaking of main battery shells is more the problem than dispersion.  That's my two cents.

[YOHB]
Members
250 posts
10,219 battles

Play it like a cruiser, the armor is spotty at best.

only 8 guns , and a bad rear turret firing arc.

In spite of the flaws I'm still enjoying the ship, but the tier 9 is defiantly better.

Edited by Brandx51

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,863 battles

I watched a recorded live stream of "Flambass" who division up with two War-Gaming employees regarding concerns about the French battleship line.  After a period time of complying each ship's stats if they see that ship isn't performing at it's tier, they will buff were required.  Now I'm confident by this.  Additionally, we must play all of these ships constantly so it indicates the short comings.  Don't just play the ship once and part it in the port. That doesn't help it.  Her's the link.  There's another link where they used the Republique. I saw at first hand the Republique's AP pen a Montana's angle hull cause of her AP speed. I almost fell out of my seat. 

Here's analogy, The German, G. Kurfurst is a broadsword, brawler and the Republique is a fencing, foil type.  Yes she has 12.1 range secondaries, but I believe that's more for defense against  DD rather than BBs.  

Angelo_Domenico_Malevolti_Fencing_Print,_1763.JPG

Sorry here the link with WG players. 

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[1SSF]
Members
47 posts
6,284 battles

I've been having pretty solid dispersion in it. The real problem is literally the entire ship eating HE damage from CAs and RN BBs and Citadels from weird angles. Overall it's fun but punishing.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,159 battles

I find the dispersion quite manageable, pen at range is sick. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles
7 hours ago, orangebowl1 said:

I've been having pretty solid dispersion in it. The real problem is literally the entire ship eating HE damage from CAs and RN BBs and Citadels from weird angles. Overall it's fun but punishing.

The entire French BB Line is prone to HE attacks.

[IP]
Members
43 posts
4,996 battles
On 3/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Here's analogy, The German, G. Kurfurst is a broadsword, brawler and the Republique is a fencing, foil type.  Yes she has 12.1 range secondaries, but I believe that's more for defense against  DD rather than BBs.  

I would disagree on the secondaries. They light fires like mad. With a 14 point commander and a manual build, I consistently get in brawls with conq/gk/etc and if you're willing to go in close and know how to angle a bit, you end up lighting so many fires they can't outheal/outdamage you. I do believe that if the french "flavor" is speed boost that it needs to be 15-20% not 8% because on a BB 8% is barely noticeable other than initial acceleration. Also, why do I have a GIANT helipad on the back and no aircraft? I say we should put a spotter "helicpoter" in there for flavor (same stats as a plane but just a cosmetic change). I do like her secondaries significantly better than my GK as blasphemous as that sounds.

On topic, her main battery dispersion is very hit or miss but they pen very well (almost too well with overpens) due to their velocity. For my secondary build, it's worsened as I don't have the main battery accuracy mod but if there's a medium/large size target at <15km range or a dd at <10km they'll rip the target apart, secondaries pounding away the whole time. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles

The 127mm secondaries on Republique should net you more reliable shell damage than what you got with the 100mm ones from Tier VIII-IX where they often did zero damage to BBs and made you rely on fires.  Not to mention Republique still has the 152mm secondaries.

4lovby4.jpg

We have 2 BBs in Tier X with absolutely monstrous secondaries

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,863 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The 127mm secondaries on Republique should net you more reliable shell damage than what you got with the 100mm ones from Tier VIII-IX where they often did zero damage to BBs and made you rely on fires.  Not to mention Republique still has the 152mm secondaries.

4lovby4.jpg

We have 2 BBs in Tier X with absolutely monstrous secondaries

Fellow clan mate wanted to test his GK against my Republique.  He lost all five matches in a secondary only wars.  His secodnaries with the aid of IFHE did more raw damage to my Republique. However, the Republique's secondaries started numerous fires on him.  On one match I got 17 fires on him to his 9 fires to me.  One time I allowed two fires to burn me down so Jean-Jacques Honore's AR do its magic. This Captain was made for her.  I'm happy with my build.

shot-18.03.12_23.55.40-0330.jpg

shot-18.03.12_23.55.59-0257.jpg

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles
24 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Fellow clan mate wanted to test his GK against my Republique.  He lost all five matches in a secondary only wars.  His secodnaries with the aid of IFHE did more raw damage to my Republique. However, the Republique's secondaries started numerous fires on him.  On one match I got 17 fires on him to his 9 fires to me.  One time I allowed two fires to burn me down so Jean-Jacques Honore's AR do its magic. This Captain was made for her.  I'm happy with my build.

shot-18.03.12_23.55.40-0330.jpg

shot-18.03.12_23.55.59-0257.jpg

The same holds true even for Alsace - FDG at Tier IX but the differences are larger.

FDG will do more reliable shell damage with the secondaries, Alsace 100mm guns are so bad in damage that it's not surprising to get hundreds of hits on a BB and do ZERO shell damage.  However, Alsace makes up for it by keeping the other BB in a constant state of fire.

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,863 battles

I agree. I wasted 1,000 doubloons testing IFHE on the Alsace's secondaries.  A total waste of time and doubloons in conducting training room tests.  So she is right where she needs to be.

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles
25 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

I agree. I wasted 1,000 doubloons testing IFHE on the Alsace's secondaries.  A total waste of time and doubloons in conducting training room tests.  So she is right where she needs to be.

I thought about doing that by respec and incorporating IFHE, but anything to reduce the fire chance just seemed dicey.  9% & 12% fire chance on Republique is nice.  Cooking stuff up like a French Chef would!

b168564bbb800d9b13383678ff397e56.jpg

I wonder what German Secondary fire chances were around these tiers before they lost it in favor of reliable shell damage.  IIRC it came about the same time German Cruisers got the HE Pen Buff, as a lot of weapons overlapped.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles

I find the guns on Republique to be acceptably accurate and they hit hard. I don't even run the aiming system on it; instead going for SBM2. I think it is the 8 guns so 4 fewer shells per salvo that throws people off. You have 33% fewer shells to hit with vs a 12 gun BB. 

Find the armor very good as well. It is at range where it seems most prone to taking the big hits.  In close it is very strong. I have only died 1 time in my 13 games in it. Was angling to brawl a GK in close and the enemy Republique took me out from almost full health with 1 salvo from max range even though the GK's guns were doing nothing to me. Guess I was giving a nice juicy broadside to it while focusing too much on the GK and bots will punish you if you make a mistake just as fast as a human will. I went POOF! LOL Only other big hit I have taken in the ship was another long range hit where I thought I was angled properly but guess not and a Montana paddled me for about 50% of my health. In close fighting even if they get you in a bad spot that heavy belt turns shot very well even from Yamato. I take more damage usually from HE than AP. Constant HE Spam just wrecks you as do fires.

Play it like a German BB. You have the same kind of armor (sort of) and secondary guns that are as good (better IMO) as the GK's. Get in close and the secondary guns will wreck stuff and you won't miss with your 8 guns. Throw in some angle to your adversary and you are very tanky.

Of course I am a PVE main so this playstyle is easier to do in Co-op than Random where people don't like to get closer to each other than max range LOL. The Republique is an in your face brawler not a long distance sniper.

• Cool 1