You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
457th_FighterGroup

Hood worth buying?

56 comments in this topic

Members
217 posts
2,043 battles

I've been thinking about buying another premium lately. Mainly a credit booster(Missouri is out of question) but preferably a T7 I can use in Ops. I already have the Gneis so Scharn is a no go as well.

I've been thinking about Hood. When I was kid I loved this ship, not knowing how terribly designed it was. Is this ship worth the doubloons or is it just a piece of rubbish? Thanks

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
4 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

I've been thinking about buying another premium lately. Mainly a credit booster(Missouri is out of question) but preferably a T7 I can use in Ops. I already have the Gneis so Scharn is a no go as well.

I've been thinking about Hood. When I was kid I loved this ship, not knowing how terribly designed it was. Is this ship worth the doubloons or is it just a piece of rubbish? Thanks

In-game, it's rubbish.  You'll struggle with damage output.

[TBW]
Members
6,418 posts
12,065 battles

I am worse than the average player with it. I kind of quit playing it. Even though my average  damage and xp is better than average. I do better with the Nelson. Kind of.

Nelson 7 BB uk.svg 17 58.82% 58,940 1,535 1.1 0.7 1.1 35% 30% 0% 897
Hood 7 BB uk.svg 40 42.50% 56,114 1,340 1.4 0.8 1.8 43% 28% 0% 989
Edited by Sovereigndawg

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

My opinion of the Hood is a gudbote, However I own a Scharnhorst and a Gneisenau both of these ships  Can handily take out the Hood. Scharnhorst is great for operations and Random play with a great earning potential.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
3 minutes ago, Sventex said:

In-game, it's rubbish.  You'll struggle with damage output.

But you’ll murder dive bombers with a DF weapon that killed more Briton’s than Germans, (the AA rockets.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

But you’ll murder five bombers with a DF weapon that killed more Briton’s than Germans, (the AA rockets.)

That's the gimmick, but is it worth all that money?  That's the question of the day.

[WOLF6]
Members
315 posts
4,578 battles
5 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

The Gneisenau does not play like a Scharnhorst , I have both and about the only thing in common is the torps . Big difference in guns , big difference in DPS .

Members
217 posts
2,043 battles
4 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

The Gneisenau does not play like a Scharnhorst , I have both and about the only thing in common is the torps . Big difference in guns , big difference in DPS .

I played the Scharn when they were renting it out, it was a lot of fun, maybe more than Gneis but I'm quite happy with Gneis.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

That's the gimmick, but is it worth all that money?  That's the question of the day.

Probably not; but despite that; I actually kind of like Hood.

Speed? :Smile_great: Turn radius that forced you to violate the neutral waters of a non-belligerent small country? Not so much... :Smile_sceptic:

1 minute ago, retic1959 said:

Yep. I can kill things with Gnei; not so much with Scharn.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
24 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

It has good armor and speed but absolutely atrocious accuracy and shell integrity. If you hit (most times you wont), and if you penetrate (most times you wont) ... the damage you will do will be so weak that you'll be furious. This ship is extremely RNG dependent.

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

No.

Spoiler

No. No. No. No. No.

Spoiler

Nonononononononononononono.

Spoiler

Spoiler

No.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

No.

Spoiler

Spoiler

ABOLUTELY NOT.

Spoiler

Get the Nelson instead.

Spoiler

...Or the Warspite.

Spoiler

Or even the Alabama.

Spoiler

No.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF6]
Members
315 posts
4,578 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yep. I can kill things with Gnei; not so much with Scharn.

The Scharn murders cruisers and DD's , the Gneis is better at taking on other BB's , both are fun . I'm respeccing the Gneis for AA as a nasty surprise for annoying CV's .

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,549 battles

I have all three, they're each fun in their own ways.

Hood plays like a tier 7 Kongo as long as you don't try and snipe with it.

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,616 battles

I really wanted Hood because she was the Hood.  I got lucky and got her via the Santa crates.

Meh.  In game, she is very underwhelming.  Appropriate, I suppose, but still a pity.

I have Scharnhorst as well.  This is a fun premium to play.  There have been polls on this forum (when the poll sub-forum was still a thing) asking for opinions on the most FUN to play premium...one to rule them all.  Scharnhorst was the walk-off winner.

If you like British naval history, get Hood.  If you want a ship to play in this game, get Scharnhorst.  Or just about any other premium besides Hood, Krasny Krym, or Huanghe (another ship I got from the Christmas crates).

[INTEL]
Members
8,599 posts
25,764 battles
16 hours ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

You should buy Scharn because Hood lacks the DPM to do Ops well. I have played Scharn, Nelson, Gneis, Hood, and Doy in Ops, and Scharn is the best. Lots of cruisers have to be killed, and it always has torps when you need them. The guns are wonky but since you have shells every 21 seconds it hardly matters.

Whereas Hood's dispersion is frustratingly awful, you only have 8 shells every 30 seconds, and the pen is not good. I'd much rather go into a T7 Op with a Fuso than a  Hood, in fact. Hood is incredibly tanky and difficult to cit, which makes her good for Randoms, but tankiness is not an important quality in Operations. DPM is the most important.

Scharn is probably the single best premium you can buy, lots of fun, powerful, flexible, and tanky.  Good earner in operations and Randoms. 

[-BMV-]
Members
1,196 posts
5,668 battles

I guess I'm the only one who likes Hood.

Her guns leave a lot to be desired but they are workable.

Her speed helps you get in the right position with a large health pool and control engagement ranges. Which is important because getting to close to anything is a bad move in Hood. You need to give time for your guns to work, her shells are bad so treat every BB as if it were German. That is don't shoot at the main belt but above it this helps with her shells tendency to shatter. 

I found her fun but she takes patience. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
31 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I do better with the Nelson.

I don't like the Nelson; who ever thought putting all your turrets on one end of the ship was a good idea should be shot, repeatedly. Having said that, most players I've run into playing BBs say Nelson is head and shoulders above Hood in game.

[TBW]
Members
6,418 posts
12,065 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

I don't like the Nelson; who ever thought putting all your turrets on one end of the ship was a good idea should be shot, repeatedly. Having said that, most players I've run into playing BBs say Nelson is head and shoulders above Hood in game.

I did find it quite odd that the WTR on the Hood was better than on the Nelson it just shows you what those stats are really worth.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

But muh Dunkerque!  Muh Richelieu!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

I did find it quite odd that the WTR on the Hood was better than on the Nelson it just shows you what those stats are really worth.

Exactly.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

But muh Dunkerque!  Muh Richelieu!

Got behind a Nelson in a Cleveland and ran off 30K worth of his HP killing him because it couldn't target me with those main batteries (Thank God!). In my opinion it's like trying to play half a ship.

[INTEL]
Members
8,599 posts
25,764 battles
16 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I think the people who play the Hood purchased it, like it, and play it well, whereas Nelson was free XP and obtained by a much wider range of players.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles

Love the speed, pretty maneuverable.  But the gorram guns are just maddening.  You'll be lucky if you hit anything, and if you do hit it, here's hoping RNG decides to give you some damage.  I'm usually able to look past certain things but the guns on her just make me keep her in port...  those AA guns are a laugh when they get going though. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,649 battles

It's a fine boat.

Not the greatest, but Fine.

If you like the Kongo, the Hood is basically the same thing.