You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Aslain mods & malware

20 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,112 posts
4,217 battles

I've been using Aslain's mods for almost a month now & find it very good. However when I go to download updates I get this malware that will self install. It has happened twice so far. While it is not all that difficult to remove it does take a little time. Does anyone else have this problem?

Please don't take this as an accusation against Aslain's mods. I'm attempting to find why I am getting this. I do not want anything on my PC that Malwarebytes tags as a threat.

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[HINON]
Members
9,035 posts

Sometimes the ads on the download site (not aslains itself) has malware that tries to look like the download link. As ducky_shot was highlighting, use the direct download link option just to the right of the normal link so you dont have to deal with that junk.

[SYJ]
Members
37 posts
5,638 battles

I have been using Aslain's forever in tank and warships now without problem.  As stated always use direct download.

[TDRB]
Members
1,112 posts
4,217 battles

I use the direct download links.

I understand using legitimate web sites as a means to spread malware is a problem. 

Again, I have no reason to assume anything bad about Aslain's download site. My problem could be a coincidental. If I am the only one or one of a few unlucky ones then I accept that but I thought I would see if anyone else had the same problem.

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,521 battles

Used Aslains forever with no issues.  However at least on of the download options he offers brings you to a website that at first glance offers you what you think it a download link.  Instead it is clickbait.  Basically they delay the start of the actual download by about 5-10 seconds which makes you believe you have to click the link to get it started. Then about the time you finally click the link thinking you need to do this to start the download, the delay ends and the actual file downloads making you think that actually clicking the link is what started the download.   I have seen this before so didn't fall for the trick but I can absolutely see how many people do.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,464 posts
2,405 battles

Bumping this since everyone will be getting it again -- eventually.

The 0.7.2 pack isn't up yet.  There are bugs to swat.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,464 posts
2,405 battles

Alsain's pack is up.

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
138 posts
22,788 battles

As stated above, the ad page that displays is all click bait. That is where the malware hides

To avoid it, look at the upper right corner of the web page. There is a counter that is counting down. Wait until it says "skip ad" - then click on it. Click NOTHING ELSE.

Your download will start automatically without malware.

[PSP]
Members
6,291 posts
8,915 battles

I tried Aslains once because I was curious to see what was in it. It took me an hour to rid my system of the scamware that was included with his download. There are better sites he can use to package and distribute his software. 

• Bad 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,464 posts
2,405 battles
54 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It took me an hour to rid my system of the scamware that was included with his download

NO.  There's none of that in his package.  It's all from the download (scam) sites.  (Apparently they pay him per click.)

On the d/l page of his site, there are four lines of d/l links.  The [direct] link at the end of each line is different from the rest of the line, and d/ls only his installer package.  That is what you want to use.

Otherwise, you might want to consider ad blockers like Adblock or Noscript to catch the buss sh!t before it gets to you.

[PSP]
Members
6,291 posts
8,915 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

NO.  There's none of that in his package.  It's all from the download (scam) sites.  (Apparently they pay him per click.)

On the d/l page of his site, there are four lines of d/l links.  The [direct] link at the end of each line is different from the rest of the line, and d/ls only his installer package.  That is what you want to use.

Otherwise, you might want to consider ad blockers like Adblock or Noscript to catch the buss sh!t before it gets to you.

I tend to avoid sites that fill their pages with hard-to-discern scamware download icons. There's really nothing in the package worth the hassle anyway.

Edited by Snargfargle

[TDRB]
Members
1,112 posts
4,217 battles

The last 2 updates downloaded without a hitch.

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,119 battles

ALWAYS use direct download. I suspect the adware downloads help pay for Aslain's website and server space. But he should find places they don't have malware or stuff that installs on a person's comp. My comp won't even let me visit the non-direct download section. Stops me and warns of malware.

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
470 posts
11,957 battles

Not sure that site has the funds to employ pro security but what he does do is put a hash on the file, if you run the SHA256 hash on the file you download it should be EXACTLY the same hash as he posts, 1 character off and the file is bogus, like others have posted only use the direct links.  Hash utilities are available at legitimate sites like Microsoft.

Beta Testers
52 posts
586 battles
On 2/28/2018 at 9:01 AM, kgh52 said:

I've been using Aslain's mods for almost a month now & find it very good. However when I go to download updates I get this malware that will self install. It has happened twice so far. While it is not all that difficult to remove it does take a little time. Does anyone else have this problem?

Please don't take this as an accusation against Aslain's mods. I'm attempting to find why I am getting this. I do not want anything on my PC that Malwarebytes tags as a threat.

The troubles of using mods..... instant Karma.  Look for the easy path and fall of the steady one. 

It's not hard really, aim...fire...yet people look for these free advantage tools and viola!!! Boogy men in the system.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,806 posts
4,086 battles
18 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

My comp won't even let me visit the non-direct download section. Stops me and warns of malware.

Reason I've never installed any of those mods.  

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles
1 hour ago, DethWolf said:

The troubles of using mods..... instant Karma.  Look for the easy path and fall of the steady one. 

It's not hard really, aim...fire...yet people look for these free advantage tools and viola!!! Boogy men in the system.

Aren't Aslain's all cosmetic and UI stuff?

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,119 battles
6 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Reason I've never installed any of those mods.  

It's not the mods. The direct download location works fine and the mods have no malware. It's the download location that ISN'T direct download that warns of malware.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,464 posts
2,405 battles
11 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Aren't Aslain's all cosmetic and UI stuff?

Pretty much.  I like the alternative gunsights, the big bright torp and detection warning icons, the ability to move the ship orientation display near the center, target direction lines on the mini-map, the crusty captains, the port carousel filter, the pre-battle composite display, and there are some ship skins that are cool but take a long time to d/l and install.  It's just a way of customizing the UI to your tastes.  And to me it helps my game by organizing data.

(There's even ship girls and ponies if you're so inclined.)