You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
spook_1971

New French BB's

36 comments in this topic

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,384 battles

Pretty Much Sums up the line, in my humble opinion....

Edited by spook_1971

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

Anglo-Gaulic hazing thread?

Gerard-Depardieu-drunk-WWI.jpg

The most French man in history.

Edited by _RC1138

[HYDRO]
Members
1,559 posts
3,751 battles
10 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Anglo-Gaulic hazing thread?

Gerard-Depardieu-drunk-WWI.jpg

The most French man in history.

Technically a Russian.:Smile_bajan2:

[BNKR]
Members
415 posts
2,485 battles

I got the V in the mission and...um...it's bad. Like, so very, very bad. 

It's so slow you'll wonder if your crew could paddle it to the battle faster. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,384 battles
12 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

I got the V in the mission and...um...it's bad. Like, so very, very bad. 

It's so slow you'll wonder if your crew could paddle it to the battle faster. :Smile_teethhappy:

Un Skunk Lew Pew!:cap_look:

Edited by spook_1971

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,836 posts
11,533 battles

Wow, I am impressed you managed to play the whole line already to come to such a decision....

Spoiler

Or did you only play one match in the t5 and one in the t6...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

I managed to get the Tier 5, 6 and 8 French BB in missions and so far I have had zero issues with them being competitive and am actually having alot of fun with them.  I  mean on paper aside from the Alsace, they all look a little lackluster but they seem to do decently enough once you get them into the game.  They have flaws, lots of them especially if you are looking at them compared to what we would consider the ideal BB but they seem to work despite the flaws.  Also in some ways they are very refreshing to play.  The Normandie for example has some of the worst BB guns in the game especially in terms of penetration and struggles with BBs.  In fact it is almost impossible to citadel BBs with its guns.  However even with this, the number of barrels, 12 allows you to do consistent damage to BBs if your shooting at the superstructure rather than the waterline and they literally have the perfect amount of penetrating for dealing with cruisers.  What makes it really enjoyable is its speed and agility as it feels more like your playing a cruiser than a BB.  

I think the most interesting thing about the French BBs isn't going to be how powerful they are but rather how much character they bring.  They are different and because of this, they are refreshing to play. 

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
1,200 posts
7,368 battles

I am enjoying my Normadie.  After a couple of games, I have decided that it is more like a slow CA than a fast BB.  It has a lot of guns and can do decent damage to the superstructures of BBs and to cruisers in general.  It can't brawl with BBs, but can get itself out of danger in a hurry if needed.  The Normandie can avoid long range shots quite well and can torp beat like a monster because it is so nimble.  Time will tell about how well this line is, but they seem to be fun for now.

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,384 battles
21 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Wow, I am impressed you managed to play the whole line already to come to such a decision....

Hide contents

Or did you only play one match in the t5 and one in the t6...

ooops, caught a troll....And pretty much yes, played up to the t9 from test, no need to be impressed....

troll.gif.8999b8d4699f0a000c461aef0a20974f.gif

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,256 posts
2,029 battles

Considering much of the line is overtiered (imho) and buffed in some hilarious manners to compensate... I'm not surprised they're lackluster. Bretagne should've been a tier IV, Normandie a tier V, and Lyon... Yikes. How about 'no' or one-off premium?

[WGA]
Administrator
691 posts
251 battles

We'd certainly appreciate any specific feedback you'd like passed along to the team in our official feedback thread:

[LOU1]
Members
3,023 posts
8,125 battles

I happen to like playing the Lyon. Might be because as a CL/CA/DD main, I prefer the battlecruiser meta.  These all seem more like really big cruisers in some ways.  I experimented with speccing for secondaries in the PTS, liked it and am using it on the live server. Between a quarter and a third of my damage comes from secondary hits/fires. Not a strong brawler, but it will pepper ships that get within 7.2km.  I have issues finishing BBs on my own, but it works well in a team.

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles
3 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

The Normandie for example has some of the worst BB guns in the game especially in terms of penetration and struggles with BBs.  In fact it is almost impossible to citadel BBs with its guns.  However even with this, the number of barrels, 12 allows you to do consistent damage to BBs if your shooting at the superstructure rather than the waterline and they literally have the perfect amount of penetrating for dealing with cruisers.  What makes it really enjoyable is its speed and agility as it feels more like your playing a cruiser than a BB.  

