Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ILLKILLA206

BB's Strategy

32 comments in this topic

[FIB]
Members
6 posts
1,863 battles

Match after match, even if we are running down the enemy team. All they do is sit back and shoot from the back of the map. Not everyone of course but most from what I'm seeing. Get in the fight, do something. I really don't know if the player base if big enough but it sure would be nice if there was a single player rating that matched you to people of your own caliber to play with instead of these "keyboard warriors" who are afraid to die in a video game. I took a yr off of this game after going hard when it came out and the issue seems to be way worse then before. Its really Irritating to be pushing the enemy team back and look behind you to where the was 2 bb's and a cruiser to notice they have turned around and head back to the start and huddled up behind some rock leaving you to take on 3 ships by yourself when originally you had them outnumbered. Thoughts?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

You do realize what the average player skill is without regard to what ship type they play don't you?

• Cool 1

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles

You people ever think it's not only BB's doing this ? I've been in plenty of matches move up to support and you cruisers and DD's hauling [edited]the other way because ONE red blip is on the map, or a cruiser or DD ignoring their counterpart who is closing in on me  because you want to burn down that BB at max range, how about looking at the big picture and maybe think about how the campaigns and missions make those people play selfishly..

Edited by khorender_1
  • Cool 1

[TSFR]
Members
15 posts
6,164 battles

Torpedoes, lack of speed, especially pre tier 6-7(8 for US) all keep the BBs in the back. Also if 2+ peeple leming training after 1 ship to the far corner of the map that is just as bad as 2+ people YOLO and dieing as it takes them out of the fight just the same.

I play BBs, i like to get up close and personal, but if the cruisers and DDs aren't screening/ spotting for me, there isn't much I can do but turn around and try to find cover, because 3-6 ships are shooting at me that i have little hope of damaging or even spotting in a lot of cases.

Cruisers and DDs are faster, w/ better concealment and easier time to deal with DDs and dodge torps. Its your job to screen the BBs. 

• Cool 3

[FIB]
Members
6 posts
1,863 battles

I know that it is more than just bb's. Hell I watched a dd go around the outside of the map and just sit there, not eyeing for us or anything. Whole time he was barking orders. when he finally came out of hiding he was he was killed in 2 barrages. I know I'm a pretty aggressive player and it does bite me in the [edited]sometimes. However now it seems like every match half the team is cowards. So This is not just about bb's I see it all across the boards as I play all ship and been playing BB last few days.

[TMS]
Members
1,735 posts
22,088 battles
27 minutes ago, ILLKILLA206 said:

Match after match, even if we are running down the enemy team. All they do is sit back and shoot from the back of the map. Not everyone of course but most from what I'm seeing. Get in the fight, do something. I really don't know if the player base if big enough but it sure would be nice if there was a single player rating that matched you to people of your own caliber to play with instead of these "keyboard warriors" who are afraid to die in a video game. I took a yr off of this game after going hard when it came out and the issue seems to be way worse then before. Its really Irritating to be pushing the enemy team back and look behind you to where the was 2 bb's and a cruiser to notice they have turned around and head back to the start and huddled up behind some rock leaving you to take on 3 ships by yourself when originally you had them outnumbered. Thoughts?

Yes it's getting worse in my opinion.

[USCC2]
Members
3,571 posts
25 minutes ago, ILLKILLA206 said:

Stop expecting others to play as you want them to and just look at your own play. The game may not have played out as you thought it would but if you went forward with no support, or turned around to find you were on your own then sorry, that's your own lack of awareness.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,571 posts
3,751 battles

My ship's range is 20.5 km . Its obvious WG wants me to play at those ranges, otherwise why would God... er Wargaming bestow upon us such firing ranges. :Smile_teethhappy:

On a more serious note, it depends on which BB is where. I wouldn't push a Gneisenau in a Nagato for example since I would hand all my advantages to my opponent.

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
45 minutes ago, ILLKILLA206 said:

...it sure would be nice if there was a single player rating that matched you to people of your own caliber to play with instead of these "keyboard warriors"

You (or I for that matter) probably wouldn't see much difference.

Sure, some of the ones you complain about are dedicated "snipers", but possibly you're pushing at an inopportune time, and many BB players will move in when they, and not you, think the time is right.

Note I'm only guessing here based on your BB survival rate. I've never seen you play, 

Edited by Skpstr

[TSFR]
Members
15 posts
6,164 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

On a more serious note, it depends on which BB is where. I wouldn't push a Gneisenau in a Nagato for example since I would hand all my advantages to my opponent.

