Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pugilistic

Shell Splash Change

21 comments in this topic

[KRK]
Members
1,079 posts
14,099 battles

In the newest patch, the effect of shell splashes degrading visibility of the ship they are splashing around has been reduced. Apparently, there was widespread consternation that something that obscured the target, well, obscured the target. Also, the ships that benefited from this most were the smallest ships, destroyers, and we just can’t have that. 

I have to report that there has been a hack to this reduced visibility all along. It is called patience. Wait about three seconds and lo, the ship is seen again. The chance of the target breaking detection is small since the context in which this occurs is when a ship is being targeted by multiple enemies. 

This was unnecessary, and just another removal of  a realistic effect. Please, WG, don’t try to turn this game into a test of the players reflexes. There are plenty of those around. 

• Cool 5

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles

Never saw a problem with the old shell splashes.  Rather liked them actually, even if the target was obscured some.  Shell splashes tend to do that.  Added a bit of atmosphere.

Oh, well.

Keep catering, WG...

• Cool 3

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I love this change (good job WG) - prior to this change DDs and even some CAs were impossible to see  when splashes kept them obscured from view. Not just for a couple seconds, because there'd be new splashes before the old splashes dissipated. Those of us that don't use mods, can't tell when an enemy ship changes speed or direction unless we can SEE the enemy ship. With so many splashes around them, in many cases it was impossible to tell whether the ship you're targeting has changed speed or direction.

Now we can once more.

Members
1,788 posts
5,664 battles

I think the changes were not needed. I want more realism not less. I think the Hermes session with the bad weather is great, best yet, but watch the crying about its to foggy I can't see the other ship.

• Cool 1

Members
2,503 posts
5,492 battles

If anything the shell splashes should be relational to HOW big the guns that shot them.   I mean if the splash is HUGE (like from a BB w/large caliber) it also obscures the DD captain's aiming  as well.   Either change it back to what it was OR make it in relation to the ships caliber. 

Second thoughts.....We are on the DD captains bridge. he see's small shell splashes..he thinks...not to worry..its some DD or cruiser with small caliber guns..

All of sudden a couple of HUGH shell splashs covers his vision....he thinks...OH SH*T its some BB with huge guns firing now.. Bring on the SMOKE NOW!!  RETREAT!.

Edited by dionkraft
  • Cool 1

Members
2,503 posts
5,492 battles
12 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

I think the changes were not needed. I want more realism not less. I think the Hermes session with the bad weather is great, best yet, but watch the crying about its to foggy I can't see the other ship.

Heh!  I think players who cry like that should let themselves be playing SPACE SHIP games...Atmospheric effects change the game demeanor and playstyle...something needed instead of the steady same old same old grind. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles

WORLD OF WARSHIPS! Finding solutions to problems that never existed!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Great idea. Just hold your fire for 3 seconds and hope nobody else shoots in that time.

Unless of course your reload time is roughly 4 seconds. Then you're cutting DPM by nearly 50%.  That's a sub optimal solution.

[KRK]
Members
1,079 posts
14,099 battles
16 hours ago, Grizley said:

Great idea. Just hold your fire for 3 seconds and hope nobody else shoots in that time.

Unless of course your reload time is roughly 4 seconds. Then you're cutting DPM by nearly 50%.  That's a sub optimal solution.

Can’t have anything keeping you from getting off an aimed shot at a target the instant you have another round chambered, even if it’s because of something that actually SHOULD block your vision. 

By your reasoning, let’s just be able to shoot through islands, and while we’re at it, remove range limitations altogether. 

Shell splashes, especially large caliber ones, should degrade vision of the target. So should multiple fires. Kinda borne out by WWII after action reports. 

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles

The new splashes suck. They look like they evaporate mid air like if something is jumping out of the water but not landing back down. 
@Radar_X

I know this was a requested change, but IMO it was one that was not needed and hurt the immersion of the game. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

Can’t have anything keeping you from getting off an aimed shot at a target the instant you have another round chambered, even if it’s because of something that actually SHOULD block your vision. 

