You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

So whats the word on Abruzzi?

54 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,878 posts
4,757 battles

With her "impending" release, I was curious...has she been buffed...or downtiered? 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

Probably still bad. Cruisers don't get the same treatment as our Battleship overlords.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

It's going to be another case of "LOOK, KIDS, IGNORE THE FLAWS - FOCUS ON THE CANDY CANE STRIPING. OOOOO! LOOK AT THE PAINT!" Italian premium, and that just will not fly anymore. I've been burned/semi burned twice, and will not be suckered in a third time (Roma isn't bad, but it's not great, either; Duca is dumb). 

[HINON]
7,267 posts
2,029 battles

Nothing has changed, so as of now she's just trash. I'm sure as hell not going to touch her as-is.

She's overtiered, for some reason her shells have worse characteristics than d'Aosta's despite being exactly the same, and her armor belt is punished because WG doesn't model decapping and didn't compensate her like they (kind of) compensated Roma for it.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,830 battles
28 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

It's going to be another case of "LOOK, KIDS, IGNORE THE FLAWS - FOCUS ON THE CANDY CANE STRIPING. OOOOO! LOOK AT THE PAINT!" Italian premium, and that just will not fly anymore.

So far we have three Italian premiums. One is overperforming to almost ridiculous levels, one is only second to Richelieu, who's performance will normalize once it gets into the hands of more people and one is middle-of-the-pack. I wonder just how amazing a ship has to be before you're happy ....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,145 posts
17,811 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

So far we have three Italian premiums. One is overperforming to almost ridiculous levels, one is only second to Richelieu, who's performance will normalize once it gets into the hands of more people and one is middle-of-the-pack. I wonder just how amazing a ship has to be before you're happy ....

I obviously can't speak on the Abruzzi (or the Roma for that matter).  But as a general rule, I like for premiums (heck, really all ships) to feel like their guns are relatively consistent.  They don't have to be spectacular.  Just that they mostly go where I aim.  Right now, for example, the Dunkerque just doesn't fit that description, while other premium BBs, like the Arizona, Tirpitz, and Alabama, feel like they do.

I know that this is a thread on the Abruzzi, but the Dunkerque just feels really difficult to do well in.  Maybe it's meant to be a brawler, but it doesn't feel like a brawler with her speed and relatively uninspiring armor.  (Also, why in the hell is she a tier 6 ship?  Maybe she was put there before the entire line was put together, but the Dunkerque historically feels like she should be at tier 7 ... with any necessary enhancements to her performance.   But at this point, I doubt that we'd see that happen.)

[TBOW]
Members
1,263 posts
10,726 battles

How about it doesn't have to over perform, but at least perform similarly to the others in it's tier.  That seems like a reasonable request.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,392 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

It's going to be another case of "LOOK, KIDS, IGNORE THE FLAWS - FOCUS ON THE CANDY CANE STRIPING. OOOOO! LOOK AT THE PAINT!" Italian premium, and that just will not fly anymore. I've been burned/semi burned twice, and will not be suckered in a third time (Roma isn't bad, but it's not great, either; Duca is dumb). 

Are you high?  Roma is great.  I can't wait until I get fire prevention.  Playing Cesare is basically cheating at the game.

Maybe I'm just nutz but I like the Duca.  I like the speed and I think playing it first has ruined the French cruisers for me.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
36 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'm fine with Roma, but she's seriously flawed.

But I don't have to love the Duca - the torpedoes are dumb, the guns are weak, and while the bow armor is a little trollish, she's still a gigantic hullform that gets shot to pieces the moment someone gets an even remotely decent angle. There are a lot of cruisers I like - including some (like Molotov) which are even more vulnerable to shellfire than d'Aosta - but the Italian isn't one of them.

I up and forgot about Ceasare. I don't really play mine much, but yes, it's OP as hell.

Frankly, I am perplexed as to why you have taken an obviously personal tilt on an opinion I was expressing regarding my own tastes.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
2 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Are you high?  Roma is great.  I can't wait until I get fire prevention.  Playing Cesare is basically cheating at the game.

Maybe I'm just nutz but I like the Duca.  I like the speed and I think playing it first has ruined the French cruisers for me.

Roma is fine until:

A) your teammates get popped and you find yourself having to turn.

B) you run into a carrier.

