You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aardvar

Renaming John Doe

165 comments in this topic

[D-DAY]
[D-DAY]
Members
61 posts
22,861 battles

The arrival of John Doe has irked many US players.  Recommend that WG rename John Doe to LCDR Ernest E. Evans,  a Medal of Honor winner on the USS Johnston, and commander of Taffy 3 at the Battle off Samar, the centermost action  of the Battle of Leyte Gulf.  The retained special skills are appropriate for a surface warrior.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I could understand people being irked by John Doe's arrival more if it wasn't replacing an actor with voice overs so bad that people had been requesting the option to disable it.

Also, if the USN is going to get a historical captain, I'd like for it to be obtained via a permanent campaign, like Yamamoto. Imagine if you didn't have Stevie, and they changed him to a captain you'd love to have, but now never will.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
Just now, Seadog_Supreme said:

They can call him Zap Branagan for all I care at this point. John Doe is the name for an anonymous corpse.

But would the voice actor agree too... but considering "he's dead to them" the name is fitting considering the circumstances that they terminated the character. 

More importantly I wonder how long John Doe will be John Doe, until a New Commander will be identified. 

[HINON]
Members
9,031 posts
4 minutes ago, centarina said:

WG doesn't care about NA or USN       this is just another example. 

Which is why the USN cruiser split will never happen  . . .

• Funny 1

Members
1,866 posts
3 minutes ago, centarina said:

I think they care, but just don't understand. Naval war heroes are not part of the culture of the country of origin.

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles
1 minute ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

I think they care, but just don't understand. Naval war heroes are not part of the culture of the country of origin.

That's quite wrong. The Russian navy has several heroes dating back to the 1700's.

[WGA]
Administrator
693 posts
251 battles

We've been monitoring feedback on this since it went to the Test server, but I'm afraid there are no plans to change John Doe at this time. 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 10

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
9 minutes ago, centarina said:

Yes, sure, this is why they have whooping 18 USN premium ships in game, including two tier 9 ships considered to be by many among most powerful ships in game.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Members
1,866 posts
2 minutes ago, The_Grand_One said:

That's quite wrong. The Russian navy has several heroes dating back to the 1700's.

Russia is not the country of origin. I think the collectivist influence is still strong.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
18 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

John Doe is the name for an anonymous corpse.

Actually that's wrong "John/Jane Doe" is just a way to say someone is unidentified. you don't have to be dead, the name is a placeholder.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I really don’t get this John Doe drama, I mean not a single soul except you can even see or know what is the name of the commander of your ship.  It’s easy enough to change his name and even picture to whatever your heart desires.  It’s more difficult to change the voice - but you don’t have to worry about that one no more.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Yes, sure, this is why they have whooping 18 USN premium ships in game, including two tier 9 ships considered to be by many among most powerful ships in game.

they care about money for sure.      revenue champs all 

Members
1,866 posts
1 minute ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Actually that's wrong "John/Jane Doe" is just a way to say someone is unidentified. you don't have to be dead, the name is a placeholder.

Very few live people are unidentified. You know the name for an anonymous corpse, don't you? Most homeless guys who die in the streets are unidentified; these are people we're talking about.

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles
4 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

We've been monitoring feedback on this since it went to the Test server, but I'm afraid there are no plans to change John Doe at this time. 

Really? You should seriously start making some, to be brutally honest... as many people have already mentioned, John Doe is the name given to dead bodies. And besides :

1. America doesn't lack for options to choose from when it comes to ww2 naval heroes, it wouldn't be too difficult to pick 1, although some people will always be unhappy and say you should have chose another captain... it would still be better than John Doe.

2. It's not like it would be extremely taxing to simply change a name, programming wise ( I think anyways I don't know anything about programming, but I'm assuming it's a relatively simple fix)

Anyways I didn't mean to come off as an A-hole, just trying to give some constructive criticism, after all everyone wins, you make the community happy by listening to their input, and you look good by listening to the community, and everyone is happy! ( Well ok I'm not that naïve there's always going to be a complainer)

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

I am totally fine with them changing the name, image and voice.  I would like the name to be changed, but I also understand that in the cases of most historic figures, there are actual legal rights involved in obtaining the use of their names and likenesses (ever read the end credits of most movies?) and it's not an easy process.

Yes, I'd love to see Burke, Spruance, Moosbrugger, Evans, McCain, Halsey, Fletcher, or any one of hundreds of other notables.  Prolly ain't gonna happen, though.  Not with a for-profit product.

-R

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, centarina said:

they care about money for sure.      revenue champs all 

How dare they?  What a horrible company...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,800 posts
15,249 battles
9 minutes ago, The_Grand_One said:

Those would be the very few Russian Captains who actually got into a fight and survived?

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Those would be the very few Russian Captains who actually got into a fight and survived?

Hey, who said a hero had to survive? In fact most don't, that's a big part of why they are heroes. :cap_rambo:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,800 posts
15,249 battles
1 minute ago, The_Grand_One said:

Hey, who said a hero had to survive? In fact most don't, that's a big part of why they are heroes. :cap_rambo:

Hey, I'm amazed because most Russian Captains weren't allowed to take their ships out of port, got them all wet and rusty.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
16 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Surely this has to be because WG hasn't settled on a good name to use. I can't imagine changing the name would take more than a few seconds.

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

Start an internet misinformation campaign so Chinese would believe the name John Doe is somehow connected to Taiwan Independence movement and WG will change it in no time.

• Funny 6

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,585 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

Hey, I'm amazed because most Russian Captains weren't allowed to take their ships out of port, got them all wet and rusty.

That's a kind of ignorant thing to say man... Although you could be right, depending on the time period you are referring to. But some periods of the Russian naval history were flush with battles and heroes, and other periods their ships sat in port and rotted, it really all depended on the czar's policies. But to state they just sat in port drunk for 400 years is really kind of a bad joke.

• Cool 1