You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Got Alsace. Looks fun!

43 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles

With Update 7.2 and the release of the full French BB line I picked up Alsace this morning. Between the 4 I won/earned during the French BB event and now this one I have most of the line and only had to pay/grind for one LOL. Put the special French Capt (JJH) on it. Still need to do the modules (might try a secondary build to start?) but grabbed the ship and even got the perma camo as I don't sell T8+ ships. Looking forward to it.

3MyRdVC.jpg

AIS6ffI.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Between the 4 I won/earned during the French BB event and now this one I have most of the line and only had to pay/grind for one LOL. 

Do explain this statement to the rest of us. 

I myself received only ONE personal mission for a ship - the lowly Bretagne. Nothing came by crate, in fact, the well ran dry with regards to crates in total. When the final SEVEN crates dropped, I got flags. 

How is it then you managed to win/earn FOUR ships? You know, just curious. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Between the 4 I won/earned during the French BB event and now this one I have most of the line and only had to pay/grind for one LOL.

Well congrats again AdmiralThunder:Smile_honoring:, the only I have is Bretagne, which has been a lot of fun so I will be keeping her and hopefully I will get some more. If not I work the line up from 3 up.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,249 posts
12,800 battles

She's a beast. Congrats on getting the best ship in the line right at the start.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles
13 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Do explain this statement to the rest of us. 

I myself received only ONE personal mission for a ship - the lowly Bretagne. Nothing came by crate, in fact, the well ran dry with regards to crates in total. When the final SEVEN crates dropped, I got flags. 

How is it then you managed to win/earn FOUR ships? You know, just curious. 

I got all 4 missions from crates. What is so confusing? I won/earned (however you want to label it) Bretagne, Normandie, Lyon, and Richelieu. Had to do the missions themselves after getting the unlock pieces out of crates where you had to earn a little XP (think it was 10K/12K/14K/16K - but it could be stacked/done at the same time for multiple ships - so not really a "grind") each of course.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Angry 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles
8 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well congrats again AdmiralThunder:Smile_honoring:, the only I have is Bretagne, which has been a lot of fun so I will be keeping her and hopefully I will get some more. If not I work the line up from 3 up.

Bretagne is actually pretty good for a T5 BB. I mostly play T7-T10 BB's now so going back to the lower tier BB's can be painful but Bretagne wasn't too bad. I am keeping it for now. Why not just start at Bretagne and go for Normandie at T6 which is a good one? T3 and T4 BB's are seldom very good. You have a get out of jail free card - use it LOL.

3 minutes ago, Lert said:

She's a beast. Congrats on getting the best ship in the line right at the start.

Thanks. I actually like Lyon a LOT and hope this one is as much fun. It's stock though which always stinks. Especially higher tiers. Might gather up enough FXP to at least do the hull before trying it but we will see.

• Angry 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,249 posts
12,800 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks. I actually like Lyon a LOT and hope this one is as much fun.

Oh don't get me wrong. Lyon is a lot of fun. But, tier for tier? I think Alsace fits the meta better and is the more competitive ship. I wouldn't take a Lyon into competitive play, fun as she is.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
7 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I got all 4 missions from crates. What is so confusing? I won/earned (however you want to label it) Bretagne, Normandie, Lyon, and Richelieu. Had to do the missions themselves after getting the unlock pieces out of crates where you had to earn a little XP (think it was 10K/12K/14K/16K - but it could be stacked/done at the same time for multiple ships - so not really a "grind") each of course.

So you bough no crates? All four ships came by in-game crates? If so, your luck is indeed great. 

The rest of us will grind it seems. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles
Just now, Herr_Reitz said:

So you bough no crates? All four ships came by in-game crates? If so, your luck is indeed great. 

The rest of us will grind it seems. 

Never said I didn't buy any crates. Yes I bought a few. Got missions from bought and earned crates. What has that got to do with it?

