You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
firemedic1428

Coming back from a loooooong hiatus, anything noteworthy?

12 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

Took a long time off WOWS since the beta, reinstalled WOWP (just wow is all I have to say) so I reinstalled WOWS hoping it had fared better over the year or so. Anything noteworthy or lines good for someone to get back into the swing of things?

Thanks

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Welcome Back  I suggest you read the wiki to see what has been added and what is new

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,267 battles

Update 7.2 starts tomorrow morning(02:00 Pacific time), so, new things happening then too. 

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
12 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Took a long time off WOWS since the beta, reinstalled WOWP (just wow is all I have to say) so I reinstalled WOWS hoping it had fared better over the year or so. Anything noteworthy or lines good for someone to get back into the swing of things?

Thanks

Gun bloom has changed. Firing from smoke has changed. New lines are here. The economy has changed. Clans are better. Captain skills changed January 2017.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles

A ton has changed. If you left after CBT or OBT, you're more or less coming into a brand new WoWs (compared to back then). Here's the full list of changes. Feel free to read through them all.

Some Highlights off the top of my head:

• OPEN WATER STEALTH FIRING IS NO LONGER A THING.
  • You will be always be spotted within your gun range while firing, unless you're hiding in smoke or behind an island without any concealed enemies nearby. So if you don't have an optimal shot, don't take it lest you remain visible for 20 seconds.
  • Smoke firing has changed, BBs cannot hide and fire from smoke without potentially being detected. Same applies for cruisers. DDs and a few light cruisers (RN CLs) can still fire almost without being detected.
  • Matchmaking is +/-2 except at T3-4 (+/-1) and T5 (+2/-1). T4s will never see T6 or T7s in combat unless they were divisioned with a T5 that got pulled into a T6 or T7 match.
  • Divisions are restricted to +/-1 Tier, to prevent the old faildivisions (where a T1 appeared in a T10 game).
  • IJN DDs were nerfed into oblivion. If you didn't already know how to stealth torp and play the waiting game back in CBT, you're going to have a hard time right now.
  • The IJN in general has been mostly powercreeped by newer lines and changes to the USN lines. But they still manage in the interim. They're just not potent as they used to be.Forg
  • The USN has seen a number of QoL changes in their BB line and will soon be getting changes in their cruiser line.
  • Burning things down with HE is still a thing. Just not as much as it used to be due to several fire-related nerfs.
  • CVs are no longer outright broken and the only real factors to a game like they were in CBT/OBT. Now, IJN CVs are flexible with more squads but smaller squad counts, while the USN are specialized either into anti-German roles via AP bombs or general purpose harassers with HE bombs. They still have a slight fighter advantage over the IJN.
  • RNCLs only have AP shells. No HE shells.
  • Radar and Hydro are a thing, if you weren't around for one or both of them. Both can peer around islands and smoke, and Hydro also reveals torpedoes. Radar is longer ranged but has a short duration, whereas Hydro is short-ranged but has a long duration and also reveals torpedoes.
  • If you're looking for a somewhat friendly line to start with, the IJN, KM, or MN cruiser lines are a pretty safe bet. The USN and IJN BBs are also pretty friendly and forgiving. The KM BB line is especially forgiving, but doesn't teach very good BB skills. We're getting the French BB line tomorrow, and they're fragile (highly flammable and highly vulnerable in the high tiers to HE due to uniform 32mm armoring). The RN BB line is the old HE-spamming BBs turned up to 11. Their AP sucks at long range, but their HE melts everything.
  • It's possible to make credits now at T9 and T10, if you buy Permanent Camouflage for your favorite ships.
  • The XP/Credit earnings were changed. There is no benefit to hiding in the rear out of fear of losing credits. You will always be charged a fixed repair fee, win or lose, sunk or alive.
  • Forget almost everything you were used to in CBT/OBT. This is a new game. Learn it from the bottom up.
  • Worst of all, Kitakami is gone! Atago took her place.
Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles

Tier 3 can't see tier 5 and tier 4 can't see tier 6 in battle.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

Thanks for all the info! Think I might try the KM CA line as those weren't even in the game last I played. 

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

In the last year-ish: Smoke firing change is the big one recently, only DDs and some cruisers can do it. Deep water torpedoes are also thing now(better in every way, but can't hit DDs). USN CV load-outs got changed.

If you haven't played since the beta...

Stealth fire no longer exists, hooray for less OP cancer.

Radar exists, and is very strong. Basically a really short duration but very long ranged hydro.

Premium ships for free experience have been added.

Balance changes to the original lines, USN BBs are durable, and their cruisers carry radar. Some IJN DDs carry a torpedo reload boost now. And there are more of them.

PvE operations for protecting convoys, raiding bases, etc

Campaigns to earn rewards my completing missions

Collections to earn rewards by completing missions to receive parts of things via RNG

6 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

IJN DDs were nerfed into oblivion.

