You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Hermes operation

23 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,020 posts
8,259 battles

That new operation sounds like fun. Given the need of AA as well as good ship-to-ship combat, it seems most of the BBs and cruisers will be prime for it. I can see pensacola and maybe Fiji struggling since their MB effective range requires getting fairly close.

Think I'll alternate between Atlanta and KGV and Algerie, though Algerie's laughable AA may be a liability.

Especially curious how secondary-specced the bot GZ will be, heard it's very effective!

Beta Testers
1,329 posts
3,591 battles

okay this op is like operation ultimate frontier before it was nerfed plus torpedo soup. Tons of destroyers and torp ships in general. It's not doable for the average person I would say.

[PIZZA]
Supertester
918 posts
18,565 battles

Got 5 stars the 2nd time through it.  The keys seem to be killing the dd's and especially the cv.  We had a mix of bb's and cruisers, the atlanta seems to be popular in this.  Also, it is important to repair when the repair circle appears.

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
376 posts
9,551 battles

Don't bring the Pensacola as I watch them die very quick with normal player driving.

The key is kill the scout planes at J6/7 that spawn at the start.  They are T1 planes and about 10 of them.  Not everyone needs to go there.  If they are not killed you fight in the shade of planes.

Kill the DDs as soon as they are seen.  Walls of bot skill will kill the Richelieu before the game is half over if you don't.

The CV spawns in the NW and runs for the edge quickly.

[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles

I just felt the need to Free XP from Lyon to Richelieu for the OP, espicislly since the OP Rewards are Doubloons and I am trying to scrape together enough Doubloons for Graf Spee. Definately worth my doing the Operation.

Richelieu should have enough AA and secondary power to prove useful, plus it was needed for current French Campaign.

[TST]
Members
10 posts
2,301 battles
2 minutes ago, SansPeur said:

Don't bring the Pensacola as I watch them die very quick with normal player driving.

The key is kill the scout planes at J6/7 that spawn at the start.  They are T1 planes and about 10 of them.  Not everyone needs to go there.  If they are not killed you fight in the shade of planes.

Kill the DDs as soon as they are seen.  Walls of bot skill will kill the Richelieu before the game is half over if you don't.

The CV spawns in the NW and runs for the edge quickly.

Not always, there were at least 2 different versions of that on the PTS

Beta Testers
1,329 posts
3,591 battles

Two different target points one is a nightmare while the other is manageable if you have radar and hydro.

Members
1,788 posts
5,663 battles

Got 5 stars first time with my Atlanta, it was great the weather is fantastic the waves. Great upgrades. My Atlanta is full AA got 45 aircraft kills great upgrade WG. Love the new wakes to.:cap_rambo:

Members
968 posts
7,189 battles

An AA spec pensacola can work in the operation however the low rof and accuracy debuff means you need good aim.

[DAY]
Members
1,182 posts
11,759 battles

got 5star the 3rd time........

the key is to kill the graf zeppelin in time

"in time"

the stupid CV is coded to run for its life the exact moment it's spotted

the 3rd game i had to hop into my richelieu and yolo rush to kill the zeppelin to get the 5star, the first two times i was in a cruiser, and the operation always end right when our cruisers just barely get in range to shoot zeppelin

Members
1,864 posts
8,920 battles
12 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

the key is to kill the graf zeppelin in time

First you have to kill the DDs before they torp the Richileu. Not many people get that even if i tell them at the start.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,461 posts
2,405 battles
8 hours ago, Reymu said:

I can see pensacola and maybe Fiji struggling since their MB effective range requires getting fairly close.

Negative.  Experienced Hermes players rate them as the top two ship for this op.  Fortunately, with the thunderstorm, detection ranges are close.  The BBs just can't handle the DDs without cruisers, but Premium not required.  (Actually, I've seen Algerie die more than these, but small sample.)

7 hours ago, chewonit said:

Does the storm move, or static?

I never noticed.  There's not much free time. ;)  The description implies that it does.

8 hours ago, Reymu said:

Especially curious how secondary-specced the bot GZ will be, heard it's very effective!

I only got close enough to judge a couple of times and I think I did get some 2ndary fire.  But if the cruisers can get past the DD wall they can keep it spotted so it can be killed by massive gunfire.  :cap_rambo:  Even Bot Richelieu helps.

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,721 battles

Three times so far, not even one star. Yoloing cruisers... Giving me the sadz. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,461 posts
2,405 battles

Are you playing with totally randoms teams?  I know you guys don't yolo, well, much.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,461 posts
2,405 battles
17 hours ago, chewonit said:

Does the storm move, or static?

Yes, the storm does move.  This is a change from the PT. 

I suppose one could use it, but in Hermes you have to defer course to the Bot Richelieu, Ruan.  Curious to see how (or if) it is used when they apply it to battles.

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,465 battles

I got 5 stars on the first try (having BBs definitely help at the end)

HXguxCX.jpg

The lawls with Atlanta (It was a loss, but it was fun)
Having 7 cruisers definitely makes this operation much harder.

3EFvpco.jpg

[LUCK]
Members
1,306 posts
19,603 battles
4 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

3EFvpco.jpg

Wow. I had 84 plane kills with Atlanta. Someone else had 90 with Lyon.

Edit/Clarification: They were not in the same battle- someone else posted they got 90 with Lyon in separate operation attempt.

Edited by hofmannsc