• Angry 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Bretagne is actually pretty good for a T5 BB. I mostly play T7-T10 BB's now so going back to the lower tier BB's can be painful but Bretagne wasn't too bad. I am keeping it for now. Why not just start at Bretagne and go for Normandie at T6 which is a good one? T3 and T4 BB's are seldom very good. You have a get out of jail free card - use it LOL.

Well I planning to have an all French Fleet (except for some Premiums), I have the MN Cruisers from T3 up to 5 (have to re-buy the La Galissonnière) and the T6. So I am going to do the same with the French Battleships. If the French Destroyer Line comes out then I will start down a destroyer line.

Carriers ---- Well it depends on what is done to them, and if WG ever releases the Béarn. I cannot see a Full MN CV line, unless WG does a lot of paper-ships. I seem to have the most "luck" with the Marine Nationale, it may just be in my head but I do enjoy them so far.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,183 posts
14,610 battles

I tested her out with Secondary Build in Co-op just to get a feel.  I intend to switch builds and see how she acts.

Secondary Build is actually monstrous.

11.3km range with signal flag

BFT, AFT, Manual Secondaries

I even used both SBM2 & SBM3.

3 words about her secondaries:  VOLUME OF FIRE

The 100mm guns (12x2) are down to 2.2 second reloads.

The 152mm guns (3x3) are down to 8.6 second reloads.

You can see the secondaries layout here.

d9yA7CB.jpg

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
15 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Never said I didn't buy any crates. Yes I bought a few. Got missions from bought and earned crates. What has that got to do with it?

It's always nice to let other players know you bought some, got some from the in-game missions. Otherwise see, we all walk around thinking something's wrong with the game, that one player got four personal missions for ships while some got none or one. Nothing wrong with buying them at all. 

Thanks for the clarification, appreciated. 

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Modder, Beta Testers
1,502 posts
2,454 battles

Hopefully we will get a Contre-Torpilleur line at some point.  Imagine busting up a flank in Alsace div'd up with some Le Fantasque or Mogador cans.:cap_cool:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles

Well that didn't go well. 1st game was a loss. :Smile_sad::Smile_facepalm:

I didn't expect too many people at this time of day in a T9 Co-op and actually expected to be alone honestly. Was happy to see a human CV as my teammate. Unfortunately, he didn't listen to me when I suggested he head down my way by the A cap and to cover me with his fighters as I had the stock hull and an awful rudder shift so easy prey for planes. Help keep me, the only other human, alive LOL. Never saw a fighter over me or near me once while I was constantly attacked by the enemy strike planes.

Sure enough I ended up eating a 5 torp spread while trying to not get lolpenned by the enemy Alsace I was brawling, got nailed by some dive bombers after I took it out, and then just barely caught 1 torp on the nose that finished me before I could finish the enemy CV. Our CV made a valiant effort to pull it out but we lost on Points (the cap I got was taken after I died).

Not blaming the CV or anything here. Got too focused on the BB and didn't notice the torp plane coming in quick enough (secondary's going off so didn't notice the AA) so only missed a couple and ate most of them. So it is on me in the end.

Couple things I noted...

• Excellent secondary guns. I went with SBM2 and my Capt has BFT/AFT. 10.8km range and they fire a lot of shells fairly quick. Will keep SBM2 for a couple more games at least. Might try the AA module to see if it makes a huge difference?
  • AA is passable with just a Capt w/ BFT and AFT. Not great but not horrendous. 83 rating.
  • Main guns are meh. Went with MBM3 for the faster reload as I have JJH who's special skills are AR and EM. So turrets rotate quickly even with the penalty for the reload boost. Rotation speed is 33.6 sec. Dispersion is HORRENDOUS! The shells go every which way even at moderate range (like 10-14km - stats say I hit at 43% but it doesn't seem possible???). I had Cruisers dead to right broadside that in any other T9 BB would have been multiple citadels and dead. Damage seems to be poor when you do hit.
  • The Torpedo damage reduction of 46% works very good. I survived that 5 torp hit with about 35-40% of my health left. Fire, bombers, and that last stray torp are what did me in.
  • It is fast enough as is without the speed boost. Didn't even think about using it.
  • Need to get the B Hull for the extra HP, the big AA boost ( bumps it to 94), and the vastly improved Rudder Shift (drops it down to 13.3 sec w/ SGM2)