Funny, I killed a lot of Gneisenaus in my Nagato up close. Don't discount the Nagato's secondaries they are actually quite good.  Once in range,  I feel they are better then the Gneisenaus.  If you can dodge her torps she is easy meat.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,571 posts
3,751 battles
Just now, OG_Dester said:

Funny, I killed a lot of Gneisenaus in my Nagato up close. Don't discount the Nagato's secondaries they are actually quite good.  Once in range,  I feel they are better then the Gneisenaus.  If you can dodge her torps she is easy meat.

Not saying you cant, but provided the Gneis is smart he starts the engagement with a bit of an advantage.

[FIB]
Members
6 posts
1,863 battles
14 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Stop expecting others to play as you want them to and just look at your own play. The game may not have played out as you thought it would but if you went forward with no support, or turned around to find you were on your own then sorry, that's your own lack of awareness.

I am not wanting other players to play my way. You cant deny that a lot of players are playing the avoid everything just to stay alive till the end of match tactic.  I agree there are legit snipers out there. However I look at the team stats at the end of the match 95% of the time those players while still alive have way less xp then players who have died and have no ship kill but have cause 50-80k damage. True snipers are far and few. I admitted that sometime My actions get me in trouble and I am lvl headed enough to blame myself in those instances.  To sit here and say that my comments are out of line and that I am wanting other people play my way is nuts, its pretty bad on the water right now,

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
3 minutes ago, OG_Dester said:

See that's why I like playing Gneisenau.  Because she generally comes out on top when you get in close.

I had this exact situation come up this weekend.  Except I was in my Gneisenau and closed with a Nagato and New Mexico simultaneously.  Killed them both.  I will admit though, I was sweating a bad hit from those Nagato guns the whole time.

[USCC2]
Members
3,571 posts
10 minutes ago, ILLKILLA206 said:

I am not wanting other players to play my way. You cant deny that a lot of players are playing the avoid everything just to stay alive till the end of match tactic.  I agree there are legit snipers out there. However I look at the team stats at the end of the match 95% of the time those players while still alive have way less xp then players who have died and have no ship kill but have cause 50-80k damage. True snipers are far and few. I admitted that sometime My actions get me in trouble and I am lvl headed enough to blame myself in those instances.  To sit here and say that my comments are out of line and that I am wanting other people play my way is nuts, its pretty bad on the water right now,

:Smile_amazed: Nuts lol, ok, my apologies then, as I thought you were complaining because some ships were not doing what you believed they should. Above you admit running to their stats to confirm........what? Your own thoughts on how they played?

If they have good stats do you forgive them? If they have bad stats do you put it down to bad play and not playing the way you expect....oh no, sorry, you have already stated that you don't expect them to play how you think they should. Why do you do it then?

For me it isn't worth worrying about; personally I am happy if a team gels and works well together and meh if they don't, it's the game. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,734 battles

after looking a bit at your profile................

your survival rate is very low

very very low

this indicates that you don't know when you should turn around and disengage

note that disengage =/= avoid battle

there are situations that favour you/your enemy, your job is to run when situation doesnt favour you, and fight your enemies when it does

Edited by jason199506

[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles
1 minute ago, jason199506 said:

after looking a bit at youre profile................

your survival rate is very low

very very low

this indicates that you don't know when you should turn around and disengage

note that disengage =/= avoid battle

there are situations that favour you/your enemy, your job is to run when situation doesnt favour you, and fight your enemies when it does

+1

Was going to say this.

If you want a game where everyone goes full forward and guns a blazing, coop/operations are ideal. Human players are much more risk averse than bots and also will play with far more strategy. And while some battleships definitely are "sit in back and snipe" the alternative isn't only "yolo rush and die."

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

As much as I hate passive play, for the most part I know it's my personal play that is causing me issues when I notice "lack of support" in some ships I can get away with it. But in 21knt Dreadnoughts.. Not so much. 

During matches that my goal is to "increase survivability percentage" I try to be less aggressive. But if I'm too far away to land shots against my counterparts; that's a telltale sign I must position more aggressively. 

The saying "pulling your own weight" is a very important one when opting for a more passive approach. IF your unable to do your ship's HP in damage; you're not effectively positioning to best assist your team. It's a sign that next match you need to be more aggressive in posture. 