By your reasoning, let’s just be able to shoot through islands, and while we’re at it, remove range limitations altogether. 

Shell splashes, especially large caliber ones, should degrade vision of the target. So should multiple fires. Kinda borne out by WWII after action reports. 

And torpedos shouldn't reload, and a CV strike should be an hours long action, and BBs should have a 1% hit rate, and DDs shouldn't be visible at at 6km in calm seas, and USN ships should have always on radar and aim assist.

Or you could realize this is a game.  

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

I liked the old splashes.  I dont think this change was needed -- nor do I recall anyone on this forum ever complaining about it (did I miss the daily new topics on splash obscuring targets?)  I like the obscuration effect -- although ultimately the only real effect is to make me hold my trigger pull for a sec or two until splash obscuration disappears.  

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,209 posts
7,396 battles

People cite realism.  Remember that this game is time compressed.  If the reload, shell flight time, and ship speed are all time compressed, then the shell splash also has to be time compressed to affect the targeting the same way.  That means the splash needs to dissipate much faster than it would according to real physics.  The reduction may seem unrealistic, but is probably more in line with time compressed reality than it was before.

• Cool 1

Members
1,309 posts
21,118 battles

After playing with the changes for a while, I really don't see much of a difference.  The splashes may not be as high, but they seem mistier, which is just as obscuring.  I thought they were fine and didn't need to be reduced in the first place.

Do wish they had:

1.)  Colored shell splashes for each ship, per ww2 history, captains choice of dye color

2.)  Bigger shells, bigger splashes

3.)  Bigger rooster tails for the ships that should have them, which is probably most of them

The storm waves in the Hermes op look awesome, by the way, and the bow waves and wakes are a big improvement too.

Members
559 posts
2,431 battles
10 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

Yep, and the target with his binocular view shouldn't be able to see past his nose, either. The big splashes were realistic, but did really counterindicate concentrating fire on a target. And the DD with shells raining down in the water all around him, because he's dodging them all, can see perfectly to shoot out. The change was deserved. Big splashes, we'll miss you.

Oh, and the island thing. There are times when I could shoot over an island, as indicated by the collision icon in the targeting system, but the ship itself is obscured from view so I can't possibly line up the angle of elevation. Using a spotter plane of course changes the view angle allowing me to see the ship, but I just can't hit anything in the spotter plane view. I've quit using spotters and switched to AA fighters. 

And what should really be removed, is not range limitations, but the absurd spotting distances. The whole "spotting" mechanic is unmitigated bogosity. Nice try, though.

[KRK]
Members
1,079 posts
14,099 battles
10 hours ago, Grizley said:

And torpedos shouldn't reload, and a CV strike should be an hours long action, and BBs should have a 1% hit rate, and DDs shouldn't be visible at at 6km in calm seas, and USN ships should have always on radar and aim assist.

Or you could realize this is a game.  

I would be ok with this;. I used to play Harpoon.  

So I would love an accurate simulator WoWS 2

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
On 2/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, Umikami said:

WORLD OF WARSHIPS! Finding solutions to problems that never existed!

Modern Game Dev logic: If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
15 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

I would be ok with this;. I used to play Harpoon.  

So I would love an accurate simulator WoWS 2

That's fine, but this is not it. It never will be.

A realistic WW2 naval simulator can only be good gameplay in single player.  Nobody wants to wait for 8 hours as someone flies a CV strike.  We have jobs, lives, families and responsibilities.

Members
18,282 posts
5,224 battles
19 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

Oh, and the island thing. There are times when I could shoot over an island, as indicated by the collision icon in the targeting system, but the ship itself is obscured from view so I can't possibly line up the angle of elevation. 

You can. With practice and experience, when you know how far away the target is, you have a pretty good idea of how far below the marker the hull is.

Sign in to follow this