This is objective, and statistically wrong, the IJN is still not bad. The nerfs came with buffs (the TRB consumable, gun improvements) or came vs OP things(the Shimakaze in general)

The match maker has been greatly improved (still sucks, but sucks in a mostly fair way)

The mini-map (and HUD in general) has a ship ton of new options and features. Explore your settings.

Class distinctions are blurred: Russian DDs are cruisers, British cruisers are DDs, British BBs are cruisers, and German cruisers can feel like battleships.

The captain skills have been changes significantly. http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc is your friend.

19 point captains now serve a purpose (training other captains with their excess XP)

New maps and game modes. (epicenter)

Cyclones(!) reduces the draw and detection distance of all ships to 8km mid way into a battle.

CVs are still broken, but you don't see them much above tier 6. There are premium versions.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
13 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

A ton has changed. If you left after CBT or OBT, you're more or less coming into a brand new WoWs (compared to back then). Here's the full list of changes. Feel free to read through them all.

Some Highlights off the top of my head:

• OPEN WATER STEALTH FIRING IS NO LONGER A THING.
  • You will be always be spotted within your gun range while firing, unless you're hiding in smoke or behind an island without any concealed enemies nearby. So if you don't have an optimal shot, don't take it lest you remain visible for 20 seconds.
  • Smoke firing has changed, BBs cannot hide and fire from smoke without potentially being detected. Same applies for cruisers. DDs and a few light cruisers (RN CLs) can still fire almost without be detected.
  • Matchmaking is +/-2 except at T4 (+/-1) and T5 (+2/-1). T4s will never see T6s in combat unless they were divisioned with a T5.
  • Divisions are restricted to +/-1 Tier, to prevent the old faildivisions (where a T1 appeared in a T10 game).
  • IJN DDs were nerfed into oblivion. If you didn't already know how to stealth torp and play the waiting game back in CBT, you're going to have a hard time right now.
  • The IJN in general has been mostly powercreeped by newer lines and changes to the USN lines. But they still manage in the interim. They're just not potent as they used to be.Forg
  • The USN has seen a number of QoL changes in their BB line and will soon be getting changes in their cruiser line.
  • Burning things down with HE is still a thing. Just not as much as it used to be due to several fire-related nerfs.
  • CVs are no longer outright broken and the only real factors to a game like they were in CBT/OBT. Now, IJN CVs are flexible with more squads but smaller squad counts, while the USN are specialized either into anti-German roles via AP bombs or general purpose harassers with HE bombs. They still have a slight fighter advantage over the IJN.
  • RNCLs only have AP shells. No HE shells.
  • Radar and Hydro are a thing, if you weren't around for one or both of them. Both can peer around islands and smoke, and Hydro also reveals torpedoes. Radar is longer ranged but has a short duration, whereas Hydro is short-ranged but has a long duration and also reveals torpedoes.
  • If you're looking for a somewhat friendly line to start with, the IJN, KM, or MN cruiser lines are a pretty safe bet. The USN and IJN BBs are also pretty friendly and forgiving. The KM BB line is especially forgiving, but doesn't teach very good BB skills. We're getting the French BB line tomorrow, and they're fragile (highly flammable and highly vulnerable in the high tiers to HE due to uniform 32mm armoring). The RN BB line is the old HE-spamming BBs turned up to 11. Their AP sucks at long range, but their HE melts everything.
  • It's possible to make credits now at T9 and T10, if you buy Permanent Camouflage for your favorite ships.
  • The XP/Credit earnings were changed. There is no benefit to hiding in the rear out of fear of losing credits. You will always be charged a fixed repair fee, win or lose, sunk or alive.
  • Forget almost everything you were used to in CBT/OBT. This is a new game. Learn it from the bottom up.

This ^ covers a lot of it except a few extra things like some Carriers can carry AP Bombs which can do sever damage to BBs and I think CAs as well if they get a good hit and Graf Zepplin CV is most hated / infamous of the AP Bomb users.

Also there are weather changes on some maps sometimes, they call them cyclones and near start of battle there will be a timer showing how long until cyclone arrival, once it starts visibility will stop progressively until it finally drops to 8km and lasts until pretty much end of battle usually. Radar can give you temporary visibility boosts in those conditions.

They also added unique Captains has like Admiral Yamamoto and each of them has special abilies depending on which one. The French Captain and Admiral  Yamamoto are the only ones still currently available 

• Cool 1

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
Just now, firemedic1428 said:

Thanks for all the info! Think I might try the KM CA line as those weren't even in the game last I played. 

A very good choice in my opinion. They are mostly fragile long ranged ships with very fast and accurate guns. They have some of the best AP damage, but the penetration is often iffy. The tier 10 is currently considered the best in the game as it can do anything, except sneak, with ease. Famed for being immune to battleship AP at close ranges. The line is very meh until tier 5. But has no "bad" ships from then on. (opinion, of course)

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
52 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Thanks

French Battleships drop tomorrow.  Quad turrets for days!

DwW4ZVF.jpg

• Cool 1