You forgot to mention that the HE fires at 921 M/S. I played my first battle with her last night with Jean-Jacks Honor captain. So I had a 10 point captain. I ran an odd configuration as a kind of test. First row I ran Preventive Maintenance, second Expert Marksman (JJH has faster turret rotation). On the third row I ran Demolition Expert and on the fourth I ran IFHE, just to see how it would go. Well we won, I don't know if the IFHE helped at all but the 921 M/S HE velocity is nice. Although I didn't get to test the AP much, which by the way is far slower at 780 M/S. I would presume that the AP can citadel ships at distance with plunging fire, even though it might struggle with citadeling (I don't thing citadeling is a real word) BBs close up and mid range. I am sure that I am probably half moron to run IFHE on a battle ship, but at that velocity I was thinking that the HE shells may have some really good penetration for closer in duels. The fire chance is kind of low at 26% and I kept it there with Demolition Expert and Victor Lima signal flag. IFHE also enhances the secondaries so that's a plus. As long as she keeps winning, I'll keep her like this and see what happens. If she is losing a lot, I will change the forth line skill to concealment or AFT. I suppose I will have to go test her myself to find out what it can do and at what distances. What do you think about this @LittleWhiteMouse am I half moron? You are my go to mechanics guru. What's your opinion @NoZoupForYou?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

I thought I made my feelings on Normandie perfectly clear.

64vHNSC.jpg

• Cool 2

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles

I just don't like them. But I don't mind killing them. You see a ton of Bretagnes in tiers 4-7 right now, and they are about the lousiest ship on the water - absolutely pleasant to engage and wonderfully simple to eviscerate. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

I am really not sure why so many people are having issues with the Normandie.  Here are my stats

17 Battles

22 kills

1.29 kills per battle

61,299 Average Damage

105,048 Max Damage

1,414 Average XP

47% win rate

I added win rate here to show that I achieved those stats despite winning less than half my battles so it wasn't a lucky series of win that buffed my stats.

Now I know a single individuals performance is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things but I am no where near an elite player and the stats I have managed to put up over a fair amount of battles have been decent, and as good as I have managed to put up in ships such as the Arizona and Queen Elizabeth.  In fact if I go on Warships.today and compare all the Tier 6 BB stats, even considering the comparatively low number of battle played, the Normandie is hanging in there just fine and definitely isn't trash.  I definately don't agree and the stats don't support the "fail wrapped in suck" evaluation Mouse gave her.

My personal experience with the three ships I got through the missions has been decent.  Bretgane I will honestly admit isn't impressive at all, in fact fail wrapped in suck would have found good use with her but the Normandie has been alot of fun to play and while I don't really like the Richelieu for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, especially since I love the Dunkerque, I have actually managed to do well in her at least statistically and I feel she compares favorably to the other Tier 8s in the game. 

Also the Lyon and Alsace seems to be well regarded.    The Lyon is supposed to be extremely fun and impressive with those 16 guns belching forth destruction and based  on the Youtube review, the Alsace is supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread by most people who have play tested it, at least if it hasn't been changed as of today's release. 

So overall just like all the other BB lines, you got some bad, some decent to above average and a few stand outs that are really good.  No problem found...well I do have my misgivings about the Tier 10 because it honestly looks like a downgrade from the Tier 9 rather than the pinnacle of the line. That may be a problem.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles

T5: played one match, wasn’t impressed

T6: very good in T6 operations, bit squishy in PvP,  Bantha fodder for any CV

T7: that was fun

T8: good, haz AA, no need to research extra range or engine

T9: how to not love that BB

• Funny 1

[-AA-]
Beta Testers
297 posts
2,039 battles

where is the premium Battleship for tier 8 at

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,060 posts
14,457 battles
5 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I just don't like them. But I don't mind killing them. You see a ton of Bretagnes in tiers 4-7 right now, and they are about the lousiest ship on the water - absolutely pleasant to engage and wonderfully simple to eviscerate. 

Bretagne makes New York look like a Bismarck.

• Cool 2

Members
460 posts
12,400 battles

I don’t think they’re bad from what I’ve seen so far.

Tier 7 Lyon. It’s pretty OP to be honest. 16 AP shells are a CAs worst nightmare at tier 7.

Tier 8 Richelieu. Only played 12 or so games in it. Decent but not OP like the Lyon. 8 guns in front is nice but if you get too close in you’re likely to lose them.

Tier 9 Alsace. Only 5 games in but I love it so far. It seems more like a big AP-slinging cruiser than a BB. Great for getting out on a flank and shredding ships broadside. 

That said, I don’t think the French are going to change the meta at all. They don’t punish like Montys and Yammys. 

[ABDA]
Members
238 posts
3,526 battles

I love the T7 ship and the T9 Alsace is fun as hell.

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,648 battles
3 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Another line of HE spammers, just what the game didn't need.

I don't know where you got that impression. The HE on the ships Ive played (t5-7, plus Alsace on test server) are in line with other non-British BBs in regards to HE performance. They dont get the special 1/4 pen rule that Brit and German BBs get, and have similar fire chance and max damage numbers to non-Brit BBs. Anyone who plays French BBs as primarily HE spammers is screwing up just as badly as they would be playing USN, IJN, or KM BBs as HE spammers. They're leaving a lot of potential damage on the table and allowing opponents to avoid the crippling alpha strikes that BBs need to deliver to fulfill their role.

Like any other non-British BB, French BB HE is highly situational and should be used very rarely.

• Cool 1