SUPER C) you run into a carrier with AP bombs.

D) you're expected to blow up a cruiser closing from within 8 km.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,392 battles

That's like any BB, especially Tirpitz.  It took me a long time to learn that ship.  I don't really fear carriers any more.  Roma I play just like the Amagi, but for whatever reason, it feels more comfy to drive.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,830 battles
3 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I'm fine with Roma, but she's seriously flawed.

Yup. Still manages to perform to a pretty damn good level though. Wouldn't be good for the game if it didn't have flaws, to off-set its strengths.

4 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

But I don't have to love the Duca - the torpedoes are dumb, the guns are weak, and while the bow armor is a little trollish, she's still a gigantic hullform that gets shot to pieces the moment someone gets an even remotely decent angle. There are a lot of cruisers I like - including some (like Molotov) which are even more vulnerable to shellfire than d'Aosta - but the Italian isn't one of them.

Entirely agreed. Not a fan of it myself.

4 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Frankly, I am perplexed as to why you have taken an obviously personal tilt on an opinion I was expressing regarding my own tastes.

It's just that "Oh oh it's another shiny candy cane camo ship and ignore the flaws and that just isn't acceptable" sounds entirely elitist when we're talking about a trio of ships of which one is literally middle of the pack, one is seriously competitive and one is OP as all hell. Hence me curious to know what your standards are for you to be happy with a premium ship.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
Just now, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

That's like any BB, especially Tirpitz.  It took me a long time to learn that ship.  I don't really fear carriers any more.  Roma I play just like the Amagi, but for whatever reason, it feels more comfy to drive.

Look, I'm not saying I hate Roma. I have something like 100 games in it now, and my solo WR is (or was) around 60% in it. I consider it a very good battleship. However, it's got some big, biiiiiiig problems that frequently put it in spots that aren't quite so uncomfortable for other ships. I daresay either a citadel drop or a slight AA buff is all that is needed, but the fact that she has both an 'LOL KILL ME' citadel and 'LOL BOMB ME AA' right now makes the ship rough a lot of the time.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

It's just that "Oh oh it's another shiny candy cane camo ship and ignore the flaws and that just isn't acceptable" sounds entirely elitist when we're talking about a trio of ships of which one is literally middle of the pack, one is seriously competitive and one is OP as all hell. Hence me curious to know what your standards are for you to be happy with a premium ship.

I'm not sure how I could be branded as elitist when I will be first to admit that my WR has been freefalling for like 4 months. I suck right now. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,830 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

ships. I daresay either a citadel drop or a slight AA buff is all that is needed

No way. She's already performing better than Kii, Tirpitz, Alabama etc. Buffing her from here would make her overperform.

[WUDPS]
4,878 posts
4,757 battles
31 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

don't listen to anything Lert says ever.  He is the definition of an elitist, always looking for people to put down.

1797586_1.jpg

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,286 posts
25,408 battles
47 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

don't listen to anything Lert says ever.  He is the definition of an elitist, always looking for people to put down.

As someone who has seen his posts as far back as WoT, I don't agree.  Blunt and grumpy.  Yes.  Just like a cat.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,392 battles

lolcatlol

what a boomer avatar.  He is more like a woman - butting in with unsolicited advice and acting indignant when you don't agree with him or call him out on being entitled and condescending.  

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,136 posts
7,663 battles
3 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

With her "impending" release, I was curious...has she been buffed...or downtiered? 

Nope and nope.  She remains as is for now. 

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Is there any hope of a reprieve? I can't speak to the Russian or European servers, but at least over here, her name is mud right now. This is not going to be a good seller.

[WUDPS]
4,878 posts
4,757 battles
9 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

*closing wallet* 

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,392 battles

I have a feeling Italian cruisers are going to be like Russian cruisers.  In other words, most of them will be terrible with one redeeming gimmick, until you get to the very top.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
Just now, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I have a feeling Italian cruisers are going to be like Russian cruisers.  In other words, most of them will be terrible with one redeeming gimmick, until you get to the very top.

I think they're going to be more like present-day American cruisers - with an enormous playstyle change most of the way down the line. The early ships will be virtually unarmored, very fast, unimpressively-gunned light cruisers; the later stuff will be heavy cruisers, most of which will carry more armor than anything short of a Des Moines. It's going to be a big, big shift.