Overall It seems good and I am sure I will like it once fully upgraded. Disappointed in the 1st game loss but you can't win them all even in Co-op. LOL

W0doCn7.jpg

dZyUPEt.jpg

VChApsg.jpg

• Angry 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Well that didn't go well. 1st game was a loss. :Smile_sad::Smile_facepalm:

Thanks of the info, sucks that it had to be a loss. But like you cannot win them all.:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles
25 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thanks of the info, sucks that it had to be a loss. But like you cannot win them all.:Smile_honoring:

2nd game was almost a mirror of the 1st except in this one the CV kept fighters nearby to help cover me and we won. :cap_rambo:

• Angry 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

2nd game was almost a mirror of the 1st except in this one the CV kept fighters nearby to help cover me and we won. :cap_rambo:

Yeah this morning (before work) was hard one for me as well - lost three in a row with my Bretagne, all due to CVs. When I logged off I still had the 50% for yesterday on the Bretagne.

[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,863 battles

On the PTS, I swear the Alsace's main battery range was 25.6K. Am I remembering this incorrectly? Strange that Richelieu and Republique are at the 25K range, but not the Alsace. Is this a bug needed to be reported?

My Richelieu and Alsace share same Captain build/module layout for secondary build. 

shot-18.02.28_17.16.35-0211.jpg

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,522 battles

Was really excited about Alsace until I got her.  So far pretty disappointed.  Now granted I am just starting the stock grind but OMG is the dispersion on the guns bad.  Complete fricken shotguns of the worst order.  Was going to go for a secondary build so bought the upgrade that increased the secondary range but it is very obvious that I am going to have to drop it in place of the aiming module.  Also the range is just abysmal.  18km and change stock and I think its like 20.4 km fully upgraded.  I have quite a few lower tier ships with this range so didn't really feel it was going to be that much of a disadvantage but at Tier 9 is is a huge disadvantage.  Maybe it will get better after I get it fully upgraded and get used to playing it but first impressions aren't good so far.

I guess part of the shock I am undergoing is that several of the Yourtube reviews indicated that there was no need for aiming module because the guns were accurate enough without them.  Makes me wonder if WG didn't significantly nerf the sigma day of release <sigh>.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Members
238 posts
3,531 battles

I love this ship. I have it fully upgraded. Had some good games tonight:

shot-18.02.28_19.48.24-0048.jpg

shot-18.02.28_21.29.55-0908.jpg

[ABDA]
Members
238 posts
3,531 battles

I was seconds away from a Kraken on the last game but my team was so horrible that they died before the shells landed for my fifth kill. Got negative karma in that game because some guy told he hated French people.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,183 posts
14,610 battles
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I was seconds away from a Kraken on the last game but my team was so horrible that they died before the shells landed for my fifth kill. Got negative karma in that game because some guy told he hated French people.

He's salty because he got owned by someone, made worse despite his team winnning.  Remember it.  Savor it.  The salty tears of people are half the point of the game and it is your duty to stuff their face in a sea of salt.

BavCo7g.gif

Leave nothing in your wake but tears, frustration, salt in your opponents.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,916 posts
10,708 battles
9 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Was really excited about Alsace until I got her.  So far pretty disappointed.  Now granted I am just starting the stock grind but OMG is the dispersion on the guns bad.  Complete fricken shotguns of the worst order.  Was going to go for a secondary build so bought the upgrade that increased the secondary range but it is very obvious that I am going to have to drop it in place of the aiming module.  Also the range is just abysmal.  18km and change stock and I think its like 20.4 km fully upgraded.  I have quite a few lower tier ships with this range so didn't really feel it was going to be that much of a disadvantage but at Tier 9 is is a huge disadvantage.  Maybe it will get better after I get it fully upgraded and get used to playing it but first impressions aren't good so far.