[DPG]
Members
896 posts
4,435 battles
2 hours ago, khorender_1 said:

You people ever think it's not only BB's doing this ? I've been in plenty of matches move up to support and you cruisers and DD's hauling [edited]the other way because ONE red blip is on the map, or a cruiser or DD ignoring their counterpart who is closing in on me  because you want to burn down that BB at max range, how about looking at the big picture and maybe think about how the campaigns and missions make those people play selfishly..

It doesn't really matter.  If you're in a CA or CL you're getting blapped no matter what you do.  Broadside or not.  There is zero reward for pushing.  It doesn't matter how many BBs are pushing with you.  Those enemy BBs will hold their wad and take you out.  It's not fun, so there really isn't much incentive to be cannon fodder.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
2 hours ago, OG_Dester said:

Torpedoes, lack of speed, especially pre tier 6-7(8 for US) all keep the BBs in the back. Also if 2+ peeple leming training after 1 ship to the far corner of the map that is just as bad as 2+ people YOLO and dieing as it takes them out of the fight just the same.

I play BBs, i like to get up close and personal, but if the cruisers and DDs aren't screening/ spotting for me, there isn't much I can do but turn around and try to find cover, because 3-6 ships are shooting at me that i have little hope of damaging or even spotting in a lot of cases.

Cruisers and DDs are faster, w/ better concealment and easier time to deal with DDs and dodge torps. Its your job to screen the BBs. 

And it's your job to keep said screen ALIVE. Too many times I try to screen for a BB, I am being shot at left right and center and the BBs are just doing their own thing, no cover fire what so ever.

Want me to screen, it's in your best interest to get off your tail and help keep me alive instead of doing the big gun wet dream duel.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,751 battles
2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

while some battleships definitely are "sit in back and snipe" the alternative isn't only "yolo rush and die."

Possibly the most misunderstood concept in the game.

10 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

keep me alive instead of doing the big gun wet dream duel.

LOL +1

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
11 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

And it's your job to keep said screen ALIVE. Too many times I try to screen for a BB, I am being shot at left right and center and the BBs are just doing their own thing, no cover fire what so ever.

Want me to screen, it's in your best interest to get off your tail and help keep me alive instead of doing the big gun wet dream duel.

This.

It's not about barging your way into point-blank range, so that the enemy can't help but shoot you instead of your squishier teammates. (although if that works for you, more power to you)

It's about getting close enough to lay down effective fire so that the enemy has to choose between killing your squishy buddies, or surviving the engagement.

Your squishies are going to be shot at regardless, they're too important/annoying/juicy for most to ignore. The idea isn't to prevent them from taking any fire, it's to prevent them from taking too much fire, which you do by making the enemy pay dearly for remaining close enough to effectively fire at your teammates.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Got out of your Zoom ,watch the mini map, don't push so fast ,Communicate your intentions, Ask for help before you run off, If you need to retreat protect that big fat a$$ BB you guided into a trap. That BB is your team and deserves a team that won't run and leave him to die when the enemy shows up. I see posts like this and only see a coward who looks for excuses. Get real or find another game where you don't have to be a team player.

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,270 battles

I like the idea of cruisers using flanks and cover while BB take a more direct path so enemies are forced into a cross fire situation where they end up exposing broadside to the BBs to engage the cruisers / flush them out of cover or if they engage the BB the cruisers can max range HE spam and provide some spotting and DD deterance.

i think spatial awareness and cross fire are not widely used 

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
13 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I like the idea of cruisers using flanks and cover while BB take a more direct path so enemies are forced into a cross fire situation where they end up exposing broadside to the BBs to engage the cruisers / flush them out of cover or if they engage the BB the cruisers can max range HE spam and provide some spotting and DD deterance.

i think spatial awareness and cross fire are not widely used 

But this requires BBs to also pay attention and put down fire accordingly. Otherwise they lose their flankers and then are up that creek without a paddle.

Honest to god so many times I've seen BBs in too many big gun duels, ignoring the team dying around them, then wonder why the rest of us run. I've seen BBs with PERFECT kill shots on cruisers and totally ignore them to shoot at an angled BB.

I can give plenty of situations where BBs would just PAY ATTENTION, they could do a lot more.

Want a screen or flankers. Fine I'll do it. But when I start calling for support or covering fire, might want to heed that call. Can't help if I'm dead or so beaten up I have to break off to save my ship and I'm no longer combat effective on the front lines.

Too many times I get left with my tail in the breeze.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this