Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ILLKILLA206

BB's Strategy

32 comments in this topic

Members
474 posts
10,451 battles
12 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

But this requires BBs to also pay attention and put down fire accordingly. Otherwise they lose their flankers and then are up that creek without a paddle.

Honest to god so many times I've seen BBs in too many big gun duels, ignoring the team dying around them, then wonder why the rest of us run. I've seen BBs with PERFECT kill shots on cruisers and totally ignore them to shoot at an angled BB.

I can give plenty of situations where BBs would just PAY ATTENTION, they could do a lot more.

Want a screen or flankers. Fine I'll do it. But when I start calling for support or covering fire, might want to heed that call. Can't help if I'm dead or so beaten up I have to break off to save my ship and I'm no longer combat effective on the front lines.

Too many times I get left with my tail in the breeze.

Your right, but are there ways for cruisers to use islands and range to take less risks though sometimes? Ie, serve the purpose but not be so directly in the line of fire ?

its a geometry puzzle to understand who can shoot and who cannot based on the path taken.

When watching competitive play it is assumed no one will miss shots so somehow the players use their position to reduce the fire they take either by manipulating range or line of sight, and it’s not all about hiding behind islands 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 minute ago, Visidious said:

Your right, but are there ways for cruisers to use islands and range to take less risks though sometimes? Ie, serve the purpose but not be so directly in the line of fire ?

its a geometry puzzle to understand who can shoot and who cannot based on the path taken.

When watching competitive play it is assumed no one will miss shots so somehow the players use their position to reduce the fire they take either by manipulating range or line of sight, and it’s not all about hiding behind islands 

That's where the Battle Cruisers (and fast Battleships) come in. Heavy firepower and speed to assist pushing through a flank to regain position on the BBs in the middle. 

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,459 battles
6 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I do hide behind islands at times, but many times that takes me out of firing range, especially at mid tiers meaning if I want to be in the fight, I'm out in open waters.

It's a two way street. Can't provide me cover, I can't provide you cover. That simple.

And frankly I'm done sticking my neck out for BBs that scream for a screen, then flatly ignores them.

Because here's something BBs flatly refuse to understand. Especially in the opening minutes of the game. Who supports who is a fluid and changing thing.

First ships that really need support are DDs trying to take caps and get spotting going. BBs have to realize and support those initial assaults. I know. Many times BBs can't be there off the bat, but once they are, BBs SHOULD be focusing on supporting the advance. Once time goes on, yes things switch gears and BBs become the ships that need more support, but that doesn't mean BBs go tunnel vision and forget the team.

That's a problem. BBs think they are the show at all times when in all actuality they are the best support ships, especially early on.

Some proper support from a BB early on, hitting the targets that can attrit the other team can literally turn the tide in your teams favor.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
4 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I do hide behind islands at times, but many times that takes me out of firing range, especially at mid tiers meaning if I want to be in the fight, I'm out in open waters.

It's a two way street. Can't provide me cover, I can't provide you cover. That simple.

And frankly I'm done sticking my neck out for BBs that scream for a screen, then flatly ignores them.

Because here's something BBs flatly refuse to understand. Especially in the opening minutes of the game. Who supports who is a fluid and changing thing.

First ships that really need support are DDs trying to take caps and get spotting going. BBs have to realize and support those initial assaults. I know. Many times BBs can't be there off the bat, but once they are, BBs SHOULD be focusing on supporting the advance. Once time goes on, yes things switch gears and BBs become the ships that need more support, but that doesn't mean BBs go tunnel vision and forget the team.

That's a problem. BBs think they are the show at all times when in all actuality they are the best support ships, especially early on.

Some proper support from a BB early on, hitting the targets that can attrit the other team can literally turn the tide in your teams favor.

Most BBs I've seen have no "transition game" for example, they don't support a Flanking push and return to the center. Or they over push a flank and get "caught out" when it collapses. 

Those few that do know and have a "transition game plan" tend to be the better BB players online. Or main Cruisers or DDs.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,459 battles
1 minute ago, Ivlerlin said:

Most BBs I've seen have no "transition game" for example, they don't support a Flanking push and return to the center. Or they over push a flank and get "caught out" when it collapses. 

Those few that do know and have a "transition game plan" tend to be the better BB players online. Or main Cruisers or DDs.

What I try to do when I do sail in a BB. I try to play faster BBs that can support a push. I also tend to ignore enemy BBs unless I have nothing else to shoot at. I try to be attentional. Take out cruisers and if I have a shot DDs. Faster you can take guns out of the game, the better. Then I can deal with other enemy BBs.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,095 posts
6,258 battles

I always played aggressively, my Iowa stats bear that out.....40%ish WR but decent damage. I finished the Mo grind, cashed in my FXP and surpisingly......same problem but WORSE First 50 games had a sub 40% WR lol! So, I changed my play style to passive aggressive......camp it up at the start, get an island to hide a flank and wait for the ships to spread out, see where the flow is going. Snipe for a bit, pick up a cit or two on silly people who show their sides, use my concealment and speed to get to the front that is moving forward and then help push....careful to keep an island handy to cover a flank. Suddenly Im winning 4 of 5 games in Mo night after night, WR up to 47%.....all due to being passive for the first 5 minutes.

At least half of the DD's are dead by then....run out and do something stupid and then come on the forums and say how useless BB players are.

BB's arent the idiots trying to be the first to die. Baring CV's, DD's are the most important ship on the map and the team with the most DD's left at the 10 minute mark will likely win, but you cant tell DD players to stop rushing.

Cant fix stupid.....

• Cool 2

Members
661 posts
8,754 battles

I think alot of bb players are passive because often they listen to their team and push and get left behind and die or because dds often don't scout ahead and go damage farming just like every class does. In the end, this game is just about predicting when to push and be aggressive, something I have issues with sometimes compared to the vets and unicum of my clan. Though there's good pushing in tanking and then there's being dumb like pushing into a crossfire situation.

Sign in to follow this