I guess part of the shock I am undergoing is that several of the Yourtube reviews indicated that there was no need for aiming module because the guns were accurate enough without them.  Makes me wonder if WG didn't significantly nerf the sigma day of release <sigh>.

Kind of my impression/feelings too. The guns are just so bad accuracy wise and frankly when they do hit the damage seems lacking as well. I don't place a lot of faith in reviews because so many times once I play a ship one of these so called "experts" deadpans I like it. I reserve my judgement until I play a ship and basically just watch those videos to see the new ships before we can get them or for simple entertainment (I don't even read the write ups as they are usually a waste of time). However, I saw one by Flamu on Alsace when I wanted to see the ship in action and he nailed it with the guns.

I have 4 games so far in Alsace and I have not got a single citadel hit. Not ONE and I can't count the number of flat broadside Cruisers I have shot at that in any of my other BB's (even KM) would be 1 shot dead with multiple citadek hits???:Smile_amazed:

I have managed to up my highest damage to 132K but I have not been able to do more than 1 Kill in a game yet. Only a 32% hit rate for the main guns and I am treating it like a KM BB where I close in so I can use the secondary build (which seems more accurate than the main guns). Heck, I have a 36% hit rate with FDG and it only has 8 guns.

The guns are just horribad accurate. I think I read/heard somewhere the sigma is 1.7 to make it "fair and balanced" because it is the only T9 BB to have 12 guns. Most BB have a 1.8 so 1.7 you wouldn't think would be that much worse but ugh it is just awful. Makes me wonder if it was coded as 0.7 or something? It's is as bad as Kaiser for god sake. Not even sure I will bother with the range upgrade as it can't hit anything with the pathetic 18km stock range. Extending it further will just make it worse. It struggles to hit at 10km.

I am keeping the secondary build because it is about the only way to deal damage. Get in so close that even these guns can't miss (although they sure as hell try hard to) and when that close the secondary guns are a big help. Unfortunately, the ship is not as tough as the Km BB's and gets beat up faster when you play a brawling role so it is a double edged sword.

Like you I was really excited for this one but have been disappointed. The guns suck. This is a definite candidate for a buff to the accuracy.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,183 posts
14,610 battles
9 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Main Battery performance at range, i.e. 16km+, I have found to be a common problem with French BBs.

Bretagne, Normandie, Lyon, Richelieu, and even Alsace.

Lyon gets away with it due to 16 Shotguns.  Alsace with 12 guns also, but up to a point.

IMO, in terms of main battery reliability at all practical ranges, IJN & USN BBs are still "it."  French BBs IMO, are like German BBs.  You need to get closer.  This starts becoming more apparent starting in Tier VIII.

I notice Richelieu has secondaries performance far outstripping USN & IJN.  I also noticed Richelieu doesn't like long range duels.  Just like a German BB.

Alsace is the same deal.  The secondaries are really strong but the guns, if RNG says "No" will fail you at range badly.  She makes up for it with 12 guns but it's still not as reliable compared to Iowa-class.

If there is one failing I have to say about Alsace are her 15" guns.  That size was barely passable at Tier VIII with Bismarck-class.  You deal with the same sh*t other 15" BBs deal with at high tier... Watching high tier Cruisers bow tank your AP with no problems as they charge you, etc.  You also don't quite have that punishing power, or more reliable damage that 16" or larger guns do.  With high tier USN BB AP, even against angled BBs, I can still land some pens, not so with 15", it's far less likely.  12 guns looks nice on paper for Tier IX BBs until you pay attention to having 15" guns only and your reload speed is practically the same as 16" armed BBs these tiers.

Still a great ship, but her guns hold her back.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway